Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Newbie - seeking direction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sidjor

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  8:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I just came across this site a couple of days back and am really enjoying reading all the material and eager to practice.

I'm formally learning iyengar yoga at present, but don't have any lessons for meditation and pranayam. i'm very keen on trying this system of meditation.

The question i have is - if i start with the 'I AM' meditation today..how will i know when i'm ready to go to the next stage.

Do i have to do pranayams as recommended on AYP simultaneously or can i just stick with the meditation.

thanks,

sid

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  9:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sid,

You definitely don't have to do pranayama along with Deep Meditation. Deep Meditation is the first practice to begin with, then if you feel inclined to add on another practice, pranayama would be the one to add. After that, there are quite a few more, including samyama, which is using stillness to cultivate miracles.

How will you know when to add pranayama, or any other practice? The inner guru will tell you. Trust your intuition, and go with the flow. Self-pacing is the name of the game. Establish a foundation of serenity first, then everything else falls into place.

Best wishes on your journey.
Go to Top of Page

sidjor

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  10:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank u Bodhi Tree
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  05:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Always wanting to get into top gear before starting the engine ....

I remember those days. Funny how we try and apply ambition to something which is inherently in opposition.

Take your time Sidjor. Go slow and go slower.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Sidjor!
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello sidjor.

Sounds pretty plain and basic doesn't it?

Almost too plain and too basic?

Yeah that is what I thought years ago and went my own way with a mostly Pranayama based system only and wound up right back here.

Deep Meditation really is just as simple as favoring the mantra by listening to the vibration and not forcing it just easily favoring it.

Getting to the 20 minute mark twice daily is the goal but maybe starting off with 5 or 10 or 15 minutes once daily is good too this way there is no pressure of hanging in there for 20 full minutes, this is what I have to do and generally stick to 10 minutes going to 20 when the inner guru ok's it.

These are examples of self pacing not given as advice but just posted up for consideration.

The inner Guru will tell you when is most certainly true but if curious george the monkey mind wants to experiment with spinal breathing do it before Deep Meditation but limit your self to 5 minutes.

In other traditions we were taught to use a count or a mala / rosery to perform no more than 12 of what is comparable to spinal breaths and sometimes I really think this is the best way to start as it acts like a governer to prevent overloading by too rapid of a purification of the neuro biology which can happen from overdoing it.

That being said practicing to time is a much deeper inner experience and is a superior way, but the hazard here is you may be performing too much atleast at first.

Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  2:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome peace love to you
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2015 :  04:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sidjor
I'm formally learning iyengar yoga at present, but don't have any lessons for meditation and pranayam. i'm very keen on trying this system of meditation.

Hi sidjor,

Welcome!

Other community members already gave you very good answers to your questions - I can't add anything to that.

Just wanted to report my experience about starting AYP coming from a Iyengar Yoga practice, as we both do : In the beginning it has been quite hard to accept that, in order to integrate AYP, I had to reduce the time/intensity allotted to the Iyengar sessions (before AYP I was doing 90’ of it almost every day). But after a while I discovered that the two practices blend toghether very well: now I do AYP twice a day including a much shorter asana sequence (only 15 minutes, sometimes even much less), and do the regular long Iyengar session only 2 to 3 times a week when time/energy feel right. Also, through AYP and especially deep meditation I discovered that the Iyengar practice also has a subtle meditative side, although it is a practice that does not include formal meditation (I think it has to do with the strong emphasis on alignement awareness of that hatha yoga approach – you kind of meditate on posture instead of meditating on a Mantra).

Have fun and keep us updated.
Go to Top of Page

sidjor

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2015 :  11:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all you guys for your messages and information !!

I know i'm with a great bunch of guys in this journey.

sid
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  03:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome sidjor,

Enjoy your practice, take your time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000