Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Automatic Yoga? Waking up in asana/mudra combo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  6:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So for about a year now I have been occasionally waking up in yoga poses, most often with my legs in the tree pose Vriksasana like I sometimes see Shiva iconography depicting (though my hands were not over my head, they seemed to be in a kind of mudra).

About 2 weeks after starting SBP and DM I guess I was a little more conscious than normal before moving after this waking, and I noticed my right hand was clearly in a mudra and my left hand was attempting a mudra but was blocked by covers.

I had to actually look up the mudra, and it seems the closest I could find was Pushan Mudra, which is not a mudra I had ever heard of or even tried.

When I looked it up, the benefits all pertain to what I decided the night before that I want to heal (my digestive system):

1. Improves digestion and is beneficial for metabolism.
2. Intensifies the breathing process and helps in the absorption of oxygen and release of carbon dioxide in the lungs.
3. Provides a relaxing effect on the area of the stomach, liver and gallbladder.

This is because, even though I healed the *chronic* acid reflux I had back in June through lucid dreaming, I had also scheduled an endoscopy which I finally had 3 days prior after over half a year of waiting. They found a hiatal hernia which was probably the original cause of my acid reflux. So before going to bed I thought that I wanted to heal that.

My right foot cramped up right in the place where reflexology corresponds to the stomach soon after this and I had to breath through the pain and self massage it.

Then, I woke up in this mudra that might have been for healing the stomach. Wild and pretty cool.

So just curious if this sounds like a kind of automatic yoga, I know it would more traditionally happen in meditation than in sleep, but I definitely feel a lot of energetic things going on while I sleep...

Edited by - technoyogi on Mar 07 2015 6:05:03 PM

Dogboy

USA
2205 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  7:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's automatic all right, a strong indication of your practice bearing fruit. Yes, it's common in meditation, but sleep also, when the ego and mind are disarmed. I have been taught pranayama in a half-sleep before, and awoke grateful for the gift. I like how the mudra matched your intention, it shows that the kundalini is in line with your needs. The standard disclaimer: scenery, of course, but don't let that detour your gratitude before surrendering it, samyama style,
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  12:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply and confirmation, and more than that for pointing out the scenery aspect as well, I had not thought of that since it happened in sleep. I like the alliteration of what you said, gratitude followed by "surrender samyama style"!
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  12:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would also ask Dogboy, about the kundalini being in line with my needs as you mentioned.
I can see how it was in this case, yet I wonder if that reflects anything else? Is that luck, or can we do things to better align with Kundalini. Or is practice alone enough, ie. the mere purification of our nervous systems so that Kundalini can flow allows for the aligning with our needs, etc?

I have been fortunate perhaps in that I have yet to have any real negative symptoms. I have had Kundalini events pop me out of body and I had one or two scary experiences while out of body but that is about it.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2205 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  07:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just the practice should be more than enough to attend to your needs; as Yogani states often, we don't want to tinker too much under the hood. That said, I believe there is room for directed intention. Take solar centering, for instance (see link on left side menu). I use it in DM to prevent energy pooling to much in my head and also send my sutras from there during samyama. It is the temple of willpower and near the heart center; during high energy states I use my intention to radiate outward from there. I,too, have been relatively problem-free regarding overloading, so I believe I am on the right track.

Whenever I feel injury or discomfort in my body, I sometimes direct my attention to it in higher energetic states and imagine the kundalini assisting the problem. Was it the kundalini that helped the problem pass? I can't say for sure (could have been the ibuprophen too!) but no harm in trying it. AYP is an experience based practice with room to personalize with the guidance of your inner guru. The trick is to do it without too much attachment or indulgence as this goes against the process of surrender. Hope that helps.

I have had one brief OOB experience in my life not related to kundalini, so I can't help you there. Perhaps other yogis can chime in on that. Sounds as if good things are happening for you!
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  2:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that helps Dogboy, thanks for the clarification. And I had not yet gotten to read about solar centering so that was interesting to look at. I may not add it yet but will know what to do if energy pools too much in my head :-) Also, I like the idea of directing the Kundalini...
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2015 :  3:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by technoyogi
can we do things to better align with Kundalini. Or is practice alone enough, ie. the mere purification of our nervous systems so that Kundalini can flow allows for the aligning with our needs, etc?

Yes, the practice is enough. It does not need to be changed for every individual, self-pacing notwithstanding. You don't have to worry about aligning practices with kundalini. The effects of the practices will be specific to each of us, according to our own situation, obstruction/impurities that need to be removed. The system will purify itself give a chance - there is a wisdom there beyond what logical thinking can fathom.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  11:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BR, missed your reply till now... wish there was a subscribe feature here!

Definitely agree with you about how the wisdom there is beyond all reckoning and fathoming! :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000