New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  10:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello dear friends

As there are quite a few over-sensitive meditators among us, Horst and I though about starting a thread dedicated to over-sensitivity to practices, so here it is.

I'd like to begin by flagging up a recent insight I had regarding over-sensitivity - a possible cause I'd say. I personally have noticed that previously accumulated emotional baggage, stirred up by MD and SBP, causes discomfort and manifests itself as overload. I think I'm not the only one to have noticed this, Sunyata has also mentioned something similar in a post two days ago:

quote:
Originally posted by sunyata
I have to train my mind and face every emotion that arises. This is what the recent overload revealed needs to be done for a smoother journey.
I have started letting the emotion rise- this makes me go into bliss just communicating with people. I think this is obstructions dissolving.

This strongly resonates with me.
About 10 years ago, after a medical emergency I was left with a niggling pain in my lower back. I had some feelings of anger too, which I suppressed, because there was really no one to be angry with. It wasn't major, I carried on with my job and rest of my life, but over the years the issue has snowballed into a more severe back pain and its emotional counterpart of stress, tiredness and some shades of depression.

Doing significant amount of spinal breathing has always stirred up this problem for me. At some point it became clear that it was a whooper - it just couldn't come out all at once, not with any degree of comfort. So it had to be dismantled slowly, which meant I had to reduce my yoga practice and bring a lot of mindfulness into my daily life in order to stop that emotional vicious circle from feeding the problem.

I'm making good progress. Although I’m not ready yet to go back to 20 minutes DM twice a day preceded by SBP, I know that time is drawing nearer.

I'd like to put a few questions out there - What do you think causes sensitivity to practices? Based on others' experience, can these causes be removed and is it common for yogis to return to a more intense practice after an episode of over-sensitivity?

Love and best wishes

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  5:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think sensitivity revolves around the condition of the the nervous system (both in its ability to send AND receive signals). Coming from a background of using drugs and alcohol (which abrasively affect the nerves), I've had to deal with sensitivity issues using self-pacing. It's like the nerves have to be resilient enough to handle the inflow/outflow of life's phenomena.

It's tricky because there is strong bhakti, but that bhakti has to face the reality of a need for healing, hence the importance of gradual progress. Even if someone hasn't abused drugs or alcohol, there can still be over-sensitivity resulting in overload. Gopi Krishna's account of his premature awakening (in Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man) is quite brutal. What went wrong? Well, he focused too much on the crown without first purifying the lower regions between the root and the third eye. I read that book shortly after a strong kundalini blast I experienced, and learned a lot about coping and adapting.

See, enlightenment is the fruition of development. If the basics of survival, emotional maturity, socialization, and other essential foundations of character are bypassed, there will be a price to pay. For instance, when I had my semi-premature blast, I had been following the instructions of an esoteric teacher who had me doing an extreme version of sambhavi mudra, along with a silent, powerful heart-opening prayer. Right off the bat, I was trying to go for peak experiences. Well, I got what I was looking for--plus the baggage of hypersensitivity and overload. Also, I was struggling through a divorce and unemployment, so there was a lot of instability on the ground. When reaching for the sky, if the foundation is shaky, it's not so fun when you fall back down.

Inner silence is the core, but behavior and character have to be in line with inner silence, which moves us forward (cyclically) via the mechanism of evolution.

Fortunately, I have some fine tools at my disposal--thanks to AYP and other resources, including my own intuition and experimentation. Above all, it's been important to honor and recognize the importance of these realities:
1) sequence
2) priority
3) necessity
AND
4) the role of desire in navigating the implicit mechanics of development and enlightenment

We can't outsmart this game, but we can strive to master it. That is the essence of active surrender: mastery.

I'll be launching my recovery website pretty soon, and self-pacing will be a key topic of discussion. With knowledge comes power. Therefore, we can apply the knowledge of dealing with sensitivity, healing, fortification, and so forth.

Thanks for starting this topic, BlueRaincoat.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  10:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue & Bodhi,

the topic is classic, but new insights come along the corridors of time, therefore here some more clarity into it:

Different practice elements do different things, e.g. mantras stir up the mental substance and touch deeper layers of stored impressions. Repeated mantra also makes the mental substance melt into the ever present, resulting in the rise of the eternal presence which again stirs up even deeper stored impressions. At the same time by becoming more dominent, the present life energie in the body-mind melt in the ever present.

