AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 frist yoga class
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just had my first yoga class last night.

I was injured a few years back, but that didn't stop me from doing the activities. It was surprising to see my body bend into different shapes like that.

The energy level was off the charts.

I got that fairly common involuntary movement, where the chest want to sort of roll at the shoulders.

Does anyone have any recommendations any particular moves?

My main goal is to strengthen my back, which has suffered tremendous atrophy, and regain my long lost flexibility.

Thanks

Zack

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  12:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

My main goal is to strengthen my back, which has suffered tremendous atrophy, and regain my long lost flexibility.

Hi Zack,
You've brought up something that was on my mind... strenghtening the spine (and therefore, the back). Strengthening the spine is supposed to be the backbone of yoga... approached via the asanas, as much as the postures one sits in (vajrasana, siddhasana). I've been a little puzzled about the absence of this emphasis here. Is it also under the hood? Spine automatically strengthens with the spinal pranayam and i am meditation? I wait with you for the answer to this.

Otherwise, do you do asanas, especially those for the back: vajrasana, tadasana, kati asana, sarpa and bhujang, and yana asanas are among the simplest. But one starts gradually with the first, and builds up on time of holding and additional asanas after gauging comfort of progress. If you have an asana instructor accessible so much the better.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  05:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Well I'm not sure about the strengthening of the spine being the backbone of yoga.Guruji was a high level Tantric yogi before receiving shaktipat and joining the lineage of Kundalini Maha Yoga. His guru (which was my guru's first guru when alive)was Dhyanyogi Madhusudandasji and he was accomplished in many forms of yoga including Hatha before gaining enlightenment. In fact there are pictures of Dhyanyogi in full headstand posture at 100 yrs old. Neither have taught asanas within the teachings of Kundalini Maha Yoga and neither does my guru.They are not part of the siddha path so I am not sure what to make of your comment.I have never practised other forms of yoga although I have many years experience in martial arts and Tai Chi so I find it difficult to comment , only to point out the anomalies.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  10:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave,
I see it does sound like I'm saying asanas are necessary to strengthen the spine... actually, I believe it is a basic way, and one of the ways. What I do want to know is whether an erect and strong spine has a major role in the rising of the kundalini energy.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sadhak:

It is the purity of the spinal nerve and nervous system in general that makes the difference in spiritual progress. As spiritual practice, asanas are for aiding in that, as are spinal breathing, deep meditation, mudras, bandhas, and all the rest of yoga.

I believe there has been too much emphasis placed on strong and erect posture, often at the expense of inner development. It is physical development overriding spiritual development, which is so common in yoga everywhere in modern times, and perhaps in all times. The point is driven home by viable paths that do not focus on asanas at all, and by lazy people like us who meditate leaning against a pile of pillows, and still making good progress.

Yoga isn't just for macho-types. It is for everyone, no matter what the physical circumstances may be. In yoga, at least around here, it is "less pain, more gain."

Of course, there is nothing like a gentle set of asanas to loosen us up inwardly before sitting practices. And being upright is generally better than being reclined while doing sitting practices, so we favor that, as comfortable. For the rest, do what works, and forget about the image of the hardened yogi/yogini sitting like a pillar of strength on a rock ... it will not help.

Also, daily physical exercise taken anytime except right before yoga practices is very good for health and spirit. Activity is good between our sitting practices. It stabilizes inner silence gained in sitting practices, and in this way we become "That" in all we do...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  2:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sadhak,
I agree with Yogani on this.Most people when you talk of yoga in the west only know of hatha and associate the word yoga with tying yourself in knots. Earlier this year I had 3 ladies turn up at my class with mats and towels expecting a good workout in yoga. I had to tell them they were in the wrong place.LOL.I am sure in hayha also people regard the more advanced postures to be the ultimate just as in martial arts some believe jumping kicks etc mean one is advanced in the art.I trained in Aikido with a guy around 68 yrs old, triple heart bypass and bowel cancer and his ki was incredible.He certainly didn't need acrobatics to be effective.I actually do no other practice now than KMY and I am healthier and less aches than 5 yrs ago.I did find that my previous practices were a good platform to advance my path so it's all good and nothing is wasted, just that one can get hung up on certain practices I guess.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  07:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

In yoga, at least around here, it is "less pain, more gain."

Hi Yogani,
It will take time for me to feel comfortable in yoga and not guilty about it. Because before coming here I was working on "more pain to the body". (Not that I was very good at it ). But I moved out of the rock-like erect posture on the hard floor for the first time last night and sat on the bed (oops)... felt pretty weird... primarily because the heel position in the siddhasana didn't feel right and there was little pressure. Maybe I'll experience what you are saying in some time.

When I did work on my body for a period of time, plus do all the other rigorous practises I did feel very tall, erect and different. But I just could not sustain that kind of punishment and ended up feeling unable to cope. Plus I remember that I came to AYP with a severe backache sustained during the course of rigorous asanas (because of what I don't know).

Yes Dave, most people even in India associate Yoga with only the hatha variety... they think only 'asanas'... though this is changing gradually.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000