Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 AYP Mantra Deep Meditation = Very Advanced
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  11:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i just moved on to breath meditation after experiencing tenseness in the forehead for a couple years ( to the point were people often asked me if i was upset)

i do not feel that tenseness after breath meditation. halleluja!

i know it works because it is less purifying. but is breath meditation still advancing me? (question 1)

can i sneak a mantra repetition here and there while maintaining under the too-much-purification threshold within breath meditation in order to speed up purification? (question 2)

Theoretically speaking; if i continue with breath meditation only, will i experience the brow to root connection i felt with mantra meditation? (question 3)

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  02:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i just finished my afternoon practice. i noticed myself forcing the focusing of the breath, noticed something within me wanting to take hold of something. I gave it the mantra and then found it easier to come back to the breath, then realized something. The relaxation i experienced in the first post I did so with mantra meditation turned breath meditation. that is i was repeating the mantra then i noticed my face tensing up so i held back the mantra and simply noticed myself breathing smoothly for the rest of the 20 min.

This time around i could not get that ease, i was tense even with breath, and when i would focus on the breath i became more tense. I made the split second decision (no thinking in meditation) to introduce the mantra as mentioned above and sure enough i felt as if the impulse or part of me wanting to take hold sort of dissolved and my breath was back to normal, belly untensed, face untensed

the activity afterwards, now as iam typing and minutes before is better than before this days practice, i actually feel a warm glow of balanced energy in my tummy that makes me smile for no reason, that seemingly appears only when i have a relaxed face! i feel lighter, my facial expressions truer, easier going, and clear headed. 999 times more than what i bargained for, this is the greatest thing ever!

so my question twofold: how do i let go in breath meditation, i seem to hold on to the breath just as i would the mantra in mantra meditation, (eureka! combine both breath meditation and mantra meditation! hence question 2 on original post) because right after this afternoon meditation i was sort of in between modes: the before me, tensed and uneventful, and the new me, relaxed and clear headed feeling free. i sort of had to direct my attention to breath (this was after the rest period) as if letting go. and i immediately felt the weight off, like 'phew! ok i got it i got it!, now how do i keep it!?' ((and even now as i type, when i really focus on my typing, i tense up in my belly and face, im trying now to breath it out.))
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  03:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of a challenge there Jayleno. This habit of tensing/trying to control seems to kick in whatever meditation object you are using, doesn't it?
This is what I'd do: this "something within you wanting to take hold of something", I'd direct my attention to it whenever you notice it creeping up in meditation. Also in daily activity, if you have the space to focus your attention on it.

Same procedure as for any unpleasant thoughts/feelings - don't fight it, don't push it away and don't try to "breath it out", just cradle it in awareness and accept it's there. And do that for as long as this "something" is there.

Good luck!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Apr 04 2015 03:25:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  05:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jayleno, you are doing a great work IMO!

To me it sounds like yoga has brought you to a point where you have to deal with "attachment vs. surrender".

This is a great opportunity.

Go to Top of Page

Horst

Austria
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  06:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jayleno,

I wouldn't worry about the efficiency of breath meditation regarding purification - after all, many (buddhist) traditions use it as their main tool. And for me it's the case that I currently am self pacing to 10 - 12 mins twice daily, at the moment. At good days it even takes me to a full blown non-dual realization of infinite space or stillness which may last a while into the day. And at not so good days (keeping in mind that there are no bad meditations), I just can't get "hold" of the breath because of my monkey mind. But that's okay too and part of the process.

I'd also advice not to switch between techniques during meditation. Do either the mantra or the breath technique, or drop all means and just sit with no intentions.

If you reach a point where you can meditate 2x daily for 20 mins each without any overload, then try the mantra again, if you feel inclined to switch back.

Horst
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jayleno

Yogani says it's always possible to give yourself a headache in DM and it's almost always due to some straining in the process. Thst is trying to force the mantra. trying to force out thoughts or feelings or trying to hang on to certain kinds of experiences. Do don't attempt to control the process of meditation. Even if we are meditating "right" it's always possible to get a patch of purification in the head but that's rare. So just keep the practice simple. If they means using only breath meditetion for a year I would just do it. I tried the enhanced mantra and found a bit of the same experience so I just go back to AYAM for a few minutes and try reintroducing. It's all about self pacing. There's nothing wrong with using purely breath meditation. I did that for a long time. And I believe it purifies. That's what we look at - as Yogani says the proof is in the pudding - inner silence creeping into the rest of our day. I wonder if perhaps more asana would help clear it out. You might also do a forum search of the "water breath" see if it helps. All the best