Pranayamas, e.g. SBP releases grosser impressions within the chakras and move them up and down until they lose structure and become freed life energy. By moving them up and down, these pranic flows get into the habit of neutralizing each other, resulting in the stillness of pranic flow, stillness of mind and breath with the ever present shining through.

Moving the body, stretching the legs and arms, the upper body etc. makes the life energies flow in specific directions, easing friction and by this increasing the flow of life in all parts. Stored impressions can dissolve more easily and flow into all body parts without causing unpleasant effects.

If very deep impressions are releasd by a mantra and its repetition and if these releaed energies can only flow in very subtle mental channels but hit walls on grosser levels in the body mind, unpleasant effects occur. Pranayama and also asanas can help to make the transition among all body-mind densities smooth. If the mantric practice has reached the level, where the everpresent starts to dominate the scene and the life energies start to flow into it, become still and melt in bliss, depending on the amount of lifeforce in body-mind, this can become a depressive state, a balanced state or samadhi-paradise. If not enough prana is flowing in the body mind, means if mantra practice happens alone and the amount of free flowing prana has not been increased, whatever life force is present, will be used up for the ever present -> body-mind will become weak and depressive. If there is sufficient prana flowing, body-mind will remain in balance and the eternal presence will be there without side effects. If the pranic intensity overflows in a free way, welcome to paradise in eternal presence :)

If asanas happen and the grosser life energies can flow freely, and if by the practice of pranayama the flow of life increases, it will transform the physics into a god. But if these intense energies cannot refine and flow freely in the mental channels or because of the lack of the habit of collecing the mental substance by the repetition of a mantra has not happened, the result will be most chaotic thinking without the ability to focus on one thing. In other words life will be paradise on the physical, emotional and energetic level, but mental work will be a mess deluxe :P

Any spiritual practice creates a habit in the bodymind which continues for some minutes and hours after the practice, decreasing in intensity.

If DM has happened for 20 minutes, the mind gets more and more used to be collected through specific pathways into a mantra and dissolved into the ever present. This will continue to happen for some more hours or half a day after the practice.

If only SBP has happened, the life energies will continue to neutralize in the spinalchannel over the coming hours.

If only asanas have happened, the life energies will flow more freely for some hours after the practice.

As observed so far, asanas themselves do not cause any discomfort, as a freer flow of lifeforce in the body-mind can only become unpleasant if some more blocked channels have to deal with greater intensities of lifeforce. Without pranayama or mantric meditation only the daily available life energies will be there to flow through the system and that amount is not much to cause any big rouble for most.

Pranayama alone can produce immense amounts of prana flowing in the body-mind with all kind of troubles. Racing and uncontrolled thoughts on the one side, burning in the physical nadis on the other side are possible. Asanas can smooth out the flow, but without a meditation practice the mental faculties will run crazy. If nomind happens by the neutralizaton onf the pranic currents through an intelligent pranayama, like with SBP, then mental laziness is still a case to deal with. Mantric practice balances this out very much.

If mantric practice alone happens, means a mantra is repeated either without localization or with, then to the experience here it has the biggest potential of intense unpleasant effects, as it stirrs up deepest impressions of the past which cause a lot of friction in the whole body-mind. The rising ever present will eat up all grosser prana and the whole system becomes exhausted very fast.

The moment all parts of the body mind are adressed in a way, that a habit takes place, which not only stirs up deep impressions, transform them into life energy, but also distributes them freely through all densities in the body-mind in such a way, that there is neither too much pressure nor not enough pressure, means if the amount of prana flowing in relation to the friction is ideal, then the whole thing goes in balance for the whole day.

In practical words, making use of all the limbs of yoga provide a more balanced approach than focusing on the one or other exlusively. I am practicing kriya yoga mainly,which has all the main three elmeents within a session, means bodily stretching, breathign and mantra. If for one day I skip the breathing, overloads occur. If for two days I skip the stretching, overloads occur. If for one day the mantra is skipped, mental dullness increase, but is not uncomfortable. When all three happen, the whole year no overloads, no problems, only the best out of yoga.

