Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 sahaja yoga's effectiveness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reality11

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  12:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is anyone familiar with sahaja yoga?

If so, I am wondering if anyone can explain how exactly it works, in yogi terms and in comparison to ayp practices.

My interpretation on it is this:

The meditation starts with saying a couple of statements that involve earnestly asking the kundalini energy within me referred to as "Mother" to give me knowledge, to affirm I am my own guru, and to forgive myself and others who wronged me. Finally, I earnestly ask for self realization. Then I meditate on the crown of my head for as long as I want.

So this is basically cultivating my desire to awaken kundalini, and then focusing on opening the crown. Here is a link for those who do not know of sahaja: http://www.sahajayoga.org/experienc.../default.asp .

What do you guys think of sahaja, and it's efficiency? I care not for the dangers, because I think I can handle it. Is sahaja the quickest path to awakening kundalini?

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  07:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So you meditate on the crown as long as you want and you don't worry about the danger because you "think" you can handle it...

No one practicing AYP will endorse this.

You want a quick awakening, you may just get it this way. You may spend the rest of your days in damage control, wondering what you were "thinking" in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  09:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not familiar sith shaja yoga, but in the AYP lessons there are many, many warnings concerning the crown. So if you decide to follow that yoga, IMO you are clearly in a different system with different rules, pros and cons. You must judge which system fits better for you.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  10:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally agree with Dogboy.

quote:
Originally posted by reality11
I care not for the dangers, because I think I can handle it.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Because once done, the chances are you won't be able to undo it. I also believe that if you were ready for it, your Kundalini would not take a moment's delay in awakening. It means you have to some preparation to do.

I don't know about sahaja yoga but I do hope it doesn't just force Kundalini to awaken in people who are nor ready for it.
Go to Top of Page

reality11

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  2:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://i.imgur.com/4qtX30Y.jpg

Here is sahaja meditation in a nutshell. They say that awakening kundalini is the first step to self-realization, that it will guide you and purify you.

The danger doesn't concern me because mental and physical discomfort doesn't bother me enough to stop meditating. I will keep working towards the end goal no matter what. My problem is just a lack of resolve to meditate, but feeling kundalini awaken will actually motivate me to meditate even more.

My main concern is just, like I said, whether the logic and yogi "science" behind sahaja yoga is sound or not. The whole thing seems very faith based, and that feels wrong to me.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you come up with meditating on the crown? It's not in that imgur you posted.
Go to Top of Page

reality11

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  3:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The assistant teacher there told me to meditate there for a while after the rest of the steps are finished. I asked a question if I could meditate there as long as I want, and she said yes.

It's possible she misinterpreted and didn't think "as long as I want" meant for an hour or longer, but just for a couple more minutes? I don't know.

Regardless, what do you guys think of the technique? How does this technique lead to awakening kundalini?

Edited by - reality11 on Jan 23 2015 4:28:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  4:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that all? What I can see when I click on the link is just one sheet of paper with one technique.

I personally think you would achieve a lot more with Buddhist meditation. IMO moving from Buddhist meditation to this one exercise would be to water down your practice.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  5:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
You may wish to read Gopi Krishnas account of his experiences when he meditated on his crown. He suffered for around 12yrs if my memory serves me well.
It does not sound like this teacher you speak of is very experienced if she is encouraging you to meditate on the crown.I have had shaktipat about 8 times so far and we are still not encouraged or directed to meditate on the crown.I can assure you if you get a spontaneous awakening of the worst type then you will certainly not be able to handle it, you will possibly ruin your life.If you read my experiences of my first time of shaktipat you will see how extreme it was for me and my kundalini was awakened in a safe manner.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ms=shaktipat
L&L
Dave

Edited by - riptiz on Jan 24 2015 5:29:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  6:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi reality11,

9 years ago I went with some friends to a Sahaja Yoga meeting. It was free entry and we were taught that practice. You are getting some kind of "shaktipath" from a more advanced practitioner of that system. But what he/she is doing is more like make the prana in your sushumna at least once rise from the buttom to the top. I do not know if they are doing a more specific thing as learned by this enlightened woman to create some kind of link to her.

All in all I felt guidance in the whole process, openings were ocurring, but back then I was in the testing phase, so after some weeks or 1-2 months of practice I tried out other things. There is a huge number of people practicing her yoga without any problems as far as I could see. It is yogically speaking not the most demanding technique. It is very much bhakti based. Means, you practice and trust this woman and your intention and determination creates the cause for her to help you out with all the rest. How good it is, one would need to ask advanced practitioners of her system.

When it comes to the crown, it all depends on the practice and the one teaching it. When the system is built upon crown usage, then surely in a way that it works. There are systems which are not optimized to include the crown in the beginning, but add it later. There are systems directly starting with crown work and there are those which never adress it except by the grace of the master/guru. The crown will dissolve you in bliss. It needs to be adressed correctly, but there is no nead to create fear regarding it :)

Peace friends and happy practice (=
Go to Top of Page

reality11

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  12:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I guess sahaja isn't for me, because I just can't stand that kind of faith based practice.
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  12:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
as long as youre working at the sushuma before the crown i tihnk youre okay. several people i know and myself have always done spinal breathing to the crown and held attention there for long periods afterwards. it might be a tad bit bumpier of a ride but i think the dangers of it are exaggerated. now if you arent working on the sushuma then i think there could be danger. there is a large difference between doing spinal breathing n then focusing on the crown rather than only focusing on the crown.

Edited by - adishivayogi on Jan 25 2015 1:13:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000