Yoga and Relationships
 Householder Yoga Masters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  05:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been reading quite a lot of biographies /books by Yoga or Tantric Masters /Buddhists etc..and one thing I've noticed is that they all had spiritually advanced parents and already highly evolved wives and saintly kids. Does anyone know of literature involving an ordinary Householder Yoga Master with troublesome in-laws, a nagging wife, drunks for parents... Ok, I am exaggerating but what I am simply saying: Can someone become a Supreme Divine Being starting from scratch with an ordinary set of parents/wife/kids who will not necessarily understand what you are trying to achieve and certainly will not play along with your need for hours of meditation?
Or is the mere fact that you are now close to Liberation you are already favoured with a convenient set of circumstances worked out from your previous Karma? So no way can you give birth to a kid who will tests your parenting skills severely?
Not sure if I am making sense here...

In any case I sure would love to read about an ordinary person faced with ordinary problems but who is close to or already liberated. I am sure it would be most inspirational.

Sey

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
In any case I sure would love to read about an ordinary person faced with ordinary problems but who is close to or already liberated. I am sure it would be most inspirational.

If you are looking for examples of working persons life buy a copy of Purana Purusha it will give you an idea of a persons life , it is a book about Lahiri Mahasaya.

The books starts with his birth and follows his life, after he meets Babaji there is still a transition period before he becomes as described in Autobiography of a Yogi and it appears he continues after meeting Babaji and realizes his past lives to develop in the current one while remaining a husband a father and teacher albeit against his will at first as he would prefer to chuck it all and stay with his Guru. Ah but such was the mission given to him.......

http://www.amazon.com/Purana-Purush...rana+purusha

The price is high but well worth the read.Over 430 pages with appendix.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  02:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you EK. I will try that one but going from what is reported in the Autobiography of a Yogi, he was far from "ordinary".

I actually have read a good book about an ordinary guy, it's "The Secrets of Wilder" !

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  03:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Topic..

Am off to get my copy of Purana Purush.. Not that expensive in Kolkata as it is published here only.

I know of a good book ( actually an autobiagraphical diary) of an aspirant from a very young age who is living with the guru ( Shree Bijay Krishna Goswami ) in his ashram after getting brahmcharya deeksha and naam diksha.

I refer to it at times and i find my struggles at sadhana very puny compared to his monumental ( to myself ) task of keeping brahmcharya, cooking his own food, eating only once every day and at the same time, keeping his gaze fixed at his toe constantly, trying not to get attracted to females who come to the ashram etc etc.. Its very Heart rendering... what all people have Gone through for THAT....

Shree Shree Sadguru Sangh (In the company of Sadguru) - Part 1 & 2.

http://www.gosaiji.com/books/englis...uruSangh.htm

Also priced very high on amazon, i got it very cheap in Kol as its locally printed..

Felt like sharing

Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  09:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning,

Yes, yes quite so far from ordinary, but there is allot more to it than the short section of ABOY. If one only goes by that then they know a little.

All lives when lived within the framework of the householder IE: Being a parent, working full time, maintaining a home and a relationship in his case with a wife and being a part of society in general have parallels.

Did he handle them better than Most? Read the book.

Did he have difficulties keeping a civil tongue? Read the book.

Now imagine this here we are far from his stature but there he was also in forgetfulness before Babaji returned his memory.

So how was his life before knowing who he was? Might his wife not have wondered who this crazy person with tall stories and changed behavior is that has taken the place of my husband?

Read the book.

So how was his life after?

Read the book.

You seem to think by what you have written that because a person is less advanced than a Mahatma that it must be easier for the Mahatma then it is for us?

I tell you this, It may be even more difficult.

When was the last time you as an advanced understanding adult had to spend an entire day let alone your entire life stuck in a room full of immature 3 year olds?

Should not the mature adult be able to remain unperturbed under all conditions in this room?

Lol

So my point is this,it may not actually get easier. Ever wonder why advanced yogi's leave society? I maintain a time comes where regular people will make you crazy if you don't.

But if you can follow the example set forth by Lahiri Mahasaya then perhaps the hills can be avoided.

Lahiri Baba lived a life as an example for the rest of us, not to show I am so great look at me levitate and perform miracles if you get as great as me you can handle the householder life hands down as skillfully as I.

Read the book.

