Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 starting out too fast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eric

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  07:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I´m now doing the AYP practices since roughly 4 1/2 months, and so far, after a bit of experimentation also, my bhakti drove me to implement a 15 minute asana routine + siddhasana during the sitting practices, 10 minutes of spinal breathing with mulabandha and sambhavi, then 3x Yoni Mudra, 20 minutes of meditation and since one week also basic samyama.
So far I already have a good inner silence and a gentle but pleasurable amount of ecstatic conductivity going on :)

However, during the last 3 days I started to feel a bit tired and slightly uncomfortable at times, so I read through the forums and eventually started to get really concerned of creating imbalances and maybe even developing oversensitivity on the long run, just because of not giving my nervous system enough time to catch up with the energy flows and everything, as I now see that I went through too many practices far too quick.

Well I guess I was just too glad to have found such an awesome source of knowledge, which kinda turbocharged my desire to make progress!

But the last thing I want is to suddenly not be able to do any practices anymore some time later, so I want to self pace in advance to stay safe.

Would it maybe be ok to just do regular SBP and DM, plus asanas only before the afternoon routine?
Would it be okay to keep mulabandha and sambhavi during pranayama? (I like that)
When could I actually think about adding samyama safely?
Or should I completely go back to just meditation for a while?

I´d be very happy if some of you guys could give me a bit of advice
Thanks to everyone!

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  11:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forums, I must say, you go very fast! I know what it is to have strong Bhakti, but as Yogani says, Rome is not built in one day.

If I may suggest, I would say do your asana routine and then twice a day ,siddhasana, 5 minutes SBP with mulabandha, sambhavi and 10 or 15 minutes of meditation. Grounding and self-pace is very important, as you already know.

See for at least 6 weeks how that is....

All the best with your practice

Go to Top of Page

Eric

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks already! :) Definitely I won´t add new stuff for a few months atleast I think.

A few other things just came into my mind:
would it maybe be good to do mulabandha only on the in-breath and sambhavi on the out-breath during pranayama?
And also, just during meditation I found out that it feels nice to kinda imagine a miniature-earth at my solar plexus and feel its slow rotation there. Would that maybe be a more balancing alternative, like breath meditation for example? My upper chakras are naturally more active because of my personality, and by trying that out I now realized that the mantra kind of automatically tends to be more in my head.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Eric. Agree with Charliedog above. This is a long journey. Let the car get used to the road rather than shredding rubber left and right!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  1:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Charliedog said, pare back time wise and perhaps wait with Samyama and yoni mudra, just stay with the simple SBP and meditation for now. If muladbana and sambhavi are natural (as opposed to "clunky"), it is probably okay to keep them too; if not, stabilize the basic routine and add these next. Trying to manage the bandas/mudras on in- and out-breaths complicates things unnecessarily; perhaps review these lessons again for guidance.

Your "miniature Earth" at the solar plexus is basically Solar Centering (lesson 368) and considered a much later enhancement, so I would hold off on this too.

All in all, Eric, it sounds like things are going well, but you do need to take self pacing seriously and ramp up practice slow and steady. Once kundalini makes a regular appearance, you most likely will be dialing back on time anyway ("less is more") as your spiritual engine roars to life and sensitivity rises. Now is the time to master self pacing, so that in the future, it has become an established habit. Good luck to you!

Edited by - Dogboy on Jun 01 2015 1:10:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eric

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  2:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
alright, now a few hours after I tried it, I definitely can say that I will keep my hands off solar centering aswell, even more energy instead of stability ^.^

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  3:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

Thanks already! :)
would it maybe be good to do mulabandha only on the in-breath and sambhavi on the out-breath during pranayama?

As Dogboy says, keep this natural.
Mulabandha is only natural on out-breath, then relax mula bandha and let the breath flow in. Best is first a stable foundation, and then follow the lessons. Don't forget that these lessons describe a very long time of practices.

Walk the path step by step, this is the only way to recognize the value of every beautiful step. Enjoy!

All the best on your journey

Edited by - Charliedog on Jun 02 2015 02:34:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  04:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eric, in my first months of AYP I also added practices very quickly - it was a bad idea and I overloaded.

Self pacing was very effective and now things are fine!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000