AYP also has all limbs in offer, therefore coming back to blue, have you tried out to add more physical stretching (asanas) into your daily routine? Muscle toning and running also help dramatically in making the released life energies flow smoothly in the whole system.

Food also plays a big role in causing frictions in the flow of lifeforce. chewing well, eating more easily digestable food can help. Carbs create a lot of roller coaster in the flow of lifeforce in the body-mind, a low carb diet has dramatic stabilizing effects aswell.

All in all happy practice and for tonight much blessings to all who tune into the night of shiva (=
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  09:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blue Raincoat, Bodhi and Holy- You have written beautifully. English being my second language, I’m not able to write eloquently like you all. I will try my best to be clear.

A few things that have helped me-

Self pacing is the best tool!

Yogani has already mentioned not do heavy physical exercise before meditating. I think this applies to working on the computer as well. I work on the computer majority of the time- I’ve noticed that instead of jumping right into meditation after I shut down causes overload/sensitivity. When I relax for at least 5 minutes and then prepare the body mind for meditation it is much smoother, same thing – 5 minutes rest after mediation

I have read Patanjali’s yoga sutras several times and now they have finally clicked. They are not concepts anymore. One has to practice all limbs of yoga. You may not intentionally do so in the beginning but the universe will finally direct you/make you. After you have dissolved the major blockages, dissolving the subtler ones are difficult. For me- It’s my thinking. One cannot control every thought but can direct the ones you catch to positive thinking.

For example- before I would hold resentment to people who have hurt me and drown in my own misery. You can’t avoid people who are close to your loved ones. After my awakening- I started denying these feelings because that’s not what a spiritual person does. This idea came from reading spiritual literature and misinterpreting them. And of course during peak experiences everything is perfect. But then the experiences come and go and the suppressed emotions finally come up. After enough of these cycles- recognizing the hurt but not going into stories about it has been the solution. I’m able to accept them and my emotions. Also, staying with the presence in such situations has helped.

Blue Raincoat- Have you tried Epsom Salt baths for the pain? They have helped me tremendously when overloading with too much heat, emotions and even pain.

It’s not easy to recognize what you are going through in the midst of everything. But once, the phase is over and things have integrated after months/years. Everything falls into place. This is exactly where AYP has been valuable for me- to read experiences of people who have travelled this path before me. Don’t analyze every little situation, every sensation- just do your practice, self pace if needed and live your life. The divine/universe is cleansing your body mind so that it can experience its own creation through you.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  11:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Blueraincoat for starting this thread.

Holy - that was brilliant. You have given me the alchemy (and Yogani has the tools) to resolve a long standing problem of mine - lethargy and depression upon waking up in the morning, a constant feeling of tiredness all day. Other days mental lethargy. AYP has rarely been energizing for me. Exercise and I have never been friends but I see that I will have to make the effort.

Thank you

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Horst

Austria
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  11:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Thank you for starting this thread, BlueRaincoat – very good intro.

There are already some brilliant points made yet, but what I’d be particularly interested is the following:

Is there a correlation between HSP’s (Highly Sensitive Persons as termed by Elaine Aron) and over-sensitive meditators? I am definitely an HSP and appearently 20% of the population are. So, for me it’s true, my psychological and neurobiological setup is sensitive.

Regarding the techniques and self-pacing. I do Asanas (among other physical exercises, but never before meditation). I don’t do SBP but occasionally a lighter form of pranayama instead and breath awareness meditation (10 min at the moment) and sometimes add a minute of other techniques to introduce pervasive stillness/space. Sometimes, I skip a session and only do it once a day but therefore a bit longer to go further into stillness. Of course, the question arises, is AYP for me the right thing, if I can only partially practice it but I appreciate the whole integral framework and Yogani’s interpretation of Yoga.

BlueRaincoat, it seems like you could benefit from some shadow work for your back pain, if you feel it’s primarily caused psychosomatically. Normal mindfulness meditation doesn’t quite get at it, as it only deals with conscious emotions/issues. There is a spiritual variation of it which I can highly recommend: Feeding your demons by Tsultrin Allione.