Oh by the way did I mention you should really read the book? Just in case you missed it.

Off the topic of books I have learned that if I can remember to respect and remember that God is within everyone even as God is within myself then it is easier to associate with others, if I think would I bring displeasure to God with my speech then my speech will be pleasant or it will be silent. Then I will have love for others even as I have love for myself.

If I think would I bring displeasure to God with my actions then my actions will be correct.

Would I purposely displease SeySorciere? sure I might if provoked, would I displease God who is within Seysorciere?
even if Seysorciere cut me off on the road and gave me the finger?

No oh my never, never a thousand times never! instead I would likely laugh because Seysorciere is being so funny acting like bad little child who has forgotten who they really are.

We are the living power of God.

Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Thank you EK. I will try that one but going from what is reported in the Autobiography of a Yogi, he was far from "ordinary".

I actually have read a good book about an ordinary guy, it's "The Secrets of Wilder" !

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  2:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Would I purposely displease SeySorciere? sure I might if provoked, would I displease God who is within Seysorciere?
even if Seysorciere cut me off on the road and gave me the finger?

No oh my never, never a thousand times never! instead I would likely laugh because Seysorciere is being so funny acting like bad little child who has forgotten who they really are.

Very funny!
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  7:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I will try that one but going from what is reported in the Autobiography of a Yogi, he was far from "ordinary".

Yogiraj was definitely not ordinary yogi,but He was a householder,father of 5 children,government employee and private tutor.He would go out to get groceries,smoke hooka in afternoons and chew betel leaf after meals..So,details like that are making Him more "ordinary" and human alike then some other characters you might think of.
Also,Puran Purush is very unique view into parts of His diaries and His life which makes it a great read i would say.
Writer,Yogacharya Ashoke Chatteerji is another example of householder yogi.He wrote that book after being asked to do so by his Guru,Sri Satya Charan Lahiri Mahasaya,in order to make satisfying biography of Lahiri Baba.

Edited by - Sol Invictus on Aug 04 2014 8:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  12:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear EK.... I am convinced. I will read the book!

I love what you say here

"Off the topic of books I have learned that if I can remember to respect and remember that God is within everyone even as God is within myself then it is easier to associate with others, if I think would I bring displeasure to God with my speech then my speech will be pleasant or it will be silent. Then I will have love for others even as I have love for my self."

Thank you Sol, Purohit and Dogboy

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Aug 06 2014 12:59:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  10:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI sol just a word about the hooka and the betel leafs, this surprised me when I read it and in a flash I remembered another famous contemporary of his who was given lye to eat in place of milk suffered no ill effect, and another story of a advanced person eating hot coals with no ill effect and thought hmmmm better not to think an average person can get away with that behavior. So no Hooka or betel leaf in the near future for this person.
Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you SeySorciere it is a good book. The part that you love reading I have learned from Baba Hariharananda.

Since Baba is not in body it has been my good fortune to talk to those who knew him in person and are still teaching his ways and they have been so kind and loving to share with me his teaching.

It is very special you know he took a unique place in history a Living realized Kriya Master a Master of Samadhi documented and recorded for all time.

I have wished oh so many times that Lahiri Baba was so recorded but sadly the era did not make access to recording technology as it did during the times of Hariharananda.

So the part that you love is a very important part and not so easy to live at all times but it seems it is in the practice that the actualization of his wisdom is understood.

Do you know it is so amazing to me how swiftly this wisdom of his can transform hatered to love? Oh Lord please take this hatred back and give me loving heart instead. Is close something he would say and the underlying meaning is so special you actually feel that everything is God's and God alone is the Soul doer and everything both ugly and pretty are his.

When this gets felt then Ek takes proper position of witness and is not confused with being the doer. This takes some getting used to and living this way but the peace and satisfaction of the truthfulness are immidiate. I can not imagine coming to this without his teachings which of course include technique, fortunately his teaching continues out in the world for everyone wiling to learn.

So me... not wise like the guru, just passing on what I try to live, I fail so often it is not funny but another famous most favorite to me saying of Paramahamsa Hariharananda mistake is not for mistake, mistake is for correcting!
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2014 :  10:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
know one thing. you have the same anatomny of every super yogi who has walked the earth. thru the power of kriya you can become that, you are that already. samadhi brings about a remembrance of this is me n i have always been this
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000