AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 question on compassion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Seeing an animal being abused today I felt compassion and also sadness, and pointlessness. I wondered also.. if I didn't care if it was in pain or not I would have had a pleasant day (now I have a yucky emotion). So having compassion for something makes us suffer? If there are avatars and gods, then they know a lot more about all the creatures who are suffering and so they must be suffering along with them - if they have compassion.

Also, what does this consciousness want out of these experiences. There's no way to know, and it doesn't seem like there is a plan to me, or really knows what it's doing, where it's going. The reason I think this is because it wouldn't send someone with a great message 2000 years ago but waste it because of a small (but significant!) mistranslation. If there was a real intelligence and purpose then it surely would not have failed because of a mistranslation. It would have ensured that the real message got through to the people at the time they needed it.

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  3:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
love and blessings to you dear brother
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  4:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Needed that kumar blessings to you too
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2015 :  4:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Seeing an animal being abused today I felt compassion and also sadness, and pointlessness. I wondered also.. if I didn't care if it was in pain or not I would have had a pleasant day (now I have a yucky emotion). So having compassion for something makes us suffer? If there are avatars and gods, then they know a lot more about all the creatures who are suffering and so they must be suffering along with them - if they have compassion.

It is the abuse, the injustice, that is making you suffer; it may has well have been done to you. Your compassion is the antidote, your call to action, to directed attention, to changing what you are able.

While the consciousness is us, it is impossible to know the Grand Scheme until we delve into it, to surrender and open to learning about our true Selves, one sit at a time.
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Dogboy. That's the thing, I wasn't able to do anything, just watch. No action was possible. If I could surrender it to the divine plan or grand scheme then it would have been easier to handle. But I know nothing, at present, of the scheme. It's still bothering me today anyway, but I don't want to forget about it. It's there still, clear in memory, and I don't want to shut it out if it wants to stay. I want to understand.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  12:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Know for a fact, that yoga will aid you in your quest for understanding.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  2:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me of a few words said by sri ramana: if you take something, you take from your self and if u give something.. Then you give to yourself

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2015 :  12:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I probably have years of yoga ahead of me (I'm 26), but I want the understanding now. What I'm thinking is this: Can I understand this one event, ever? Maybe when I've laid the groundwork so to speak (become a highly advanced yogi)? But I hope I still remember the event then so I can find out the reason, otherwise it will have to be put down as a pointless event

Love Ramana's wisdom. Slowly going through Talks with Ramana Maharshi. What a book!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2015 :  1:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joseph:

Ignorant action is always pointless, other than in the lesson it provides about our true nature expressing as compassion, and as inspiration to take concrete steps to further unfold the divine within us.

The more we are moved in that direction by demonstrations of ignorance, the less we will suffer and the greater will be our ability to reduce the ignorance in our own actions and in the actions of others. A single light can dispel a lot of darkness.

The One is the many and the many are the One.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani

I sometimes get a glimpse of this - that the many are simply expressions of one life. However, not everything is uniform, there are forms, and when they're abused the desire to understand why is strong, but each time we're unable to know why. There are theories but they are of no value now.

A question that came to mind today was this: is the desire to understand something really an egoic desire?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2015 :  9:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Joseph!

The desire to understand something is the engine that keeps you looking for an answer. From a relative viewpoint, the answer to this situation might have to do with animal rights, human values, non-violence, karma, etc.

From an absolute viewpoint, the answer is unexpected and difficult to understand without the direct experience - Yogani gives you this answer succinctly:

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

The One is the many and the many are the One.

Keep up your practice, and your understanding will deepen. You might want to release this question in stillness at the end of your samyama.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The yucky emotion may have been due to judging the person who was abusing.

This is the beauty of forgiveness: we aren't doing it as a gift for the other guy; we are doing it as a gift to ourselves.

If we don't forgive someone, then we carry the image of the bad actions with us, because we are holding on to the incident as unfinished. If we finish it with action of vengeance, it is converted to our karma to carry even longer.
The act of saying why? why? is a way of holding on to someone else's bad actions.

But if we forgive, we can let go right now; truly a gift to ourselves.
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Blanche, thanks for your answer. I figure that's what's to be done, keeping up with meditation. I've not got to samyama yet. It would be good to get to the direct experience, as you describe, of the absolute.

Cheers, Etherfish. The emotion came up later when I was thinking about it, trying to find a reason. There was no judging or anger about it. Only a sense of confusion and incomprehension. I desperately wanted to find some meaning in it.

It will fade out of memory soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000