Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 tense face : sensitive to meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  7:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been on AYP 4.5 years

one consistent problem is the tenseness of my face. during DM when following the instructions of "repeat the mantra back to back"

the mantra causes the tenseness. if I pause for a second It goes away. when I come back to it it tenses vagain. if I'm real careful going back to the mantra I can avoid the tenseness.

but its easier to wait for tenseness to subside then come back to it than being carefulb repeating it.

my concern is whether that is proper self pacing or incorrect practice of mantra meditation and I should try breath meditation.

I figure the mantra resonates no matter how fast I repeat it. right?

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
and during activity. as if I am mad. people often ask me if I am mad too.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  7:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you repeating the mantra/clinging or gently favoring the mantra? When I was repeating it, I would have that tension in the face and head. It took me months to figure that out , even though I had read the lessons for the millionth time. Gently favoring the mantra is what Yogani emphasizes.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  8:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I consciously repeat the mantra-mode. I don't force it.

if I try to go into favoring it- mode, it seems to come on its own but then it changes on its own then gets to clingy.

oh man now I realize why no one describes proper mantra repetition. it gets micro quamntum sized variables.

I've been at this 4.5 years non stop and the mantra repetition mode and experience continues to change. my question is whether waiting to repeat the mantra as a way to avoid the tenseness is OK.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  8:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"and during activity. as if I am mad. people often ask me if I am mad too."

This sounds more to me that during any mental activity you have facial tension. I have this too. People used to always think I was angry. It's a habit, a muscle habit, and because it's facial it's very difficult to break. Try not to preoccupy yourself about it. Otherwise you might try breath meditation as that is generally more immediately relaxing. Sometimes when I feel especially tired or stressed I combine the mantra with breath meditation. That is not the AYP way but it does help to relax my mind and body when I need it, otherwise I stick to the AYP method. Also some types of facial massage or pressure point massage on the face helps. It helped me with exessive brow furrowing. Hope this helps.

Edited by - LittleTurtle on Apr 02 2015 8:57:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  9:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you. I think I'm tossing Mainstream ayp away and adjusting the lessons to my comfort.

i have tons of experience in these four years that show that my practice affects how the rest of my day,week and month goes. the only thing keeping it off balance is my knack for wanting to adhere to the exact procedure. I'll put balance first and procedure in the backseat and I'll come me back to this thread a month from now and disclose how it went
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  11:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you do asana before DM to relax the muscles? Maybe try postures that involve (relax) facial muscles like simhasana (lion pose). Do you store tension in the face? I used to hold tension in my jaw but asana helped a lot. We do need to balance all 8 limbs of yoga. And there's nothing wrong with adjusting the practice to make it work for you. This is a science so we experiment

Edited by - Prem on Apr 04 2015 11:34:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2015 :  11:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I lion's pose, just before shaving
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  06:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Jayleno,

4.5 years and still struggling with the mantra repetition and everybody telling you, you are over thinking it. I sympathise.
Have you tried solar-centering? That would move your attention from the tense face to the solar plexus. Have you tried mantra enhancement? - some times that does the trick.
And smile.

Enjoy your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jayleno,

quote:
I'll put balance first and procedure in the backseat and I'll come me back to this thread a month from now and disclose how it went

Nice! Everybody is different, you have to find your own way in practice.....we can share experiences, but you have to find what works for you.

What I do or tell students sometimes, is "visualize an inner smile...".

Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  07:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charliedog gives good advice, an inner smile or even an outer smile will do wonders for your relaxation and release of tension in the face.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  4:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tell my students a tiny Mona lisa smile. It really does wonders to alleviate tension in the face. Or fake a big yawn
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  11:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've since instead dialed back to 5 mins of DM. the head jerks, strong heart beats are gone. and the tense face is gone. I do notice the strong rock like (boulder) stability that was present in 20 mins no as strong nor as present. but the easiness and easy temper I'm experiencing is what I'm planning to build on.

I had tried the mantra enhancement to no avail. I'll try the solar enhancement once I get stability.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000