Kriya and DM
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BeezBuzz

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2015 :  02:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
I started off doing Kriya, then solely AYP practises, but have restarted Kriya a few weeks ago.

Though dharana, or normal meditation, isn't required, is there anything to b gained by keeping DM? Is the rise of inner silence different through Kriya to AYP?

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2015 :  12:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
a rose is a rose by any other name.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, you may find info about that in this article
http://lahirimahasayakriyayoga.org/....VXNcPXbtZyU

Also, remember to practise the original Nabhi kriya, which is very close to AYP's Deep Meditation
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  9:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BeezBuzz,

to your last question, it is similiar in some aspects and different in others.

As Will Power pointed at, original kriya yoga uses huge amounts of mantra and with this you have similiar effects to DM. But as all mantric work in kriya yoga has a focused object and is accompanied either by breath or physical movement, the mantra itself does not become the primary tool for going into silence. The approach in kriya yoga for silence is more precisely linked to the flow of life energies within the body, namely by the control of the 5 main types of pranic flow:

- kriya pranayama - addresses both the pranic and apanic currents in the spine, neutralizing both currents, resulting in the awakening of the samana current together with full stillness
- navi kriya - addresses the samana current more specifically, which draws in both the pranic and apanic currents (and all the others too), resulting in full stillness
- yoni mudra and also navi - both address the udana current aswell, for which I have no personal insight regarding its function
- maha mudra - adresses all currents, especially the vyana current, which flows through the whole body-mind, resulting in friction free, balanced and smooth progress

In short, AYP brings about silence mainly through DM, while Kriya mainly through kriya pranayama. Some kriya lineages add another dharana phase at the end of the session to either the 6th or the 7th chakra to go even deeper into silence.

Most important, happy practice :)
Go to Top of Page

BeezBuzz

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  01:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the responses and Holy for the great insight.

Last night I happened to read from J.C Stevens' Kriya book him addressing this topic. He explains how the progression to Samadhi through normal meditation (dharana) leads to Dhyana, yet through Kriya, pranayama is quickly doing a similar thing and paving the way to Dhyana.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  11:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi I disagree, Deep Meditiation does not yield the same results and there is a definate benifit to keeping DM.

Kriya and all of the wonderful Kriyas that make up its practice do lead to Samadhi states but it is just not the same as Deep Meditation. Yes this is being opined by one who has been a long time Kriya Practitioner and has learned from different teachers not just one school or a book.

Now that Chest has been thumped to my point.

It is undeniable that Kriya leads to Samadhi, leads to stillness and silence but in this experience it is still lacking what deep meditation completes and is also a system that is prone to overloading those who follow it and at worst as it did with this person tilled soil but failed to plant a good crop so many, many ugly weeds grew.

It was discovered that after doing all of the Kriyas of the Lahiri Family that if Deep Meditation was added there was a completness and fullfillment that without it was lacking, furthermore lying down resting really makes a very big difference.

What were the differences?

1.More grounded and smooth life.
2.More stable feelings.
3.Even more inner Silence.
4.Actually witnessing subconcious crap coming up and releasing while getting off the mantra of i am then easily favoring and returning to it time and again.
5.More loving open heart.
6.More radiance and estatic conductivity during the day.
Overall a better experience of being alive. How anyone can put a price tag on that is truly a wonder.

What has been discovered is that the AYP System has allot of the same features of Kriya enough that there is no real reason to favor Kriya anymore over something that has proven more beneficial here.

My Current Daily Practice is like this.

AYP Heart Brething when it feels correct to do so Inviting Jesus Christ into my heart.

Lahiri Family Talabya Kriya 50 Times

With me Spinal Breathing from Root to Brow is very energetic with Golden White Light shining at the Brow. And a lusterous deep rich velvety red at the root. When inhaling I Enhale and feel energy in the core of the spine as it pulls the vagrant errant energy dancing on the surface of the body into the Spinal Nerve and this is moved up and down constantly. This energy is very ecstatic and at the root the pole is feminine and at the brow is masculine.

Maha Mudra Heel to perineum. only 1 time each leg then both legs with 3 Spinal Breaths performed per position easily favoring the practice While in stage 3/4 Kechari,Shambhavi Mudra, Using Mula Bandhi and Drawing the lower abdomen up while inhailing then releasing both on the exhalation. During Inhalation the chin comes off the chest and the neck becomes straight and during exhalation the chin returns to the chest this is allowed to be directed by what feels natural to do.

Spinal Breathing Using with all the above described Mudras and Bandhis but the chin to chest only occurs infrequently and sometimes it wants to tilt back with mouth open as if being fed by the Mamma Bird but still in Kechari. When it feels correct the tongue dances above the bone to a softer spot and Ashwinin Mudra may begin of it's own, all the while favoring the practice as all this activity goes on it is very beautiful and then becomes very peaceful and stillness. a timer for 5 Minutes is usually set and sometimes 10 if it feels correct.

Using a Mala I discovered that 5 minutes equalled 15 to 16 spinal breathes so roughly 3 minutes per spinal breath as there is allot of naturally occuring Khumbaka so respiration reduces to 3 breaths per minute. This is roughly what is recommended to beginners in Kriya 12 to 14 rounds for beginners, there is no attempt to control the speed of the breath other than allow it to be comfortable.

Deep Meditation 10 Minutes most of the time and self pacing between 15 and 20 minutes when it is felt to try. Have to be very careful here as it is so easy to overload not wanting to come out when the timer goes off.

1 final round of Mahamudra as described above to balance the energy in the system and then lay down for what ever feels correct amount of time sometimes up to 30 minutes.

May this sharing be found useful. It is acknowledged these opinions may not be agreed with and that is ok just want to give.

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2015 :  4:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
The difference between original Nabhi kriya and DM is basically the mantra and the place where you place it. For me Nabhi is less prone to overload than Deep Meditation. Even less overload if you practise Maha Mudra at the end
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
I would heavily agree with both Holy and So-Hi, from my own personal experience.

I originally started with AYP's practices for 3 months. Then I had switched and practiced the Kriya Yoga techniques from J.C. Steven's masterful work, and previously Ennio Nimis' free online books, thinking that more kriya would be better, especially if it were from the Lahiri Mahasaya lineage. I learned the same thing So-Hi did -- there is absolutely no substitution for AYP's Deep Meditation. Spending more and more time on kriyas yielded little more benefit to my daily life than 10 minutes of kriya. I was practicing for more than an hour twice a day. Even with Lahiri's "Mental Kriya", it just wasn't at all the same. Every once in awhile I would have a great experience during meditation, but AYP's great experiences were consistent and reliable, whereas it wasn't with Kriya Yoga. Eventually so many weeds overtook my progress in Kriya, despite all my efforts, that I gave up and came back to AYP. And my efforts in AYP are already being deeply rewarded.

The system of: | Asana -> Pranayama -> Meditation -> Rest | is the most sublimely perfect sequence and execution to yield the fastest progress you could possibly attain. When I was about 21, I practiced from a book called, "A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya". At the point in the courses where it had me practicing postures, followed by pranayama, then mantra meditation (japa), after which I would rest on my mat. I made serious progress very quickly and at the end of 2 months, before I began the next lesson (and subsequently a completely different technique of meditation), I experienced complete absorption in samadhi with the internal sounds two times. So, this is a system of sequential practices that works, and I personally believe is the most effective and efficient. AYP, ftw!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000