Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Friend - probably with awakened Kundaliny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  06:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi friends,

I am really glad I found this site! My own practicing is ok, but I have a friend who went to a spiritual camp this summer /in August/ and as of then she feels really bad!

They did there many activities as meditations and yoga and Qi kung exercises, but they also had a holotropic breating session that took about 4 hours. She assumes that this is the thing which caused all her current problems.

She is in deep depression - she had a vision that a new galaxy was created but it was all wrong and what she did will cause the end of the world. She thinks that she is a threat to her family, that she did sth what will harm them. Cries permanently and is not able to talk about anything else. She feels a strong pressures at heart and also at her stomach and head (not so strong).

Her friend saw her in his dream rounded by a dragon... maybe this could be Kundaliny?

I told her to do 5 min SPB and 5 min mantra meditation + 10 min REST. + all kinds of grounding activities like walking, eating heavy meals,...

Was I right? Is it a good idea to ask her to do SPB and meditation when spiritual practices caused her current problems?

Many thanks for your insight and advices! They are really appreciated also by her family who try to help her, but nothing seems to work..

Eli

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  08:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eli,

So sorry to hear about your friend. You are such a wonderful friend for helping her. Yes, excess pranayama (breathing exercises) can lead to these symptoms. You have already given her good suggestions. I would ask her to walk barefoot, if she has a backyard and in and around the house or even a park. Laying down on the grass/soil helps ground the excess energy.If you are able to or her family-Take her out for lunches. Spend time with her and just talk to her about worldly stuff not her symptoms. Ask her to engage in activities that she loved. Listen to fun uplifting music, dance. Serve in little ways if she is able to. Eating heavy food which you already mentioned. Looks like she needs lots of grounding at this time.

I believe SB has helped some people but she still needs to keep an eye on how she is feeling. Mantra meditation may be too much for her at this point. Once things smooth out she may be able to take mantra meditation. I hope this helps.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 09 2015 08:11:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eli,

I'm not sure she should be doing any practices right now. Depression is sort of a low energy state which could benefit from pranayama or Bhakti. The reason I wouldn't recommended practices now is because she's having strange thoughts. Pranayama can sometimes increase these in my experience.

In AYP, we are taught to favor practices over experiences. She is clinging to a past experience. She'll have to let it go or continue to suffer. I think her practice should be some type of physical labor and eating. After a few days of that, she should be able to engage in the world, go out to lunch with you, etc. ( like Sunyata said)
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eli

Welcome to the forum.

Such excellent advice from Sunyata and Lalow. What you can do Eli to help your friend is to research all the various grounding techniques. Dancing, singing, praising God, strenuous exercise, feeling gratitude are delightful ways of balancing energy. There are many other ways. As Sunyata said, laying down on the ground is very effective. If you know something that will make her happy, try gently coaxing her to try it. Stay with her, be patient and unceasing in your efforts to comfort her.

Above all, your friend needs to release her idea of separation. Obviously we are all in this together. We are all so tied together that we are inseparably One. To feel individually responsible for the universe is a misperception that results from being miserable. I think most of us have been there and done that, and it's no fun at all. It's like you're temporarily swallowed up in a black hole and can no longer perceive what is real and true. We are all responsible. Collectively what we truly are is Divine Love. Through you, her other friends, her family, and the natural world, this divine love is eternally radiating and enfolding your friend. You might continually remind her of this interconnectivity and help her to feel it.

For her to regain a balanced perspective, she should cease all spiritual pursuits. Including spiritual reading, discussions, or listening to spiritual music. It will be some time before she is ready for meditation. Her attention needs to be on her body now, on physical exercise and relaxation and also on being with the people she loves. She needs to forgive herself for everything she may have thought, felt or done ... and engage in activities that used to make her enjoy life. Continually being in the presence of friends and family will probably be very beneficial for her. If she tries to isolate herself, do what you can to prevent that. This is a time for her to be with those who love her.

Hope this helps. All the best to you Eli on your spiritual path.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Dec 09 2015 10:43:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading what has been shared she has come in contact with her own mind from the outside as a witness and she has lost her balance.

She is feeling both disconnected from her mind and her emotions and not anchored to anything, the depression is symptomatic of all these things and is her system attempting to find ground and crying is perfectly ok.

