Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Mudras with Hands
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  11:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Can we say that mudras work better when we developp energy/conductivity through AYP practices ?

I can distinctly feel the energy (discharges) through the fingers, forearms while meditating.

So, why this question : because many recommend a certain period of time per day (usually 45 minutes / day in one to three sessions) but I am wondering if I shall do less as I have possibly a better "energy/conductivity" than most yoga people which do not practice at all (except asanas).

Thanks !

greymatter

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  2:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Apkallu,

I also have questions about hands, so if you dont mind I'd like to build off your post and then maybe someone can help us both.

I personally believe that mudras work well when they arise naturally out of a need for our bodies to facilitate energy movements. You say that feelings of discharging energy might indicate that you are energetically sensitive compared to most people. It is likely that you are, based on your description, but the AYP system does not suggest that mudras or stable feelings of inner energy are indicators of excessive practice. Perhaps someone else will have more to say about that point.

Aren't specific mudras typically taught to people, who do not already perform them automatically, with the expectation that performing them will have health benefits? I have never tried to learn mudras, as they happen to me automatically. Do mudras provide specific benefits beyond benefits associated with meditation and pranayama?

Is it important or necessary to put my hands together while meditating? I often feel energy moving down my left arm, but there is almost no activity in my right arm. Would energy cross through the fingers on my left hand to the fingers on my right hand and then up my arm if I touched fingers during meditation?

Go to Top of Page

JohnWL

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  01:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by greymatter
I often feel energy moving down my left arm, but there is almost no activity in my right arm.

I've always had that "energy" begin in my left hand as well. Are you right-handed (I am)?

I read something about energy healers using their non-dominant hand to search for problem areas.

Edited by - JohnWL on Apr 18 2015 02:04:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

greymatter

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JohnWL
I've always had that "energy" begin in my left hand as well. Are you right-handed (I am)?

I read something about energy healers using their non-dominant hand to search for problem areas.

I am right handed. Has anyone else reported energy movements occurring almost exclusively in one hand?

In regards to the OP: Apkallu, the AYP system does not recommend meditation times to be longer than 20 minutes, so it seems excessive to me that some might prefer 45 mins 1-3 times per day. AYP is a very powerful system because of the energy we're trying to cultivate. Its rather intense so you might be onto something by suspecting that your sensitivity to energy means you should scale back meditation. AYP has a rigorous systematic approach to determining how long we should meditate, so that we are not overdoing it and causing problems for ourselves. If it feels right, scale back to 20 minutes twice a day or less.

Here's a list of self pacing suggestions from another thread
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1224
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Apkallu
Can we say that mudras work better when we developp energy/conductivity through AYP practices ?

Ecstatic conductivity, when it does arise, brings more power to all yoga practices. Mudras are no exception, just that we don't hear very much about hand mudras in AYP. Yogani focuses on global purification practices i.e. working along the sushumna. Hand mudras are seen more as micromanaging the energy. As Greymatter says, we simply let them happen in response to the "need for our bodies to facilitate energy movements". We don't favour them and we don't try to push them away if they occur.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  11:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry greymatter

Here is my daily practice (twice a day)

Asanas (10 min)
Pranayama (10 min)
DM (20 min)
Samyama (20 min just for the nine prayers : i know it is too much but Yogani said it is ok if you can't help it)
Rest (10-15 min)

I added recently Asanas but had to stop a little bit : too much energy to deal with during DM/Samyama

Regarding mudras during practices, Yogani also says it shall not be done during DM & Samyama for obvious reasons
But the mudras he spoke about have nothing to do with mudras with hands.

My feeling is that it helps so I stick to it and have one (basic) different for Pranayama/DM/Samyama

Edited by - Apkallu on Apr 28 2015 11:08:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000