Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Having trouble with DM technique
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I could use some help! I am going to try and describe how I use the I AM mantra in meditation, because I can't shake the feeling that I am doing one or more things wrong. I apologize in advance, this post might be a little long but I have a lot to get out. Ok here I go: When I close my eyes to begin meditating (even before I begin the mantra) I feel a strong feeling of anticipation like something big is going to happen during that particular meditation session. The feeling is so strong that it feels like my heart is beating in my forehead. At this point I begin to repeat the mantra in my mind. Here is the first problem. It is not at all comfortable for me to repeat the mantra back to back without a 6 to 10 second pause in between each repetition. That is just how it is comfort-able for me to do it. If I repeat the mantra back to back without any pauses, I get a headache rather quickly. Quick repetition causes me to stay in a state of tension. My first question is: Is it ok to take that 6 to 10 second pause or will doing so directly interfere with the techniques effectiveness? My next question has to do with allowing the mantra to refine. When my mantra begins to get softer from my slow repetition I begin to feel a clear feeling of anxiety. It is as if I feel the mantra should not be allowed to disappear so I attempt to hold on to it because the main practice of deep meditation is to be repeating the mantra during the 20 minute practice. I somehow feel that if the mantra disappears then maybe meditation will not be effective during that time of the mantra's absence. Should I let it disappear or attempt to have a steady repetition? The third question I have is this: Sometimes in my meditation I have no mantra and no thought but I am aware of the situation. Can I enjoy it while it lasts or do I have to go back to the mantra right away? Thank you in advance for answering my questions! I definitely appreciate the wisdom and advice that are on these forums!! Namaste!!! - reidmantra

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  6:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

The sensation of anticipation that you get when you begin to meditate, where it feels as if your heart is beating in your forehead, is caused by the energy of kundalini. Purification is happening in the third eye region and most likely the heart as well and it can feel like that at times. If it is overwhelming, then that is a sign to start self-pacing your practices a bit, until you come back to a manageable level. If you are O.K. with it happening, then no problem, carry on. Nothing terrible will happen.

The next sensation that you describe though is more of a concern. The mantra should be repeated back to back, continuously. So if you are experiencing discomfort doing that then that is certainly a sign to self pace your practices. If cutting back on practice times does not help relieve the tension then you could try switching to breath based meditation for a while, until things settle down? But don't start introducing pauses in the meditation procedure. It would become a different procedure at that point and hence a different meditation.

Concerning the mantra becoming refined: The main point of Deep Meditation is not to keep the mantra going for the whole 20 minutes. It is more subtle than that. The main point of the meditation is to repeat the mantra and when you realize you have lost it, to come back to it. So it is a process of continuously losing the mantra and coming back to it time after time. At first, you will find that you lose the mantra into thoughts, or sensations in the body, or sounds outside the room. After some time, you will begin to find that you will lose the mantra into silence. Even then, when you realize that you are off the mantra, you come back to it again.

Whilst this process is going on, the mantra may become fainter and less clearly pronounced. In fact, the very process of the mind becoming more still and quiet will cause this to happen. So to allow that to happen is fine, and if that means you lose the mantra more often, then that is fine too. At the end of the day mantra meditation is not about the mantra. It is about the steady cultivation of inner silence (samadhi).

If the mind is completely silent, you remain in that silence. Of course, you could not do anything else. But as soon as you realize you have lost the mantra, or you start wondering if you should be in silence or you should be repeating the mantra again, that is the point that you come back to the mantra. In that way the mantra remains with you as samadhi deepens. So basically, no, don't hang around enjoying the silence. But there will be plenty of silence to enjoy later when you have finished your practice and the silence you have cultivated during meditation begins to spill over into your daily life.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  6:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Christi! I will not introduce pauses between repetitions anymore. I did not know the pounding was the kundalini. It does not cause me any problems. I also want to thank you for your explanation about mantra refinement. I am going to go and meditate now with this new information. I will report back later on how my experience went. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I have read some of your answers to others peoples questions and you are very clear and informative. There are others too like Bodhi-Tree, Dogboy, Charliedog, Katrine, others as well, and of course Yogani!! I have learned sooooo much from these forums and feel blessed to know that if I have questions there are always people on this forum ready and willing to correct, educate and guide me in these practices!! - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  6:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to Christi's thorough and brilliant explanation, here is my response to your previous post with the same kind of questions:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....15221#129424
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2203 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  7:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello reidmantra, you are so kind

Everything about the AYP DM is about easy; easy (comfortable) posture, easy favoring the mantra, easy on any expectations/anticipations, easy on yourself when you notice you are off course. I would say if the anticipation is revving your heart rate, then continue your easy SBP to return it to normal and commence DM then. You will have episodes of purification that will rear up in the process and catch your attention. You can ease these episodes by surrendering fear/anticipation, and witnessing it as an observer.

Easy easy easy!
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  8:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bodhi-tree and Dogboy!

Bodhi-tree: I have to say that I laughed when I saw the link. I ask please for patience and understanding if I ask the same or similar sounding questions over and over on this forum with slightly different wording. It is just how I learn, process, and assimilate new information. I hope you and everyone else on the forum will bare with this style of learning.

Dogboy: Easy. That is a word as it applies to meditation that I am still trying to put into practice. Thank you for the reminders in your post.

Christi: I just got done meditating a little bit ago and though I repeated the mantra back to back without pauses I did NOT get a headache at all. I now believe that my headaches were due to the struggle of wondering how to repeat the mantra in my meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  8:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Better to ask plenty of questions than none at all! You are doing great! Your bhakti is strong, and that is what takes us all the way.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  03:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

quote:

Christi: I just got done meditating a little bit ago and though I repeated the mantra back to back without pauses I did NOT get a headache at all. I now believe that my headaches were due to the struggle of wondering how to repeat the mantra in my meditation.

Yes, certainly straining over correct procedure can give someone a headache. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  04:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by reidmantra

I had been about to reply 'when we find ourselves off the mantra then gently pick up the mantra again '

During meditation is easy to think it must be a certain way and of course, at that point we are off the mantra without realising it. It's strange to say it is possible to be repeating the mantra whilst being off the mantra. That's all part of the work. It is the very early stages of seeing what our minds are up to. It's the first time most of us have explored our thoughts consciously. It's like looking in a mirror for the first time and not yet having an awareness that the image is our reflection. It takes a few attempts and minor lapses to metaphorically ride this new bike.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000