Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Relationship between food and pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marek11

Czech Republic
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  08:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have a simple question - how should I continue? I am going to explain it.
I do pranayama every day and I started with mulabandha one or two weeks ago. Sometimes I feel very good during the day and sometimes I have very big problems with fear, very negative thoughts and feeling that my head explodes during the day. But predominantly in the day, when I eat light food - for example all day raw food. Is there a connection between food and how I feel? After a few months when I started with yoga I also started to eat heavier food spontaneously. Because before I ate only raw food, sometimes had some fast. Today I cannot do it. It is much heavier and it is a little bit shock for me. I started to eat pretty much cheese and I thickened a little. I have never had some problems with weight and it is strange for me. And when I try to eat all day for example only fruit - it is a horror. For example yesterday I ate only fruit and it was horrible, I felt so much fear.

So how should I continue? Should I just wait and hope that it will be better or stop with the mulabandha? I feel good during the meditation and pranayma and it seems quite easy. Any advice? Or give me some example of food which is heavy and not so much unhealthy.
Thanks

Marek

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  02:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Marek
by pranayama you mean Spinal Breathing? For how long you do it?
what other practices you do? Do you rest after the session?

you should cut back your practice and go back to the amount of practice that kept you at ease. it seems that your panic started after adding mulabandha, so i suggest you stop it
Eating very light like you ar doing definitely increases the annoying symptoms.Eating meat is the best option to calm down the energy, some grilled chiken or fish.I dont like to eat meat, but when i have serious overloads i do.
Remember one does not have to be a vegan or a vegetarian to be a yogi , it is just another label even yogi is a label

Edited by - maheswari on Jul 09 2014 02:57:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marek11

Czech Republic
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  03:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I mean spinal breathing, I practise the meditation after spinal breathing and asanas before it and I have the rest after it, I also tried urinotherapy, because I had problems with allergies (now there is no problem). I do it maybe 10 months, maybe more, I am not sure. Sometimes I visit a gym or I go running and I think, that it helps too.
I was eating very light food before I started yoga at all, therefore it is a little unusual for me. And now it is easier to drink alcohol for me I have never drunk so much and a few last years I almost didn´t drink, but in the last days doesn´t make me a problem to drink a bottle of wine.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  1:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Marek
Welcome to the forum
I agree with Maheswari - you should back off mulabandha till you get stable. Perhaps even trim down some of the other practices (meditation & pranayama) if the negative thoughts and head exploding sensations persist. You are not saying if you already had these before starting your yoga - or have they appeared after you introduced any of the yoga practices you are now doing?
With regards to your diet, I think the guiding principle should be "balanced".
I have read about the raw-food-only diet and I did experiment with it too. I am now convinced it does not work for humans. If we were able to live on raw food only, we'd have bellies like chimpanzees. That is longer intestines - a lot longer than humans have! Because raw food needs to be processed harder in the guts to extract the nutrients from it. I remember seeing a programme on TV about this. None of the people in the experiment featured in the programme did well on raw-only. It's all those millions of years of evolution on a cooked diet. Archeologist have apparently discovered evidence that Homo Erectus was cooking his food. Which means that we, Homo Sapiens were practically born on a cooked/partly cooked diet. That's how our brains got bigger and our waists more slender
So it is a good idea to eat at least one cooked meal a day, some raw fruit and veg of course and moderate amounts of dairy (yoghurt, cheese etc). Some white meat too (chicken and fish) if you like it and feel good on it. Also a whole bottle of wine a day seems like a lot!
Regarding fasting, I think it is useful, but only as short intervals in a balanced, varied diet.
Take good care of yourself. Let us know how you get on.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 09 2014 5:28:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  5:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chimpanzees in nature eat primarily wild fruit, which is much higher in fiber and much lower in sugar and water than the domestic fruit humans eat. Chimps also eat leaves that are more fibrous than the tender green leaves that we enjoy... So they need longer intestines. We can absorb plenty of calories and nutrients and thrive on common domestic fruits and vegetables. The most sustainable way long term is high in fruit and greens, and low in fat... The 80/10/10 Diet by Doug Graham is the best guide for that imo.

