Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP and disabilities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grimpy_OM

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2015 :  11:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I am 62 and am having some health problems. My biggest problem is OPMD. It is a late onset form of muscular dystrophy. It mostly affects my hip, and leg muscles. Also my swallowing is somewhat affected. Also i am having some peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness) in my hands and feet.

At the beginning of this year I started AYP. I learned transcendental meditation in 1974 and had a few lapses in my pracice over the years. I still think I have 30+ years of deep meditation. (I am hoping will give me a few "get out of jail free" cards against over practice )

So far I am stable up to Yoni mudra Kumbhaka with no problems. I have some heat in various places, sweating, and yawning. I've searched these so I understand what is going on and none of them are causing discomfort. I did have to go back to meditating in a chair since my knees didn't like the twisting of the recommended seating.

One of my concerns is that I can't do any exercise. If I need grounding I'm not sure what I could do. I can walk about 200 feet and my hip muscles are shot. Standing for over a minute starts to get uncomfortable. I've designed my home and property to allow me to enjoy them using a golf cart, and trails that I previously made through the woods in anticipation of the problems I have now.

I do have other what I believe are grounding methods and I would like your opinions. I live on a river, I have a few acres of woods that I can retreat to. I have a tractor and places I can scrape down to bare earth and lay there (naked if necessary). If, or should I say when, I have problems do you think I have adequate grounding opportunities?

Do you think I have a way of grounding if I go into some type of overload?

Also associated with the muscular dystrophy is my need for 11 to 12 hours sleep every night (since 2009). This seems to affect my morning (sometimes it is after noon) meditations. I seem to have ADD unless I go for a quick golf cart ride to shake off the stupor of sleep. Anyone see any issues from this much sleep and then meditating?

I no longer work so I can do what is necessary to continue my journey. I just want to head off or prepare for any problems that my come up

Thanks.

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  02:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you can push tongue on palate and push energy down the front of the body into the ground through the tongue. also body doesnt have a grip on you the way it does say a 20 year old. overloads might not be as bad, im not sure. ive never been 62 lol

Edited by - adishivayogi on Jun 21 2015 5:35:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  06:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thankyou for sharing maybe just giving us your exsperience of your life on this forum can help you ground and also elevate us blessing and love
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  08:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Grimpy OM and welcome!

Being out, in, of the earth are all terrific grounding opportunities. I especially like the image of you lying in freshly tilled soil! Being barefoot also helps; skin in contact is the key. Soaking in baths and bathing in streams/ springs are also good. Taking your cart out into nature, breathing the earth and "communing" with nature are great options for you.

Don't be too concerned about using a chair to meditate. By using rolled up socks at your perineum you can adequately simulate siddhasana, and some gentle yoga postures can be accomplished using a chair. If you feel the immediate need for grounding, you can eat a heavier diet (meats, dairy).

By building grounding activities into your everyday, whether or not you need them, should go a long way to assuring you won't need them. It sounds as if your current routine is working quite well for you, and that you are managing your yoga and life with good balance. Having a disability forces you to be mindful of your health and circumstances, so in that way you are ahead of the curve. Good for you in being proactive!

After thirty years of meditation, I'd say it has paid dividends and you seem to have a good handle on things. Your balanced perspective can be an asset on this forum to others who may be facing similar difficulties. Thank you for weighing in and good luck!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Physical health issues are grounding in and of themselves. We are pulling ourselves back to reality with grounding and not escaping from it. It's not like a lightning rod. if people want to feel they are channeling energy in that way by a form of electrical conductance then that's fine, but it's not the only type of grounding, just more suitable for them.

I don't know why I think this for you, but it popped into my head. Get an indoor bonsai tree and learn to wire and form it. That can be your grounding activity.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  6:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not about grounding, but you might look into high grade cannabis oil if your state allows it. very good alleviation of symptoms for some. good luck to you.
Go to Top of Page

Grimpy_OM

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  11:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the kind words. I don't have many life goals that I can still work towards so AYP is one of the few things that I am using to give me a something to look forward to.

adishivayogi - "I've never been 62". That made me smile. Be careful it will sneak up on you before you know it.

Little Turtle - I don't think South Carolina is on the fast track to legalizing cannabis. I've never done illegal drugs and don't plan on it but pain management might push me to take a vacation to Colorado to see what help I can get. For now I hope I can enjoy life without anything else to cloud my mind.

Dogboy - I've read many of your posts and value your advice and opinions. I'm sure I will be needing you again somewhere down the road.

kumar ul islam - thanks for the love. Right back at you. I'll take all that I can get and give.

karl - you must have some kind of connection with me. Plants have become an important part of my life. Bonsai may be in my future, but for now I have a lot of fruits, nuts, and berry plants outside that I visit every day to see how they are doing. Today my wife and I had a few mulberries, black berries and raspberries. We also planted two ferns in a shade garden that is becoming one of my favorite spots on our property to visit.

Every day while I am resting after meditations I pray giving thanks for all my blessings, ask help for those that are struggling, ask help in dealing with my limitations, and ask for help in my journey down the AYP path. I will start adding thanks for these forums that give me help and support when I most need it.

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2015 :  11:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
haha if i were 62 i wouldnt even care about my states laws. the only reason cannabis prohibition works as much as it does is drug screening. hopfully work is a thing of the past for you. you know-the worlds work. God's work never ends
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  12:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Small bonsai tree-giant redwood. Beyond relative size is there any significant disadvantage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000