Okay, that’s my input for the moment…
Horst
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Horst

Is there a correlation between HSP’s (Highly Sensitive Persons as termed by Elaine Aron) and over-sensitive meditators? I am definitely an HSP and appearently 20% of the population are. So, for me it’s true, my psychological and neurobiological setup is sensitive.

Hi Horst: I often had the above question, although in a slightly different way ... What does being HSP imply about one's spiritual progress ... It seems beings sensitive is often regraded as a good thing in our culture, east or west. And I often regarded sensitivity a trait that is positively correlated with compassion, empathy and that sort of good qualities, which we consider as signs of spiritual progress. But one thing I am realizing these days from AYP is that all these so called good qualities are not 'good' without adequate 'inner stillness'. Without inner stillness sensitivity seems to make a person vulnerable and weak at the forefront of life.

I would call myself an HSP, but my reading about my situation is that the sensitivity happens because of over-attachment to people, situations etc, which to me signals a lack of inner stillness. In other words, I tend to be too 'sticky' in life, absorbing everything from everywhere. My understanding is that 'inner stillness' enables one to develop a teflon non-stick coating, and when compassion and empathy arises from that stage, it would be beautiful ... that's my hope, I'm nowhere near there :)

On the other hand, over sensitive meditators seem to be people who get a lot of purification with a little bit of practice .. their nervous system may be more ready for practices. (It seems this is not a static condition, meaning people may easily switch from under-sensitive to oversensitive). Based on this, I was thinking oversensitive meditators are those with some residing inner stillness, a nervous system that is slightly more conducive to purification, which may not make them HSP.

Just my thoughts ... based on my experience, based on subjective mental analysis .. I don't imply that all HSPs can be classified this way. Perhaps these are topics for academic research in future applied yoga classes:)
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  09:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is there a correlation between HSP’s (Highly Sensitive Persons as termed by Elaine Aron) and over-sensitive meditators?

Hello Horst,

Yes, I'm a sensitive person. I had never heard the term HSP- I googled it . I am a sensitive meditator. I was able to do DM, SB and Samyama for two and half years with self pacing. I have had to cut down to 5 minutes Breath Meditation these days.

quote:
Of course, the question arises, is AYP for me the right thing, if I can only partially practice it but I appreciate the whole integral framework and Yogani’s interpretation of Yoga

Yogani's writings have helped me come full circle in my life. I would have never learnt Samyama without AYP. I'm only doing 5 mins Breath Meditation. However, Samyama is a wonderful tool in daily living.

dv2014- Wow! Your post is spot on! Inner silence is the key to utilizing this gift of sensitivity. Compassion and empathy, dealing with emotions are much better coming from the inner silence.

I think sensitivity is a boon when coupled with self pacing. You see results in a short period of time and short practices.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  12:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I think sensitivity is a boon when coupled with self pacing. You see results in a short period of time and short practices.

Sunyata

Although not currently over sensitive, my Guru and parental duties steer me to streamlining practices, and to pockets of yoga opportunity throughout my day. DM is fast and deep; efficient purification is at hand. With the AYP toolbox, self pacing, (and samyama) less IS more.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  1:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Although not currently over sensitive, my Guru and parental duties steer me to streamlining practices, and to pockets of yoga opportunity throughout my day. DM is fast and deep; efficient purification is at hand. With the AYP toolbox, self pacing, (and samyama) less IS more.

Dig it.
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  11:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue

Great posts by all with lot of good pointers. I have used from all of them to do the self pacing so thanks to all for sharing the great knowledge. I personnely feels there is a very customized approach to each individual with tweaks as everybody's path is different in some way. So i have my own way of self pacing as i just sit and let the body and mind do its thing at its own. if it wants to breath and if it does not doe not. Mindful practice. after some time it will create a silence which can help in long way stabilizing for the whole day. So DM is very important

Also sometime I open my eyes and just be mindful when i am starting the meditation and after sometimes when I am ready I will close my eyes it is very helpful. It will delay the transcending because sometime even with the mindful med. just by closing eyes it automatically goes to 3rd eye and then overloads. So idea is to delay the transcending and too much purification. So I wanted to share this if you open your eyes and be just mindful and then close it when u r ready it will not overloads. i think in Yoga it is called Chit mudra. i find this to be very useful in addition to the Yogini's lesson. True verfication will be during the day if you feel better then it is working. I have tried many things but this really helps.