There is only 1 thing you can do. Be there for her as much as she wants and love her tell her everything will be ok, hold her if she will let you or a parent a Mother would be best and just rock this dear sweet child even if she is 50 and just to hang in there this is only temporary and will pass.

No Deep Meditation at all no spinal breathing.

These are too strong right now the most she should consider is focusing on the point between the brows with a full belly yogic breath and just feel the breath coming in and going out. Allow it to take whatever tempo it will but slow is better.

She will likely cry allot and that is good her psyche has been traumatized, but will heal and find balance again.

The heart is too emotional and not all emotions are pleasant what is needed mostly is her mind finding it's seat, it's balance again.

This will settle the mind and give her balance from her place of command. Let her sleep as much as possible. She will regain her balance soon enough.

Tell her what she is going through is okay and it is going to be okay this too shall pass.

These things can happen but there is no reason to expect it is her new normal nor that it will remain so. That it is going on at all is proof it is temporary and will soon run it's course.

Oh and next time take it easy with groups of nit wits teaching when they do not know what they are doing in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Hi Eli,

So sorry to hear about your friend. You are such a wonderful friend for helping her. Yes, excess pranayama (breathing exercises) can lead to these symptoms. You have already given her good suggestions. I would ask her to walk barefoot, if she has a backyard and in and around the house or even a park. Laying down on the grass/soil helps ground the excess energy.If you are able to or her family-Take her out for lunches. Spend time with her and just talk to her about worldly stuff not her symptoms. Ask her to engage in activities that she loved. Listen to fun uplifting music, dance. Serve in little ways if she is able to. Eating heavy food which you already mentioned. Looks like she needs lots of grounding at this time.

I believe SB has helped some people but she still needs to keep an eye on how she is feeling. Mantra meditation may be too much for her at this point. Once things smooth out she may be able to take mantra meditation. I hope this helps.

Sunyata

Hi Sunyata,
Many thanks for your reply! I knew I should ask you experienced members as I am new in this! :-)I also thought that SB could help... Read some threads here where people were saying it helped them to even up the energy... But on the other hand she really needs to be careful as you say...
What is great is that her family (mainly mom) is an excellent support for her. They were looking for help but it seems that everyone has a different theory:-( and up to now nothing helped....
Many thanks:-)
Eli
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
#327;
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi Eli,

I'm not sure she should be doing any practices right now. Depression is sort of a low energy state which could benefit from pranayama or Bhakti. The reason I wouldn't recommended practices now is because she's having strange thoughts. Pranayama can sometimes increase these in my experience.

In AYP, we are taught to favor practices over experiences. She is clinging to a past experience. She'll have to let it go or continue to suffer. I think her practice should be some type of physical labor and eating. After a few days of that, she should be able to engage in the world, go out to lunch with you, etc. ( like Sunyata said)h

Hi lalow,
Many thanks for your reply! You are all so kind to reply so fast!
My friend's thoughts are really strange.. I was even thinking that they are not hers... Though noone is able to convince her that it is not true.. She keeps telling that it cannot be changed and even though it seems odd it is true:-(
you all are probably right that she should finish all practices... It is such a difference to see somebody affected by spiritual practices in real ... I wouldn't believe the energy might create such a mess in the mind:
Eli
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  2:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by parvati9

Hi Eli

Welcome to the forum.

Such excellent advice from Sunyata and Lalow. What you can do Eli to help your friend is to research all the various grounding techniques. Dancing, singing, praising God, strenuous exercise, feeling gratitude are delightful ways of balancing energy. There are many other ways. As Sunyata said, laying down on the ground is very effective. If you know something that will make her happy, try gently coaxing her to try it. Stay with her, be patient and unceasing in your efforts to comfort her.

Above all, your friend needs to release her idea of separation. Obviously we are all in this together. We are all so tied together that we are inseparably One. To feel individually responsible for the universe is a misperception that results from being miserable. I think most of us have been there and done that, and it's no fun at all. It's like you're temporarily swallowed up in a black hole and can no longer perceive what is real and true. We are all responsible. Collectively what we truly are is Divine Love. Through you, her other friends, her family, and the natural world, this divine love is eternally radiating and enfolding your friend. You might continually remind her of this interconnectivity and help her to feel it.

