AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Meditation & Vedic Chants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  10:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear meditators,
I have a question. If we perform deep meditation and then immediately after proceed to close our eyes and listen to certain Vedic mantras/chants, would there be any benefits to us?

Such as Vishnu Sahasranam or Devi Mahatmya. These chants are supposed to provide one with benefits based on the vibrations they emit. I wanted to know if there was any discussion/material on this in the AYP writings.

Cheers!

Edited by - AYPforum on Mar 08 2015 10:58:03 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  10:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  1:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by swordsaint

Dear meditators,
I have a question. If we perform deep meditation and then immediately after proceed to close our eyes and listen to certain Vedic mantras/chants, would there be any benefits to us?

Hi Swordsaint,

Yes, there are! I am a yogi who has felt lots of benefits of mantra! (not AYP) If you listen or/and chant mantra's, Vedic/chants/kirtan, it can help you open your heart chakra. The mantra's help you with purification and you feel so much more love!

Edit:
You can feel the vibrations in the area they are working on, but I think this also depends if you have strong Bhakti/devotion.

Other mantra's like bija mantra from ancient tantra tradition work therapeutic. Please do this only with an experienced yogateacher, this is important. Because you have to do purification first!

I have done this both and know from own experience that you can have benefits from it!

Edited by - Charliedog on Mar 08 2015 2:10:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  3:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by swordsaint
I wanted to know if there was any discussion/material on this in the AYP writings.

As far as I know, chanting does not appear in the AYP lessons.

There are lots of practices out there that could be beneficial, but integrating everything that tempts you into your practice could be tricky – you could end up duplicating, or having a long, diluted daily routine and little progress.

If you are a beginner, it is better to stick to one method, whether it is AYP or a different one.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  5:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swordsaint,
Using Tantric mantras will certainly make a difference but you need ones from one who can pass on the energy from the guru they came from or the guru himself.Without the energy they will not be as effective.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  04:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your response. Must you know the meaning behind the mantra in order to get benefit or can you just listen to them and reap the benefits anyway?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  05:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What matters is the vibration of the sound and not the meaning of the mantra. See Lesson 115 and Lesson 117

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 09 2015 05:54:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are different kind of mantra's, and many traditions. Some mantra's work also as pranayama and for some is the pronunciation important. There is also a difference between chanting, kirtan and mantra. Vibration, sound, silence, breath, it all counts in my opinion. You do not have to know the meaning, the mantra by itself will bring you to the stillness of deep meditation.

The meaning however is explainable on different layers, like scriptures. The understanding is on the level of your consciousness. There is so much beauty in the words. To understand the words you will have to dive in deeper in Sanskrit, and that is also interesting....but another story.

I agree with Blue Raincoat that,
AYP is a complet method, so it is better to stick to that, or to choose a good teacher to dive deeper in a tradition. That is a very personal choice.

Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sometimes listen to vedic chanting as well as doing some myself. I find it quite uplifting for bhakti as well as very mentally and spiritually healing. If I do chanting myself then I do it after asanas and before my meditation. If you are new to AYP then make sure to self pace if you do chanting as well. It's not necessary to understand the meaning but I find it adds to my enjoyment of the chants.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  3:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful advice from everyone. Yes, please self pace when overloading.

Love chanting. It's been years and I spontaneously chant throughout the day. Different chants just arise in the mind during the day. I have to consciously stop the chanting when overloading. Chanting opens my heart and I'm able to be in the presence of the divine. For me, understanding the meaning helps me merge with the chant.

Sunyata

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2015 :  06:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Swordsaint,

It is ok to chant to your heart's content but not immediately after DM. Immediately after DM you rest, then you do some activities. Give it an hour or two then you can start chanting. Also watch how you feel because like Sunyata mentioned it can lead to over-loading.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000