Now to answer your question if it is meditation or Samayama. I think yogini mentioned oversensitive meditators can do three things. Mindful breath meditation, Samyama and service. Now in my opinion there is shuttle diffeence between Samyama and meditation for the over sensitive meditators but they keep on going back and forth between two. so at the end of the day if it is working without overloading then i will continue. As for the oversensitive meditators it is important to establish the silence then rest of the things will follow.

All the best

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

Horst

Austria
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  02:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Yes, dv2014, I also think that an HSP benefits from rising inner silence even more than a non-HSP. And as you said, I am, too, like a 360 degree radar for picking up and absorbing every possible sound, emotion, vibrational energies and anything else. On the other hand, I don't think that this is the reason why I've become so sensitive, rather it's the other way round: my sensitive trait is causing that sticky-ness. And, I couldn't agree more with you and sunyata, " Inner silence is the key to utilizing this gift of sensitivity".... So, blessed are the moments of the rising witness...

At the moment, it seems to me that putting particular emphasis on (energetic) relaxation during meditation, and of course adequate rest afterwards, is a key-factor in preventing overloading. As I said above, at the moment I manage about 10 mins of breath awareness meditation without overload. So, I am enjoying "less is more"!

Regarding the correlation between HSP and oversensitive-meditator: whereas it may well be that most HSP's are oversensitive-meditators, the other way round does not seem to be true: not many oversensitive-meditators are HSP. Yeah, this would make a great topic for more scientific research.
Horst
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, I would not advise getting entangled in the identity of being a highly sensitive person. It's funny, I was talking to a buddy today who kept insisting that he is an "empath", i.e. highly sensitive to the emotions of others. I told him that claiming such an identity would only reinforce the over-sensitivity.

I've seen this pattern over and over again in Alcoholics Anonymous, where people are constantly harping on and on about being an "alcoholic". It's an identity trap, and it stifles spiritual growth.

Much better to just recognize symptoms and do what we can to dissolve them. That doesn't require claiming an identity; it just requires vigilance, self-pacing, and listening to the inner guru.

Godspeed.
Go to Top of Page

Horst

Austria
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Bodhi Tree, I agree with you. In spiritual terms we want to de-condition ourselves and not put more chains on, whether it is being an HSP or even a yogi, just drop it all. However, learning about high sensitivity for the first time, was a huge relief of a psychological burden for me. In a similar way, I guess, is the admission of being an alcoholic the first step towards cure. What each individual makes from intellectual knowledge is up to themselves. So, I don't want to toss the baby out with the bathwater...
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  2:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your great posts. I think we've got some very useful info and insights here.

Thank you Holy, Sunyata and Horst for your suggestions. I will look into all of them.

With regards to your question Holy, about adding more physical stretching into my daily routine, the answer is Yes, I am doing stronger asanas as time goes by. It was quite a turning point when I started to enjoy the standing ones (when I went back to serious yoga back in 2013 I was definitely preferring the sitting and laying down ones – I was not in good shape at all ). I definitely have more strength and stamina now. I even look more toned. There is still more to do but things are looking up. What you're saying about food sounds spot on – I’m happy to see how the theory matches what my own instincts told me to do – I've reduced carbs quite dramatically (I don't like large amounts of them any more) and have been eating astonishing amounts of dairy in this last year. I'm actually amazed where all that dairy fat has gone, as my weight has been stable despite all the butter, cheese and full-fat milk I've been eating.

The system is definitely getting stronger and that makes me think it will be able to handle more energy as well. Some days it seems like that – as if the circuitry is getting sturdier and yes, I can feel the same energy running through it, but it starts to feel more like business as usual.

The thing is, people tend to come and post the getting-more-sensitive news on the forum - that's a problem and they look for answers. But I'm wondering if there are more of the my-sensitivity-is-reducing type news that we might not always hear.