For her to regain a balanced perspective, she should cease all spiritual pursuits. Including spiritual reading, discussions, or listening to spiritual music. It will be some time before she is ready for meditation. Her attention needs to be on her body now, on physical exercise and relaxation and also on being with the people she loves. She needs to forgive herself for everything she may have thought, felt or done ... and engage in activities that used to make her enjoy life. Continually being in the presence of friends and family will probably be very beneficial for her. If she tries to isolate herself, do what you can to prevent that. This is a time for her to be with those who love her.

Hope this helps. All the best to you Eli on your spiritual path.

love
parvati

Hi parvati:-)
Such great advices and help! Thank you very much
That black hole you mentioned.. I think this is exactly as she feels. It is evident that her belief is a complete nonsense but somehow she is wired too deep in her mind.
Step by step it should improve but the last 3 months were really tough for her family. Sometimes I think that also traditional medicines for relaxation could help. Personally I was in depression once and cried many months. After I got medicines from the doctor I was able to gather my powers and start to fight for a peace in my mind. This is not spiritual solution I know but once depression becomes too deep.. I do not know...
We will see

love
Eli
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  2:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by So-Hi

Reading what has been shared she has come in contact with her own mind from the outside as a witness and she has lost her balance.

She is feeling both disconnected from her mind and her emotions and not anchored to anything, the depression is symptomatic of all these things and is her system attempting to find ground and crying is perfectly ok.

There is only 1 thing you can do. Be there for her as much as she wants and love her tell her everything will be ok, hold her if she will let you or a parent a Mother would be best and just rock this dear sweet child even if she is 50 and just to hang in there this is only temporary and will pass.

No Deep Meditation at all no spinal breathing.

These are too strong right now the most she should consider is focusing on the point between the brows with a full belly yogic breath and just feel the breath coming in and going out. Allow it to take whatever tempo it will but slow is better.

She will likely cry allot and that is good her psyche has been traumatized, but will heal and find balance again.

The heart is too emotional and not all emotions are pleasant what is needed mostly is her mind finding it's seat, it's balance again.

This will settle the mind and give her balance from her place of command. Let her sleep as much as possible. She will regain her balance soon enough.

Tell her what she is going through is okay and it is going to be okay this too shall pass.

These things can happen but there is no reason to expect it is her new normal nor that it will remain so. That it is going on at all is proof it is temporary and will soon run it's course.

Oh and next time take it easy with groups of nit wits teaching when they do not know what they are doing in the first place.

Hello So-Hi,
Great thanks for your reply and insight!
You are probably very right about no spiritual practices at all. But this helplessness is awfull.. Just to wait until things will become smooth again:-( difficult..
I absolutely agree with you about people teaching sth where they are not aware of consequences for others... But were not aware of this until what happened to my friend. Such a price for not knowing...
Once again many thanks!

love
Eli
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Eli, you are a wonderful friend. If it's been months, she may need to see a doctor especially if she's not showering, eating, or going outside.

Sometimes, I see things (visions), and it just turns out to be part of a movie I'm going to watch or some book a friend is reading or someone else's weird dream. In my experience, it's best not to try to figure all this stuff out. It came bring mental suffering.

Edited by - lalow33 on Dec 09 2015 4:34:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  07:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Eli I know I write very long messages and there may be a language barrier but do re-read what I wrote about the breathing technique it is a spiritual practice.

It is a more mild one that can help center the mind, right now from your description her mind is somewhat diffused and spread out the point of the technique is to draw the mind back to a stable point instead of being like sand flung across a room.

However even this may be too much in which case it will take the time it will and having blood work done with a doctor is not a bad idea, there may also be a chemical imbalance that therapeutic drugs from a licensed health practitioner may be able to prescribe and help take some of the edge off of what she is experiencing and help speed her reintegration and recovery.

Mind comes from Body the two are inseparable do not think the body mundane and the mind somehow more special both are codependent both are expression of spirit both are spiritual and one very much depends upon the other, no harm in seeking medical help.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eli,

I completely agree with lalow and So-Hi. If things don't get better with all the grounding activities, it may be good to see a mental health professional.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eli,

I will second everyone else here in saying that your friend needs to concentrate on grounding activities as much as she can, and also avoid all spiritual practices. I have spent many years helping people who are going through difficult kundalini awakenings, and unfortunately, when I ask people what spiritual practice they were doing before hand, the name holotropic breathing, comes up quite often. Re-birthing is another that is often mentioned. I have never practised either of them, but it does sound as if they could be slow versions of what we call bastrika, or "bellows breath", in yoga. Bastrika is an advanced practice which should only be taught at a later stage, when the student is ready.

