Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama VS Tantric circular breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MBC

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  2:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear spiritual family

I found a great difference between the description/instruction of (1) pranayama spinal breathing and (2) tantric circular breathing as David Deida for instance recommends.
Correct me if I am wrong: In pranayama you feel/imagine the energy flow upwards through your spine to the third eye during inhalation and opposite during exhalation. In tantric circular breathing energy flows on your frontside downwards to you sacral/sexual center during inhalation, and flow upwards through your spine the exhalation.

So here are my two questions:

(a) Is it recommendable to practice both types of breathing exercises when yoga is very new to me (only few weeks/months)? Or should I spent months learning one type before I begin adding another?

(b) I am following the combination of Asanas, Pranayama and Deep Meditation two times daily (as recommended in “Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas: Awakening Ecstatic Kundalini”). Can I here replace one breathing exercise (pranayama) with another (tantric circular) or would that severely disturb the combined benefit?

Thanks a lot / Martin

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  5:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello MBC, welcome to the forum!

I would not mix the two, especially if you are just starting AYP. Yogani has developed this experienced based practice that for more than ten years has proven effective in activating kundalini (for me it took a year, starting after ten years of weekly asana classes). Should you overload after combining practices, it might be difficult to know which one is causing the overload. IMO it is best to stick with one until it becomes stable before attempting another.

For me AYP is a great foundation, simple and surprisingly effective. Learning to dial back and self pace is part of the program that, over time, builds a solid spiritual vessel. I recommend Yogani's AYP as a core practice and build off of it as you flourish.

Good luck and good practice!
Go to Top of Page

amuhai

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  5:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Martin, Welcome.

It is generally advised to stick with one system, whose effects are known, than to mix systems--whose combined effects are not known.
Since you are just beginning, it is safer for you to stick with one system, say the AYP routine, until your practise is stable---and this could take months to years. After you know one system of pranayama and its effects thoroughly, you can then mix and match and experiment with other techniques and find out the effects for yourself.
The main advantage of ayp is that many people on this forum are familiar with it, and can advise from their experience(this is an ayp forum).
Have a great and safe practise.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  05:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum MBC

Good advice from Dogboy and Amuhai. Totally agree.
Go to Top of Page

MBC

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  08:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Dogboy, Amuhai and BlueRainCoat

Wow, I am amazed and very humble for such quick reply.... few hours making a profile here and posting my question, all of you are handing out to help. Thanks so much, I feel so welcomed :-)

Humble and sincerely
/ Martin

Go to Top of Page

insightstate

Romania
10 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  08:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit insightstate's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree...master one system.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000