Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 The Fountain of Youth The 5 Tibetan Rites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  7:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In 1985 a book called The Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth written by Peter Kelder was published which for the first time fully described an exercise program for "youthing". This is an exercise program used by Tibetan monks to live long, vibrant and healthy lives. In fact, this book states that many have lived longer than most can imagine by following the program often called the "Five Tibetan Rites".

The Five Rites speed up the spinning of the chakras, coordinate their spin so they are in complete harmony, distribute pure prana energy to the endocrine system, and in turn to all organs and processes in the body. This is one of the major requirements for vibrant health, rejuvenation and youthfulness.

A more involved description here: http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

YouTube video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJElLrpBetc

Now to be honest I am no expert on chakras or asanas. I couldn't find this posted anywhere and I thought this would be great for those older wanting a routine. To be honest I like it and I have started doing it myself.

Would love to hear from those familiar with it.

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  8:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They teach it in one of the ipsalu tantra books, Maya Fiennes has a quick version of it, and there's also a program called T5T. Each has its own minor details and variations, so you'd have to decide what works best for you. A 6th hidden rite is available too, and someone mentioned this one is more or less already part of the ayp asanas routine.

There are more topics on it if you search for "Five Tibetans"
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=4580#4580
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1671#1671

I don't do them since a regular AYP routine is lengthy and involving enough, and these do raise your heart rate if you worked up to the full set, which might fit better at the end of the routine.

Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  8:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love it!! Can't comment on reverse aging yet

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2013 :  10:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I swear I searched for that sucker a few times. Reminds me of work Will read up thank you.
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  12:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I work these, I substitute boat pose for the abdominal/leg lift portion - works better for me.

Be very careful to not extend your neck backwards too far (or at all) while doing these - this can cause cervical spine problems.

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  08:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice. My normal yoga routine that i do at work leaves me hurting all the time even though it does help my back. I am hoping this routine with maybe a twist at the end will help the old back.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - May 18 2014 :  12:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I first learned of the 5 Tibetans from my 87 year old guru/mentor and threw them into class a few times, just for general interest of my students. Oddly, one gentleman commented some six months later that he began doing the 5 Tibetans religiously, found it a huge challenge at first, started with just a few and slowly built up the reps. Said the hype is real, he is in his 60's and I am really impressed with how far he has come physically in two years. The thing with Tibetans, as with anything, is to stick with it and not be drawn into other things as I frequently am And yes, definitely use the cautions mentioned above. I would integrate them after being comfortable with The Asana Starter Kit if you are looking for 'more'.

Edited by - Prem on May 18 2014 12:34:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000