The good news is, that if your friend is going through a kundalini awakening, then with effective grounding techniques, things can be brought under control in a relatively short time. It is important to get her out in nature, walking every day if you can.

There are three points in the body, called "granthis" in yoga and it sounds from your description as if the energy in your friend's body is attempting to pierce the second of these which is the heart centre. The good news is that when it does, your friend will be in a much better space. Even if it does not, when things calm down she will be in a much better and stronger place from which to move forward. So don't despair. Give her strength and she will be fine.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

ChemEng

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  7:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eli,

I am new here although been a silent in the background for a long while. I am only just trying to recover from depression. My symptoms were different, I withdrew myself from everything and kept within my room all the time, not able to do much, not care about anyone or anything, wanting to give up everything, not able to sleep then lying in bed all day, tons of procrastination and anxiety. Also avoided eating. It is very strange it takes over the mind very difficult to control or for others that have not experienced it cannot understand.

I too found on these forums comments about SBP/DM helping some. So I continued only to find I went into overload with large break-out of urticaria (rash) which had a burning sensation and moved around the body also could not sleep due to the excess histamine at which point I stopped all practices and after couple of days got deep pain in my chest, after 1 hour could not tolerate and was not sure if it was something critical. Went to the hospital for diagnosis, fortunately the ECG did not show anything.

All advice you have got here is very good. I was advised by my doctor to take SSRI medication but I did not take them for personal reasons, speaking to others who have suffered from depression have found them to help but they are primarily selective to serotonin, but the chemical imbalance could also be due to other chemical imbalances such as endorphins, dopamine, etc. Take advise from the doctor.

This is what I have found very useful for depression for myself:

- lots of grounding - long walks everyday, running, exercise
- Asanas - surya namaskara, all backward bending, standing and twisting asanas (I found this in book called "Asana pranayama mudra bandha" by Satyananda Saraswati) - note there are contra-indications for many asanas as indicated in the book, care is required
- Ayurveda - Since I had pitta depression, I used gotu kola (from book by Vasant Lad and advise from ayurvedic doctor) - must get advise for this
- book called, "the upward spiral" by Alex Korb, very good advise on how to recover from depression with explanation about chemical imbalances and causes.
- getting adequate sleep at the correct time
- engaging with people really helps

I am much better now and lot more aware, still struggling with lack of willpower and still lots of procrastination. Recently joined crossfit training, although can be intense but the coaches are very good and allow for gradual build up, the engagement with people as it is a very friendly community and different new activities everyday is really helping.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  09:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ChemEng,

Welcome to the forum.

Good to hear that you are getting positive effects from your practices and from getting regular exercise. If you are running into overload issues with Spinal Breathing and Deep Meditation, then either self-pacing your practices down to a manageable level, or switching to more gentle practices can help. In the case of Deep Meditation, switching to using the breath as a meditation object, for a while, can help, instead of using a mantra. With Spinal Breathing, switching to alternate nostril breathing for a time will be more gentle.

You are already using effective grounding practices by the sounds of it.

The rash you describe is a common kundalini symptom and goes away after some time. It is connected with purification being pushed out through the surface of the skin. Also the experience of pain in your heart is common, and also goes away as the heart chakra is cleared and purified.

You may find this lessons useful:

Kundalini symptoms, imbalances, and remedies

And this page from my site describes the practice of breathing meditation.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  2:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Sunyata, ChemEng, So-Hi,

Many many thanks for your replies and advices!

We will see what will finaly work for my friend. I think that grounding might be a solution as during the past weeks when my friend was facing a special active and non-spiritual activity, she suddenly felt much better for that specific time.

