Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra enhancement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  09:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone

I have been having a bit of an issue with the I AM mantra - it definitely feels too small, sort of getting lost in inner space. And it gives me a distinct feeling of dissatisfaction - I struggle to bring myself to pick it up. I have briefly tried SHREE I AM NAMAH as per lesson 369, but that enhanced mantra feels just a touch too long. That wouldn't be so much of an issue (I think I can get used to it), what I'm really not liking very much is the SHREE - it vibrates rather sharply in my head and I already have a certain amount of high pitch ringing going on (not uncomfortable, but I feel I shouldn't encourage it either).

What feels really good is just I AM NAMAH. Is it OK to use just this for a while, with a view to adding in the SHREE in 6-12 months time? Or should I stick to the lesson and try to get used to SHREE I AM NAMAH?

Many thanks for your help

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  09:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat:

It is your call. I don't think you will grow horns if you leave out the SHREE for a while.

But it does beg the question about causes and effects in practice. I obviously cannot predict results on variations in practice I have not done. And there are way too many variations out there for me to know the results of them all. That is why Lesson 384 was written.

Also, just a reminder that the subjective experience during deep meditation is not the measure of its effectiveness. The measure is in how you are doing in your regular daily activity. Attempting to manage subjective experiences in deep meditation by altering the procedure or mantra can end up being a detour. A dissatisfaction with the subjective experience with the I AM mantra is not necessarily the right reason for taking on an enhancement. Enhancing the mantra could increase those challenges, rather than reduce them. And then you are fiddling around with the mantra trying to tune what is essentially untunable, because it is a product of your ongoing purification and opening, which can be anything during sittings. It is how we feel during the day that really counts.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  4:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blueraincoat,
Chances are things will smooth out and get irritating on a regular basis as you experience different levels of purification.Thats a normal part of the path and is one of the reasons that one should be aware of cleansing and overload.I have listened to the Divine Sound by my sadguru probably more times than anyone else in the world and it still irritates me at times, even after meditating to it daily and playing it on repeat as I sleep since 2006.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  7:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, OM rounds out and balances SHREE because of the OM's intrinsic base (and bass) quality. OM resounds more horizontally and closer to the base, which gives it a bass timbre (musical metaphor). SHREE goes vertical and lends itself more to the high pitch, as you described. [2nd enhancement: SHREE OM SHREE OM I AM I AM NAMAH]

But, as Yogani said, adding more could complicate it. Then again, with high sensitivity, more syllables can spread out the canopy of sound and thereby stretch out the descent into stillness. Your inner guru will guide you.

Happy trails.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  8:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to long ago there was a post talking about how one should give the I Am mantra some time as one shifts from breath to mantra meditation. It may take a little bit but those who made the change really noticed a difference and where encouraging others.

I would suggest you take the same advise. Let go of the mind stories saying what it is and isn't and just give it some time.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  07:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani. I will experiment and report back in a while. The principle you outline in Lesson 384 is one of the things (many things! ) I love about AYP.

quote:
Originally posted by riptiz
Chances are things will smooth out and get irritating on a regular basis as you experience different levels of purification.

That was my assumption for about a year. I AM was workable at some points but the overall experience with it tells me it needs lengthening. Yogani must be right – as you progress, the mantra needs to lengthen.

@Bodhi Tree
I think 4 syllables are just right at the moment. I did my evening meditation yesterday and again this morning with I AM NAMAH and it seems perfect in every way, including length. I do love the sound of OM, but I will be patient - I don't want more activity at the crown than I already have. Interesting tip about balancing SHREE with OM. Maybe I'll try to add in these two together, although I rather hope to go back onto the trodden path and follow the enhancements as per Lesson 369.

@jonesboy
Great advice to give to a beginner - that is why I started with I AM last year, when I joined AYP although I had some previous meditation experience. With hindsight, I AM has been too short for me all along - it must be that I made some gains in my pre-AYP practice. Last night when I did my first session with I AM NAMAH, I had an Eureka moment. I actually find this mantra very appealing for a change - it holds my attention as I AM never did. And it took me quite deep very quickly. It really looks very promising.

The good thing is - now I know when a mantra is too short. I won't miss the cue when it's time to add the SHREE.

Thank you all for your input and good wishes. I will come back with updates on this.

Love you all
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  07:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi before ayp i used to meditate using aum or om and with my breath and some light music tibetan bowls ect the connection seemed to be more pacifying then but i now use i am mantra, it seems to be alot deeper but fuzzy all the same, i love the om sound as it vibrates on all levels but do not use it now i only use i am during practice progress is good along my path so will not change but i do believe aum or om to be great comforter and maybe when i am ready my mantra will become the universal sound many blessings peace and love .
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for chipping in here Kumar
My feelings exactly! Yes, when we are ready for OM we will know it.
Good to hear your I AM meditation is going well.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  06:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello BlueRaincoat,

How are you? How are things going with your enhanced mantra? I really like your approach and openness to find out what works for you.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello dear Blanche

Nice to see you around the forums.

I love the I AM NAMAH mantra and I hope to get back to it soon. I had to take it very slowly since seeing the chiropractor around Xmas, so I reverted to breath meditation since then. Which has in fact been mostly mindfulness meditation - so much emotional baggage I had to sort through after those sessions.

Speak soon xx
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  8:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My beautiful friend,
Yes, you did mention the chiropractor. I did not realize that it was so serious. Good thoughts for your back! I am reading your posts and enjoying them!
Soon xx
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  07:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, yes, I was chipping away at some old stresses, as you do. And then three chiropractor sessions broke the dam I suppose those tensions had to come out some time. The ecstatic flow is still there so I'm not miserable. Although I have been querulous and prone to overreacting. I hope those who had the occasion to notice it will forgive me

I'm glad you're finding time to be with us on the forums. Hope to see you around often. Lots of love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000