Edited by - Prem on Apr 04 2015 11:10:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  11:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have learned when meditation is distracting, I simply ask myself "is this surrender?", and a shift happens telling me it wasn't, but is now. I love yoga.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  12:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you have the right idea for you for the moment Jayleno. When i use breath meditation with mantra i also sometimes let the mantra go and just do the breath if it feels right. I just allow the breath to come naturally. Good luck. :)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  4:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jayleno,

You have received some good advice from others already. I just wanted to add a couple of things in response to your original questions:

1. Breath based meditation is less powerful than mantra meditation, but it will still allow you to develop inner silence in the same way that using a mantra does in the initial stages. So yes, it is still advancing you. You do not have the added benefit of the vibrational frequency that you get with Deep Meditation, but apart from that you have everything you need to be developing the qualities of equanimity, peace and stillness.

2. If you are practising breathing meditation, simply bring your attention gently back to the breath every time you realize you are off it. Don't be tempted to mix breathing meditation with mantra meditation during one timed session. Simply stick to one technique at a time. The reason for this is that we want to make any particular technique as simple as possible. We don't want to create a situation where we find ourselves thinking: "would this be a good time to add in a few mantras?", or "would this be a good time to switch to the breath". This kind of additional thinking is on the level of the mind, not on the level of inner silence and it would disturb the cultivation of inner silence (samadhi).

If you want to practice both breathing meditation and mantra meditation, then I would recommend doing the two separately, at separate times. It is something that I did for many years.

3. The AYAM (I AM) mantra works vibrationally to purify the sushumna nadi between the root and the third eye. So by using it, we are creating that connection in a direct way. Any spiritual practice will also purify the body and mind and by doing so will also purify the sushumna nadi between the root and third eye. But not all spiritual practices will do so directly and many will only do this in an indirect and slower way. Breathing meditation purifies the whole subtle body in and indirect and slow fashion which is why it is a more gentle technique.

Bear in mind also that the breath only works as a meditation object up to the point where we lose it as we transcend it into inner silence (samadhi). After that point we are not aware of the breath at all until we come out of samadhi or into a lower state of samadhi. The mantra still works as a meditation object even when we are no longer conscious of the breath. So ultimately Deep Meditation provides a meditation object which is still effective in deeper states of mental absorption.

Another thing to be aware of is that the tensing around the forehead can be caused by a couple of things. It can be caused by "over-thinking" the mantra. This is when we are straining to focus on the mantra, rather than lightly picking the mantra up and repeating it. This is covered in lesson 13:

"Once you have gotten comfortable, slowly close your eyes. You will notice thoughts, streams of thoughts. That is fine. Just observe them without minding them. After about a minute, gently introduce the thought …I AM… and begin to repeat it easily and effortlessly in your mind. If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside." [Yogani] (underlining added by me)

Another possible cause of tension around the forehead area is the purification of the third eye. If this is the cause then it will usually be accompanied by other symptoms such as flashing lights or swirling sensations, especially if it is going on for months or years.

So if you are experiencing this tension you could try simply letting the mantra repeat itself in a more gentle and relaxed manner and see if that resolves the issue. If the cause is the second one, then that is a good sign of progress. There are many transformations that happen in the body during the process of spiritual awakening and not all of them are comfortable or pleasant and it really depends on the level of our spiritual desire as to whether we decide to go through them or to back off and take things at a more gentle pace. It's your call.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  9:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think i can relate to "let the mantra repeat itself". ill try that.

thank you
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  05:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jayleno214

thank you

There will be a moment where the mantra comes alive.
It is so for me since one week on some occasions.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  07:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jayleno214

thank you

IMO this is very important, at least it is for me. When I start DM, I wait for the mantra to appear by itself. It usually comes up after 1-2 minutes, like a fish coming up from a bottom of a pond - first you only see an undefined shape moving in deep water, but as the fish comes up its presence becomes evident and alive.
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  8:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK so let it start on its own AND continue on its own. I'll try that too.

the letting it repeat itself is awesome. much better DM experience and afterward activity.

I've come to the theory that my facial tension is akin to sexual/kundalini frustration. ive noticed that when my spine is ecstatic my face is fine. when the ecstasy disappears I tense up. I've added 2 mins of SB with muhlabanda.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  03:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Newwaysys, I completely agree.

I am currently experiencing a lot of inmer silence although my life is actually a mess. This is for me a proof that progress has been made by just sitting twice a day AYP-style for 14 months.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000