Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Snake behavior
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  09:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone else experienced snake like behavior while practicing Kundalini?

I practiced Kundalini Yoga with a different teacher before coming to this site consistently. On several occasions my husband woke me up from my sleep and told me that I was rattling like a snake in bed and was scaring the hell out of him. After assuring him that I would not bite his neck we went back to sleep but it happenwd a few more times.

It hasn't happened in quite a while which is fine with me. I don't really like the thought of sounding or acting like a snake and didn't ever do this while awake. I also know that the kundalini is not a real snake in the body but only an analogy so it would never occur to me to do this on purpose, but I woke up one time and heard myself and even felt a strong wave like motion in my body as it was rattling.

I know people in this forum will say not to focus on this but I remember hearing something about snake people in India or Brazil and have curiosity about this. Has anyone had a similar experience?

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maatsuah

I know people in this forum will say not to focus on this but I remember hearing something about snake people in India or Brazil and have curiosity about this. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Hi Maatsuah,
I'm afraid the snake and India image is blown way out of proportion. We have a few roadside snake charmers, on their way out thankfully, with the laws on cruelty to animals. Some Shaivaite recluses also drape snakes around... but I don't see it pertaining to your situation.

But to come to your other question, I have often seen the snake (cobra, and felt the movement too on occasion), but during meditation, not out of it. Yours may be an overflow, maybe like an emotion flowing into activity from the session. Yes, you're right, if you don't focus on it, it will probably go away. I just walked away with an insight on spinal breathing from Yogani... So I'd ask, are you doing enough of it, in ratio to your meditation time? Maybe you need to only take stock of your practice time (assuming that you are doing the spinal breathing, and I AM -meditation). And the rest period after it... is it enough?

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Maatsuah - I've had some pretty interesting experiences with the snake metaphor as well. The most noticeable was a serpentine movement in my body which was very slow and sensuous - it began in my legs and moved up into my torso, arms, and head and when it happened I really REALLY wanted to move with it, and did, with abandon, first with the curtains drawn, and later without embarrassment or restraint. Made me feel like an Indian goddess. I also dream about snakes frequently, see flashes of them at ajna chakra, and seem to run into quite a few of them on my walks. Never rattled like one, tho -

I love it. It hasn't given me any reason to fear it, and indeed has served to pull me more out of my head and into my body. I'd say go with it; don't resist it. Hopefully you won't drive your husband crazy.
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  11:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your response. I have been practicing with AYP for almost a month now and have not had anymore experiences like that. I do 10 minutes of spinal breathing and 20 minutes of meditation and then rest. I have had a lot of little experiences since practicing with AYP but have not had a reoccurence of this snake experience. I guess this is not considered a part of the kundalini syndrome.
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  11:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am so happy to hear your response Meg. I don't feel so crazy anymore. I have often dreamed of walking and seeing snakes in my dreams also. I have also seen snakes flash at my Agnia chakra as well. I mostly see the snakes standing straight up when I see them at my third eye.

I was really hoping someone has had this experience. I sincerely respect Yogani's instructions about not dwelling on these expereinces, but I cannot help but be curious about a few kundalini experiences that stand out from the others. The snake experiences just seem so vivid and stand out in my mind along with the star tunnel experience.

Thanks for sympathising with my husband but he is driving me crazy on the contrary. He has never let me forget my snake behavior and has teased my relently about it.

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  12:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maatsuah

I guess this is not considered a part of the kundalini syndrome.

I disagree - it's totally part of your kundalini experience. It's Shakti herself. While it's true that we shouldn't dwell on our experiences, there's nothing wrong with enjoying them, if that's the case, or using them as tools for personal growth. For me, dancing with the energy brought it solidly into my body, and it eventually came out in my creative work. It's transformative energy, and working with it will completely transform you and your outlook. I think when we're cautioned not to dwell on the scenery, it means specifically:

1) Don't dwell on it during meditation - just focus on the mantra.

2) Don't make them the focus of your spiritual path. They're archetypal metaphors of the profound inner process that's taking place, and not to be confused with the goal itself. It's like getting excited about an M&M versus owning a chocolate factory.
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  1:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are very good points Meg. The Kundalini process is still a little confusing to me, but with practice and communicating with like minds, I will be able to stay focused and gain a better understanding of this process.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maatsuah,

In India, some people especially women do behave as if snake has gotten into their bodies. They shake and move as if some goddess has gotten into them and is guiding them. Most of these are fake but obviously there's a genuine experience that these guys started imitating.

As meg has pointed out very well, there's nothing wrong with being curious or happy about experiences as long as they dont become the sole goal of our practice. Infact lot of ppl here would like to listen to your experiences. It is fun sharing these details of the journey. isnt it?

-Near
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  2:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please write about your snake experiences, and may you have many more! I love hearing about them.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  01:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maatsuah,
Meg is right. What you experienced was not during the meditation... you should explore it fully if it reccurs. I was just going through the AYP book on deep meditation, and it mentions that experiences, when they occur outside of meditation, can be enjoyed to thier hilt. I thought of you at once. Perhaps you may like to read the book... it may clear things on where you are going. It did for me, and I need to read it a few times more!

Edited by - sadhak on Jul 14 2006 03:46:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  08:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's really good to know Sadhak. There are many times when my meditation is uneventful and then a few hours later all sorts of things outside of the realm of the 5 physical things happen. Sometimes when I'm finished meditating and lay back to rest I get a lot of interesting phenomenon as well not to mention that constant vibration I feel throughout my body all day long.

I just received Yogani's book on Advanced Yoga Practices and although it is larger than I thought it is very clearly written so I'll start reading it tonight.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  09:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, Maatsuah that book is a whopper...I was talking of a thin one, called 'Deep Meditation'. That puts everything about the ins and outs of the meditation aspect together in one place in great detail.

As long as you're OK with the outside experiences it's fine. I'd gone through a lot of burning and dry mouth and dizzyness, before I finally thought to use some intelligence, and did major cutting back before I was OK. But yes, I also got things like strong and correct intuition of things just minutes before they happened... nothing major... then it wore off in a few days. So it's OK.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000