Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I've been around here for a while. I've read so many old post criticizing the samyama practicing, saying it's not correct, etc. After practicing it for several months, I can see some of the benefits in everyday life.

It seems to change your noticing. Example: I had a thought pop into my head, " I want lemonade". I haven't drank lemonade in years because it upsets my stomach. Not two minutes later, I was offered free lemonade. I didn't offer an money; I didn't worry about the sugar content or if it was " real" or powder. I just simply drank it and enjoyed it.

I've had so many instances like this over the past few months. I don't think I'm controlling lemonade or anything else, just appreciating what I have and what is given to me without all the mental hoopla. It's very simple, subtle, and quite nice.

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lemonade! Taste the rainbow...
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  11:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33
just appreciating what I have and what is given to me without all the mental hoopla. It's very simple, subtle, and quite nice.
Sounds wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  1:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing lalow33. Fruits of our practice.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me samyama taught me how to let go.

Like with the practice you get to the point where just the energy of the thought doesn't rise. You can feel it start to increase and then you let it go.

The same thing with a thought or desire. In my case it was nicotine. I would feel the desire and samyama taught me that as soon as I felt the desire I could let it go into silence. The physical feeling is just energy and as soon as I felt that I could let it go.

That to me is the real power of samyama. The ability to let thoughts (troubling thoughts) go into silence which equals freedom :) It reminds me a lot of neti neti.

The other side is learning that it is all about intent like lalow33 mentions. Sending out energy can be done samyama style but in the end it is all about intent.

Edited by - jonesboy on Aug 05 2015 2:35:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  4:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like the tides, DM is flowing inward and samyama is flowing outward; the two together make a practice complete. The inquiry "Who/what am I?" never fails to be answered in some form or fashion; how special is this conversation with Self! After practice, the outward flow continues; my practice is training my vessal to share my "fruits" with whomever I encounter.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  03:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lalow33,

Thanks for sharing the lemonade

I found AYP when I was looking for something to deepen my own meditation practice.
Reading the beautiful lessons I found similarities and some differences with my practice, and Samyama and solar centering.( and became AYP addict)

I added samyama and solar centering, some months ago.
Dogboy nails it for me, the tides, it makes my practice complete. I just wrote somewhere else that my life more and more is a living meditation.
I have the feeling that this is because of Samyama and solar centering. The missing link in my practices before AYP.

Thanks again Yogani for Samyama and Solar Centering (and AYP)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  10:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Thanks for sharing lalow33. Fruits of our practice.

Good one! Who knew it was literal?
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  10:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jonesboy

For me samyama taught me how to let go.

Like with the practice you get to the point where just the energy of the thought doesn't rise. You can feel it start to increase and then you let it go.

The same thing with a thought or desire. In my case it was nicotine. I would feel the desire and samyama taught me that as soon as I felt the desire I could let it go into silence. The physical feeling is just energy and as soon as I felt that I could let it go.

That to me is the real power of samyama. The ability to let thoughts (troubling thoughts) go into silence which equals freedom :) It reminds me a lot of neti neti.

The other side is learning that it is all about intent like lalow33 mentions. Sending out energy can be done samyama style but in the end it is all about intent.

Thank you jonesboy for sharing your experience. I have read this type of experience about samyama many times.. It doesn't seem to match my experience.

I just seem to notice these small coincidences that happen over and over. A lot of them are desires, and I just go with them without the mental judgements about what I should or shouldn't be doing. I've also found an increasing appreaciation for man made things like simple appliances. I find myself wanting to take better care of them, clean them, etc.

Not at all where I thought this was going!. That's what's happening.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  11:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Just updating this thread. I no longer notice what I had written above. Samyama has balanced me out along with a tiny amt. of SBP and meditation.

I had lopsided crown activity( which can make you super loopy!). I now have a much more balanced crown. I used to have so much energy activity during practices. I still have lots of movement but by the time I get to the akasha repetitions, it all smoothes out.

I added samyama to asana maybe 10 wks ago? It's still super clunky. It has taught me to drop a sutra into whatever silence I have at the moment and not look for more( looking for more or "trying" is pretty much nonrelational self-inquiry for me). Even though it's clunky, I am filled with ecstasy by the time I finish.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  12:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for sharing. Samyama makes my practice complete - there is a significant difference in the extatic energy if I skip samyama. It feels like samyama is balancing the energy, it is "rounding" the extatic experience. More, after self-inquiry, it seems to me that samyama is actually a tool for probing into the nature of reality. It is like a nature-inquiry. It is another direct way to the knowledge about the nature of reality.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000