AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Repressed anger interrupts the witness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm experiencing the witness state in my daily life more and more often, but thoughts keep interrupting it. Most of the time they are angry thoughts. I imagine conflicts and situations from the past where I didn't express my anger. I note them, but it feels like a temporary solution. I'm wondering if there is a more efficient one.

Any ideas?

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  09:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Most of the time they are angry thoughts. I imagine conflicts and situations from the past where I didn't express my anger.

The past, those situations, are gone; what remains is your identification with those situations. Noting them isn't temporary, it's healing and loosening that identification. Keeping up your practice is the only thing you need to do.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  09:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi microcosm

Noting them is the solution. While you are watching those thoughts/feelings, you are not identified with them any more. That cuts off the 'energy supply' from those thoughts. Keep watching them and they will weaken and fade away. It's not instant but it works (given time and patience).

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 31 2015 12:23:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's good to hear. It's tiring to think these thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  11:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Microcosm,

This happens often. The witness I have found is like a wave. Sometimes we reach some pretty amazing heights of separation and other times we still get caught up in our attachments.

It is okay.

Over time if you are integrating those emotions that you get caught up in they will gradually lose the energetic charge that drags you back in to thought.

It is a process, a wonderful one at that.

Congrats
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  1:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi microcosm,

You have already received excellent advice. You are already noting- that's great! What I've learnt is saying "yes" to both positive and negative emotions. When I was new to "spirituality" I would identify with the positive emotions and deny the negative. I think accepting and saying yes to the emotion helps.

I go through this myself- There are times I release it in silence,witness it, catch it half way and laugh at myself and at times get totally involved. Outside of practice when the emotion is strong and it's looking like it's going to engulf me I put my awareness in my heart and face it with compassion and without fear. I drop the word "fearless" in silence. I like using fearless because behind every negative emotion anger, sadness there is some type of fear hidden behind it. The cycle will continue till the energy is exhausted in the past event. Hope this helps.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 31 2015 3:09:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly whatever it is when it happens here is watched but is not let off the hook that easy once identified, accept it fully inhale it in, if you will, bring it close inside with divine love into my heart of hearts experience it fully exhaust it and release it over and over again no matter how long it takes even take long breaks from it if it is too much all at once, then let it go whatever it is, is no less deserving of love than anything else release and letting go.

For the little stuff or pretty much devoid of energy stuff that is so old as to not be remembered any more just watching and letting go into stillness is enough.

The big stuff though needs to be actualized internally before release because sometimes there is a lesson in it still to be learned before relaese or else the release is a sham and does not work.

Awareness is sticky.
Go to Top of Page

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  1:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I used the term "witness state" incorrectly. I mean neutrally observing sensations and not thinking.

I opened a texteditor and wrote down all thoughts related to a particular recurring topic. I felt relief. I'll observe if this topic comes up again. If not, expressing feelings in writing will prove to be a good method
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  2:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If not, expressing feelings in writing will prove to be a good method

Putting it down in paper/computer is an awesome method as well.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  03:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

quote:
If not, expressing feelings in writing will prove to be a good method

Putting it down in paper/computer is an awesome method as well.

For me writing works excellent!
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  07:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When a man dwells on objects ,he feels attachment for them.Attachment gives rise to desire ,and desire breeds anger.
From anger comes delusion ,from delusion ,the failure of memory ,from the failure of memory ,the ruin of discrimination ,and from the ruin of discrimination the man perishes. Krishna to Arjuna.

Edited by - kumar ul islam on Aug 01 2015 07:52:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  07:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me thoughts are like seeds the ground of those thoughts are emotions founded on desire for something ,it could be my right of way on the road ,my opinion ,my perception of what is right or wrong ,I wish for the outcome to be in my favour ,dwelling on previous desires for outcomes are difficult but when realised that all they really are impressions left by previous unfulfilled desires one release them even if they return they do become less deep wearing away with every new day of spirit ,anger is a core trait and has many disguises and for me took a while to disrobe there costumes but sometimes they reappear in a new clothes and I am fooled
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam

reappear in a new clothes and I am fooled

Yes can relate to that
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  08:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a great lesson on transforming emotional energy for enlightenment:
http://www.aypsite.org/340.html

Even anger can be useful in the process. Angry thoughts can co-exist with the witness state, strange as it seems.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  12:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When the attachment is relased from anger, a feeling of strength rises. There is a pool of strength at the bottom of anger. It is easier to surrender when in touch with the inner strength. Anger might be just a limited/misdirected expression of this unbounded strength.

Also, when feelings are held in awareness, they "deflate" gradually, and their original energy is returned to the owner. One finds suddently releaved and energized.

Edited by - Blanche on Aug 01 2015 3:20:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000