Bodhi Tree, you've been practising AYP for quite a few years now. Have you noticed the sensitivity has ups and downs? The resilience of the nerves you've told us about - has it increased with practice and did you notice that at certain times you were able to step up your practice as a result?

I very much look forward to hearing from sensitive meditators about changes over time. It would be good if this thread staid active over the months and years – perhaps we could get a picture of the long term dynamic? I will be sure to report back as/when my sensitivity level changes (either up or down).

Thank you again for all your help my friends.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  3:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Horst

However, learning about high sensitivity for the first time, was a huge relief of a psychological burden for me. In a similar way, I guess, is the admission of being an alcoholic the first step towards cure.

Yes, "learning about" is quite different than "admission of being". The first keeps a healthy distance between sense of self and acquired habits; the second marries identity with habits, thereby causing suffering.

So, do whatever works, but in AYP for Recovery, I will be presenting the case that "admission of being an alcoholic" is not necessary, and in fact, is counterproductive to successful recovery and transformation. Just as you mentioned, I don't have to announce that "I am yogi" to commence with yoga practices and sustain my devotion. All I have to do is dream with a big heart, and follow my dream of living a life of ecstatic bliss.

@BlueRaincoat:
The resilience of my nerves has increased, but mainly as a result of backing off a little and using self-pacing. For me, there still is some healing occurring from heavy drinking and drug use. I practice daily for sure, but my sessions are shorter than when I first began balls-to-the-wall. However, certain enchancements have helped, like solar centering and adding the suggested syllables to the baseline mantra. For me, samyama is incredibly effective, as well as kechari mudra (stage 4, and even stage 5 on days when I'm super-calm and abiding in the grace of Her magic).
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Blue,

here some more info regarding your good tone inspite of all the fat-intake :P

The body can use carbs, proteins and fats as a source of energy. Carbs are reduced to glucose and used for feeding all cells including the brain. When you stop eating them, stored carbs are adressed and the moment they are depleted, which takes about 8-12 hours, then the body starts to eat up the proteins in the body, means the muscles get broken down in a very ineficient way into again carbs in the form of glucose. Because of the great inefficiency of this process, the body starts to shift to using up the fats in the body by a process called ketogenesis. In other words, fats are transformed into keton-bodies, which perform in replace for glucose. What has been not known before very few years, these ketone-bodies cross the brain-blod-barrier and are used as a fuel for the brain aswell. All babies are naturally operating in this ketosis-mode and making maximum use of the mother milk to grow very fast and stable. The process of ketognesis reaches maximum efficiency after 3-5 days of no carb-intake or starts to increase over days and weeks if the amount of carbs is reduced to below 30g per day. The moment it reaches about 70-80% of efficiency the whole body and brain will be sustained by energy 24/7 without the known fluctuations that happen if the body has become dependent on carbs solely. The body can store only few amounts of carbs, but big amounts of fat.

The moment more carbs are eaten and go into the bloodstream as glucose, insulin is produced to store the excessive amount of them as fats in the body. While this the body gets very sleepy. After months and years of too much carbs, the body looses its ability to use body-fats as a source of fuel, therefore the body will whine every few hours and want to eat more carbs. Because of this reason the body-fat increases while the body still cries for more energy, even though it is FULL of fat all over the place. And the moment the available carbs decrease, the brain does not get enough energy and mental faculties also breakdown.

A good portion of carbs can make one feel very high and alive and also go into dramtically heightened states of nondual joy and bliss and intense outpourings of all kind of good qualities, but very soon the insulin production will make you fall in the same way. When the body has relearned to use his body fats as a constant source of energy, which comes by reducing carbs to their natural proportion, then these fluctuations do not happen and a more constant and much stronger energy base is formed. The body starts to use carbs and fats together. Becaue of this naturally you will constantly burn fat so to speak and will get into Tarzan shape sooner or later ;) Tarzan also didn't eat much carbs. If you look into the structure of available food in nature, fruits contain about 5-15% of carbs, legumes about 1-5%, nuts dependent upon type 3-20%, meat and fish have nearly no carbs at all. Fish and meat have proteins in the range of 20-25%, fat from 5-15%, nuts have proteins from 5-17%, fat ranging from 30-70%. Legumes also contain 5-25% proteins, 0-20% fat. This is what nature provides directly for eating. The moment manufactoring of food comes, the ratios can change completely, from extreme carbs to extreme fats to extreme proteins. Bread and pasta as examples of manufactored food contain about 60-75% of carbs.