So-Hi, I really enjoy your long replies:-) do not worry about the language barrier;-) You older members provide so many great insights to meditation practice, so I enjoy reading you now for several weeks... and your persistance with meditation and yoga is so catching:-) I am even able to wake up at 2:40 in the morning to do my morning meditation Currently only 2,5 months into practice but with profound experience of peace and improved relationships and work performance

Christi, if only we knew about how that breathing session might be dangerous:-( This is a hard lesson to be learnt.. But the milk is spillt and now it is up to her to gather her powers and utilize your advices to ground and avoid any spiritual practice.. When she is finally better , which I hope will be soon, she may proceed further and I think that she may make a leap forward:-)

Will keep you posted regarding my friend and how she is,

Once again many thanks for your care!

Eli
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ChemEng

Hi Eli,

I am new here although been a silent in the background for a long while. I am only just trying to recover from depression. My symptoms were different, I withdrew myself from everything and kept within my room all the time, not able to do much, not care about anyone or anything, wanting to give up everything, not able to sleep then lying in bed all day, tons of procrastination and anxiety. Also avoided eating. It is very strange it takes over the mind very difficult to control or for others that have not experienced it cannot understand.

I too found on these forums comments about SBP/DM helping some. So I continued only to find I went into overload with large break-out of urticaria (rash) which had a burning sensation and moved around the body also could not sleep due to the excess histamine at which point I stopped all practices and after couple of days got deep pain in my chest, after 1 hour could not tolerate and was not sure if it was something critical. Went to the hospital for diagnosis, fortunately the ECG did not show anything.

All advice you have got here is very good. I was advised by my doctor to take SSRI medication but I did not take them for personal reasons, speaking to others who have suffered from depression have found them to help but they are primarily selective to serotonin, but the chemical imbalance could also be due to other chemical imbalances such as endorphins, dopamine, etc. Take advise from the doctor.

This is what I have found very useful for depression for myself:

- lots of grounding - long walks everyday, running, exercise
- Asanas - surya namaskara, all backward bending, standing and twisting asanas (I found this in book called "Asana pranayama mudra bandha" by Satyananda Saraswati) - note there are contra-indications for many asanas as indicated in the book, care is required
- Ayurveda - Since I had pitta depression, I used gotu kola (from book by Vasant Lad and advise from ayurvedic doctor) - must get advise for this
- book called, "the upward spiral" by Alex Korb, very good advise on how to recover from depression with explanation about chemical imbalances and causes.
- getting adequate sleep at the correct time
- engaging with people really helps

I am much better now and lot more aware, still struggling with lack of willpower and still lots of procrastination. Recently joined crossfit training, although can be intense but the coaches are very good and allow for gradual build up, the engagement with people as it is a very friendly community and different new activities everyday is really helping.

Hi ChemEng,

So sorry I did not reply to your post sooner! Many thanks for your sincere advices ... there is a big chance they will help my friend too.. Though not from AYP but still she is overloaded as you were.. With her it was just linked with a vision and energy...

I am so glad that you are feeling better now and it seems that soon you will recover completely please take care and do not jump into practices too fast again you know.. we should be feeling good all day long + Rome was not built in a day stuff

Eli
Go to Top of Page

ChemEng

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2015 :  5:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi & Eli

I noticed my depression around early Aug. when it started affecting normal life although it started couple months before, the rash came in Sept at which time I completely stopped all practices, the trigger to stop was the part about the boils experience in "Secrets of Wilder" and also got some advise from Yogani. Took about 3 weeks for the rash to go changed to pitta diet as well tried all remedies that others have used on this forum (will post my findings separately). The depression is a difficult one. I did slowly & carefully resume practices only after everything settled and got some clarity thru grounding. I actually did start with nadi shodana as you have mentioned (Christi) but what I found is that breath retention with nadi shodana which I used to practice before must be avoided as this makes matters worse.

Grounding is very important, with my current state of mind I find that intense exercise seems to work fastest for me due to the mind over matter challenge during the workout. Have also had periods of nose bleed only thru the left nostril for a few days in a row and headache on the right side only, this has all gone since I started the crossfit training.

Another interesting item I have learnt also mentioned by Yogani on the Kundalini symptoms link is a balance with both spiritual and material life. Since I surrendered to life as it is regardless of the issues/uncertainties of the future there has been a positive change but I still have to sort out some out some items that keep nagging me which I need to do but keep dragging them. I am hoping once I have completed them I'll be back to 100%.

As of yesterday I've started to get a tingling/pleasant sensation around the heart centre when I meditate so am hoping it is a positive sign of further clearing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000