On evolution and cooked food supporting evolution- IMO, it has more to do with adaption in environments outside of the rainforests. Cooking condenses food, making it possible to spend less time eating and more time doing other activities, and cooking makes otherwise inedible food edible (such as with grains and tubers). It can also help with making the unpalatable (such as grains, tubers, and meat) more palatable. But cooking doesn't add nutrition (what it does add is known toxins)... The benefits of cooking espoused by proponents of cooked evolution theory usually point to the availability of calories and time spent foraging and eating in cooked vs. raw diets. For example, how long does it take to find and consume 1000 calories of fruit in the wild? Probably a long time... how long does it take to find and eat 10 bananas? It usually takes me about 15 minutes.

Many people don't stay with a raw diet long enough to realize it's benefits. But there are many who have been thriving on a fully raw diet for years and decades. I did for a few years and it was amazing. Now, after going off of it for a few years, I appreciate raw more... my body had built up a health reserve in the raw years which carried me for a couple years on cooked. In the last year though, health and vitality has been declining.

Edited by - chas on Jul 10 2014 08:42:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  7:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Marek, the best I've found in these types of overloading situations is to cut back on practices for as long as it takes. Also, eating large green salads with celery, hemp seeds or avocado has helped a lot. All the best.
Go to Top of Page

nickyryu

France
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2014 :  10:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
-Ayurveda doesn't recommend RAW food.
Ayurveda emphasize on a cooked, hot diet to nurture a strong AGNI,(the digestive fire).

-FEAR in spirituality is a known RED FLAG, it happens when the crown chakra is prematurely stimulated.
Your "light diet" with fruits and fasts are very sattvic which stimulates your higher chakras too much.

-You need to rewire the flow of energy into AJNA using Spinal Breathing Pranayama for instance.

Edited by - nickyryu on Jul 10 2014 10:12:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2014 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's obvious that you need to stop drinking alcohol.
I find the macrobiotic diet very balanced
Go to Top of Page

Marek11

Czech Republic
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2014 :  08:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your advices, I will take the best from it. :-)
I personally think, that every human body is different and in another situation, that the question of food is sometimes very difficult to answer and it is very personal, I am going to do just things which I feel that they are helpful. My experience confirms the comment with avocados, I like them. :-D I have eaten just raw food for maybe two years, but any other food is heavier and I think that better for overcoming difficult situations like fear attacks. When I will feel, that light food doesn´t "hurt" me with the way, that I do not feel mentally good I will experiment again as in my whole life. Not only raw food and cut back on yoga practices helped and confirmed what I thought, thanks. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Eli

Slovakia
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  11:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marek,

I am so glad that you mentioned this on this forum.... As something similar happens currently to me too... Though I started meditation and pranayama only 1,5 months ago, my eating habits are worsening. Before I was able to keep a really heathy diet, without sugars, cereals, meat, diaries... Now I crave to eat all except from meat... Not able to do fasting as I did before... I am not very happy with it but somehow I hope this is temporary and the unhealthy diet kind of grounds me:-)

On the other hand I was able to cut off any television watching... It took me two years to make this intention a reality:-)

Regarding my emotions, sometimes they emerge from within like a storm as it was last week. I became very upset at the meeting in work (I had a reason:-)) and in few days very much in love.. Both these rushes disappeared in few days... Now I really rest after the meditation for 10 minutes to prevent such excesses:-)
Funny is that my practice is really simple : yoga asanas, 10 min spinal breathing, 20 min meditation and 10 min rest.. Two times a day and then also 5 tibetans:-)

Eli
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  3:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found the best diet to be a high-starch plant-based food, cooked.
80%starch(carbs), 10%fat, 10%protein.

Never felt better in my life. Of course, the protein does NOT come from animal sources, but that goes without saying, right?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  3:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Eli

I find our diets need to change as we progress with yoga.
My diet suddenly became a lot heavier as kundalini started to make itself felt. A few years ago I had to reintroduce some meat and I started to eat a lot more dairy. Now I've gone off meat again, but I still need (and enjoy) dairy.