Prana can compensate the downfall of too much insulin-production after the intake of too much carbs to some degree, therefore most advanced Indian yogis, who are eating mostly carbs and have big bellies do not suffer from any sleepiness. The sun-energy is also helping alot. But the extreme bellies show clearly that something has gone out of balance ;) In colder countries if you eat carb-heavy in the noon-time, working efficiency afterwards decreases by at least 70% to the observation here :P

As most of us do practices and directly eat something afterwards, food plays a big role in the flow of energy and the stability of the whole body-mind. But carbs are only one aspect. Digestion and metabolism is another. A body that is used to use the physical body, will digest faster and more completely in a shorter time, means denser food will not block the flow of energy, nor will carbs trouble the system too much as the body has learned to use fats constantly as a source. In other words, sports also do lead to ketogenesis, as carbs are depleted very fast and the muscles are needed very much, therefore the fats must be adressed as soon as possible by the body. Still if you constantly give the body carbs, like sugar-water or snacks, then it will not happen.

@Blue, not to forget to eat essential fats aswell. There are essential fats, essential proteins, but no essential carbs. Nuts and seeds are our friends (= Dairy fats are also good for male bodies as they promote the production of testosterone which helps in the growth of muscles and strengthens many different aspects of the male physics very much. Female bodies are less dependent in this regard :)

When it comes to the last part, coming back from oversensitivity. If you look at it practically, it is a clear topic. If only one part of the body is used to promote spiritual transformation, the success and failure is all dependent upon that part aswell. As long as that element works fine, all is fine. The moment that element gets injured and needs time for recovery, nothing can be done except to wait until that element works better again.

If you use two elements for the spiritual transformation, the moment one element fails, the other can keep doing. The delay will only be in half. If there are three elements in work, when one needs longer recovery time, still 2/3 are doing their job.

Awakening does obviously not need much body-mind-transformation at all. Still we see that the strongest and most capable awakened guys have transformed many or all parts of the body-mind in good amounts.

Less is more is true in regards of using one element. Better using less meditation but still being able to continue happily instead of suffering from too much of it. Better less meditation than no meditation. But practically speaking, if you only use one hand, then your life experience will be reduced to it. You may become extremely capable with that arm, more than others with one arm, but someone with two arms will do the same things much easier. And if he strengthens both arms, he will easily surpass the one-armed. Still someone, who not only uses his arms, but also his legs, much more things will be done by him without any big additional effort. The legs are already nature-given to be used, the same as the arms and the head! (=

With this, happy and smooth practice to all!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  4:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Holy!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  10:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
For what it's worth, I would not advise getting entangled in the identity of being a highly sensitive person. It's funny, I was talking to a buddy today who kept insisting that he is an "empath", i.e. highly sensitive to the emotions of others. I told him that claiming such an identity would only reinforce the over-sensitivity.

I think it's good to be "aware" of how your body mind functions, disregarding it is not ideal. Identifying with it and repeating the same pattern is where the issue may arise. However, once you have had even a glimpse of your true nature, it’s hard to go back to the unconscious way completely.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Feb 22 2015 11:02:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  10:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yes Bodhi Tree, I agree with you. In spiritual terms we want to de-condition ourselves and not put more chains on, whether it is being an HSP or even a yogi, just drop it all. However, learning about high sensitivity for the first time, was a huge relief of a psychological burden for me. In a similar way, I guess, is the admission of being an alcoholic the first step towards cure. What each individual makes from intellectual knowledge is up to themselves. So, I don't want to toss the baby out with the bathwater...

