Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing vs. Alternate Nostril
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bkelly117

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  2:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So, in recent times I've started reading a book about Kriya yoga and there is an obvious dichotomy on opening the shushuma between Kriya and AYP. Kriya claims that the shushuma is open by alternate nostril breathing, until ida and pingdala are balanced (via alt. nostril breathing) the shushuma can not open. obviously in AYP we go right to the shushuma. Anyone have any experience/ explanation on these two relatively opposing views? Preferably someone who isn't completely biased towards AYP. Thank you!

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  3:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps this may be helpful ...
http://www.aypsite.org/41.html
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  7:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing about alternate nostril in lesson 41.

I've been doing AYP 15 months, and occasionally take a Kundalini asana class where the yogini always starts off with alternate breathing. Personally, I like it; resting my pointer finger on my third eye, while my thumb and ring finger toggle back and forth, especially with eyes closed, is an intimate mudra, and a lovely balancing of the masculine and feminine, if you believe.

It's not that Yogani doesn't like ANB I am certain, it's just his Guru favors SBP, and that's what Yogani shares with us. There are many ways to get to the same place, and AYP is simple and direct. Do some alternate nostril with your AYP practice (I won't tell!); a few of them before DM shouldn't throw you off the trail. What does your guru tell you?

Edited by - Dogboy on Nov 09 2014 7:51:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  10:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy and All:

Actually, alternate nostril breathing is covered in an addition at the end of Lesson 41 in both the first AYP Easy Lessons book and in the corresponding online lesson.

As the lesson addition indicates, AYP is not anti alternate nostril breathing, only aiming first for the more powerful technique of spinal breathing pranayama. If that is too much, nothing wrong with using alternate nostril breathing. Several other variations in practice are discussed in the lesson addition as well.

I do not agree that alternate nostril breathing is the primary means for balancing the nadis and opening the sushumna. It can certainly help, but if it were the only means, few around here would be experiencing much in the way of balanced whole-body spiritual openings, and that is obviously not the case.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: It is also discussed in Lesson 381.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  10:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, must have been speed reading...
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  01:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bkelly117

Kriya claims that the shushuma is open by alternate nostril breathing

Just to be noted,that is incorrect,and it is not Kriya of Lahiri Baba.Such pranayama is inferior to Kriya pranayama.
Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  07:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To the point Alternate Nostril Breathing is not a part of Kriya that is the authors personal taste & beliefs presented as an authoritative fact that is just not so.

Furthermore in the Kriya traditions it is not acceptable to just interject other practices into Kriya sitting. In other words made up routines are just that, made up.

If someone enjoys alternate nostril breathing however they can practice Kriya which is sequential and precise in its performance and do A.N.B. and other practice at some other time there is no conflict this way.

It would be better for people to practice AYP than try to learn Kriya from a book.
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  9:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i enjoy alt nose before kriya pranayama for sure. i believe the technique is under estimated . its not a kriya breath though. it can not compare
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  2:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, some kriya teachers teach alternate nostril breathing as an addition to kriya pranayama (AYP spinal breathing pranayama is a form of kriya pranayama), but it's not the pranayama of kriya.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000