I would agree that sugar and refined carbs need to be kept at a minimum, but what makes you think dairy is not healthy? Or cereals for that matter?

Interestingly, there is a paragraph in Yoga Tattva Upanishad that recommends these two food groups to beginners:
"During the early stages of practice, food of milk and ghee is ordained; also food consisting of wheat, green pulse and red rice are said to favor the progress" 46(b)-49.

@alecpeace
I went trough a phase (quite a long one) when carbs were the bulk of all my meals. That changed dramatically when the energy started to become more intense. I started to need a lot more fat and protein.
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  12:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

@alecpeace
I went trough a phase (quite a long one) when carbs were the bulk of all my meals. That changed dramatically when the energy started to become more intense. I started to need a lot more fat and protein.

I understand what you're saying. I just can't keep a clear conscience if I eat meat. And there is extensive evidence showing dairy is very bad for you. But, I do love potatoes, corn and rice. I could probably eat only potatoes for the rest of my life if I had to and not complain one bit.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  1:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@alecpeace
Could you please point me to that evidence that dairy is bad for you?
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  5:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

@alecpeace
Could you please point me to that evidence that dairy is bad for you?

Sure, look into the works of Dr. McDougal, I think he presents the evidence the best.

There's lots of presentation he does on YouTube for laypeople and medical community. He's also got a few books out. There's others, but I like McDougal's simple style.

Edited by - alecpeace on Nov 19 2015 5:25:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  12:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi alecpeace

You mean this this Dr. McDougall - www.drmcdougall.com?

I have had a look at this website. I could not see any hint at a single scientific study about diary and health. Also searched Pubmed for JA McDougall and no luck there either. I see the the guy is advocate for a vegan low fat diet, but that is his personal opinion. There are plenty of medics and scientists who believe low-fat is the wrong way to go. There is an optimum there (as in most things).

So no evidence found, just opinions. Do you actually know of any scientific studies (as in randomized controlled) that proves a correlation between diary and any health conditions?
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  2:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi alecpeace

You mean this this Dr. McDougall - www.drmcdougall.com?

I have had a look at this website. I could not see any hint at a single scientific study about diary and health. Also searched Pubmed for JA McDougall and no luck there either. I see the the guy is advocate for a vegan low fat diet, but that is his personal opinion. There are plenty of medics and scientists who believe low-fat is the wrong way to go. There is an optimum there (as in most things).

So no evidence found, just opinions. Do you actually know of any scientific studies (as in randomized controlled) that proves a correlation between diary and any health conditions?

That's the McDougal. I wouldn't expect their website to have any scientific "evidence" because it's catered to people who have already stopped consuming dairy and are familiar with McDougal in some way. But I've read a few of his books and seen some of his presentations on YouTube. There's other vegan advocates as well, McDougal is just one man.

Don't forget the dairy industry has been pumping billions into marketing (er, brainwashing) and funding universities for a hundred years, same as the meat industry, and now it's mainstream that red meat and processed meats cause cancer, if you've been watching the news that is. It's hard for a bunch of broke vegans to go up against billions of dollars of marketing, but that's what capitalism is all about right? sell, sell, sell.

As for specific research, I don't have a file folder in my closet labeled "arguments to give to pro-dairy people" sorry, never really cared much for converting anyone to veganism. People need to make their own choices. I would recommend studying both sides of the argument and making your own conclusions, then vote with your wallet. You could spend a few days on YouTube watching lectures as a start from actual scientists, unlike myself. I never saved any evidence since I never thought I'd need to make a case to anyone, but from what I remember is that milk destroys your bones by washing away the calcium, the opposite of what the milk industry claims, with low-fat milk being the worst. To get into the specific studies and such, you'd have to peruse the internet quite deeply. It's buried in there, under the heap of pro-milk stuff.

Earlier, I was just stating that I don't consume any animal products at all, and I feel better than ever, as a response to others who posted that you should eat some meat. If you love your milk, by all means, go ahead and drink up, especially if it makes you feel good.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  6:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the clarification alecpeace.
quote:
Originally posted by alecpeace
People need to make their own choices.
I subscribe to that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000