Yes

Edited by - sunyata on Feb 22 2015 10:59:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  11:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Holy,

Great inspiration to cut out carbs- one of my many weakness-rice, pasta, desserts
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  5:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

no need to cut them out fully. There are many many approaches to low-carb, the fitness-scene is quite advanced in their research in this regard. E.g. there is a diet, where you remain low-carb from Monday-Friday, means below 30g per day. Within these 5 days ketosis gets activated to a good degree and your energy in these workings days is top. Because the carb-reservoirs are depleted until the end of the week, two days you can eat as many carbs as you can handle :P Then continuing with low-carb from Monday. What happens is, the process of ketosis does not stop in this way and the body has even dual-fuel for several days starting from Saturday until the carbs are naturally reduced at the mid of the week. After several weeks into this kind of diet the body learns to operate in dual-mode quite nicely. Only if you eat lots of carbs for 1-2 weeks daily again, you will start to feel the sleepiness and dizziness of the insulin peaks more and more, which is a good hint to eat more natural again :P

Not to forget, there are diffeent chain-lengths of carbs, also different carb-fibre-complexes, like in fruits, where the assimilation and the insulin-peaks are much lower alltogether. So if it is only about that aspect, it can also be handled to a good degree with looking at what kind of carbs one eats. Still when it comes to ketosis and fat-deposites, the amount plays a role aswell.

Knowing this, carbs can also become handy, small children are often given some warm short-chained-carbs together with fats to get sleepy and go to bed earlier :D The problem is, most of them have too much prana flowing and also ketosis is still at work depending on age and how their parents have fed them over the years :P But give someone a good portion of pasta or pizza and he will sleep very nicely afterwards :D

Did you know, in India there are companies which give their workers 1-2 hours time after lunch for sleep? As their dishes are mainly carb-based, it is a known reaction, therefore these companies have big rooms with many beds only for this purpose :P In the country where I live, the ratio is more balanced and the remaining carb-effects people either compensate with coffe or you see half-sleeping people at "work" :D I am not a coffe-fan, low carb works best in that regard here (=

Was on low carb for half a year very happily, but am trying out the above model since 4 weeks. So far very succesful aswell, even though it felt strange to consiously eat all the chocolate and pasta etc. at the weekends :P

Back to the topic, low-carb just came as an element of stabilizing daily practices (=
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  10:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lot of info; thank you Horst, Sunyata, BlueRaincoat, Holy and all
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  12:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When talking of over-loading/self-pacing it is good to note that one cannot expect to be moving prana in the body without any discomfort at all. You will be feeling energy moving through the different parts of the body, in particular the chakras such as a tension at the third-eye; you will be feeling differently about a number of things. As long as the discomfort is not too much, we ride it out. It will pass. Don't go unnecessarily so far into self-pacing at the expense of our progress. As always common sense prevails.

The Guru is in you

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  07:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When talking of over-loading/self-pacing it is good to note that one cannot expect to be moving prana in the body without any discomfort at all. You will be feeling energy moving through the different parts of the body, in particular the chakras such as a tension at the third-eye; you will be feeling differently about a number of things. As long as the discomfort is not too much, we ride it out. It will pass. Don't go unnecessarily so far into self-pacing at the expense of our progress. As always common sense prevails.

This is so true. I believe many new yogis make this error.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  11:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Horst, Sunyata and Bodhi Tree

That is an interesting debate you are having about being a sensitive person.

It reminds me of a video clip with Eckhart Tolle, where he is explaining how things can be acknowledged as they are (what is is), but without sticking a label on oneself (or others). The later is bad because it adds to and reinforces the ego (This is what Bodhi is saying should be avoided it, isn't it Bodhi?). I guess "being a sensitive person", according to Tolle's view is a "conceptual judgement" and it freezes that feature into an identity. But it is possible, he says, to take that reality into account using "non-conceptual intelligence" - a deeper knowing, which will lead you to what is needed in that situation.

I might be making it sound more complicated that he does. Have a look at the clip - it starts as a discussion about good or bad, so bear with it for a minute at the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfEt40m2G0

@Holy
Thank you for the nutritional clarifications.
I didn't know nervous cells can feed on anything else than glucose. It must be quite a recent discovery. Very interesting.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Feb 23 2015 11:26:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000