Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 The Famous Blue Raincoat (Leonard Cohen)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  11:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Anima, this is in response to your question
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum
Hi BlueRaincoat,
I don't understand this poem. Do you know it's context?

Well, what I can say re the context, is that Leonard Cohen has a strong interest in spirituality (I think he practised Zen Buddhism for some 3 decades).

The letter/the poem reveals the relationship between somebody very spiritual and somebody (the writer of the letter) who's pretty clueless about spirituality, but can't fail to notice the dramatic effects his encounter with the spiritual guy have had on his life. I think both characters are in fact the author (L. Cohen said at some point that the blue raincoat was a garment he owned; I'd say he uses it as a metaphor for his spiritual self)

Now you have to bear in mind that the poem takes a more austere view of spirituality than what we are used to at AYP – seclusion, retreating from the world (the house in the desert).

What I find very entertaining is how the writer of the letter doesn’t understand a thing about the person he's writing to. They seem to be at antipodes (one lives in the desert, the other one in a street where “there's music all through the evening”). And yet the relationship between the two changed the life of 'the ordinary guy' in profound ways.

I won't say any more, better let you read it in your own way.

By the way, if you start to read Leonard Cohen's poetry, don't miss this one (it never fails to give me shivers along the spine) http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/musi.../love-itself

The light came through the window,
Straight from the sun above,
And so inside my little room
There plunged the rays of Love.

In streams of light I clearly saw
The dust you seldom see,
Out of which the Nameless makes
A Name for one like me.

All busy in the sunlight
The flecks did float and dance,
And I was tumbled up with them
In formless circumstance.

Then I came back from where I'd been.
My room, it looked the same -
But there was nothing left between
The Nameless and the Name.

I'll try to say a little more:
Love went on and on
Until it reached an open door -
Then Love itself,
Love Itself was gone.

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear BlueRaincoat,

Thank you for explaining his song and sharing another great one with us all. Not being familiar with Cohen's work, I wasn't sure if the Blue Raincoat song was indeed allegorical. Here are the lyrics under discussion: http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/musi...lue-raincoat

The fact that I treated it directly as a poem shows I'm a bit clueless about musical artists. Other than arithmetic and driving directions, song lyrics are my weakest area of articulation and comprehension. I've maintained a somewhat naive appreciation for art and music. Less so with visual art. So it's really helpful for you to solidify some understanding on Cohen.

Here is a link to the song itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fM...&safe=active

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nice post BRC!
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  07:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice unraveling of meanings, BlueRaincoat! I love the last line in Leonard Cohen's Famous BlueRaincoat: the author's signature - it makes me wonder if the writer sings, or the letter is read by the one who received it.... Or both?

Edited by - Blanche on Feb 05 2015 5:20:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  3:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My impression is that the poet sees the two characters as two sides of himself. I think he's having a bit of a difficulty bringing them together in one personality. Don't we all find that it takes rather a long time and some effort to achieve that unification?

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Feb 05 2015 4:09:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  5:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
many lifetimes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000