Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Headache Advice Needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  03:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Would request for some advice on how to deal with Headaches ?
They are not too frequent with me but it Would be helpful if someone can guide me to some previous posts on best ways to manage(without medicines)?

Had an intense one after undergoing dhauti a couple of days back, so wanna be prepared for the next one when it comes.

My basic practise is not AYP but i dont think it is much different as it has pranayam, meditation and chantings and is complemented with add ons from AYP.

Thanks

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  09:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Purohit

When I get a headache I find that some type of menthol product works well. It comes in a balm, or stick that you rub on your forehead. Just make sure it's designed to be rubbed on your forehead -- some other muscle-rubs might be too strong and burn your skin.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  09:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any form of exercise, especially cardio, might be worth trying if you haven't yet. To me it has a protective effect for whatever reason, maybe related to the endorphins and changes in the body. Also, I'd look at possible causes to try to prevent them in the first place if that's possible, like with simple things such as staying hydrated, relaxing head and neck throughout the day, etc. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a headache today and remembered a video I watched a long time ago about a headache relief method that I hadn't tried yet. It involves placing pressure at and massaging multiple points on the head. Here is that video guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xffTriD65Wg

It worked wonderfully for myself! It cleared me up completely and gave me time to do a few asanas that I wouldn't have been able to do without the relief. I did the asanas in hopes of further alleviating what the root condition of the headache may be. If you google 'asanas for headache relief' you might find some useful to experiment with. I can't attest to them as I only tried childs pose because I like mild inversions. My headache returned in 5-10 minutes but it was at about 15% of what it was before.

Edited by - Arman on Sep 23 2013 1:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  12:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Balm is something i have tried earlier with success but has not been that helpful when under extreme pain. But i will search for a menthod product if available here, most of products on chemists stops in india are ayurvedic products.
Got much more info now and thanks for the link Arman..Much more equipped now
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  07:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get rid of headaches by stopping what I am doing, closing my eyes, and putting all my attention on it. I go through all my senses, and become aware of what it looks like, feels like, sounds like, smells like, and tastes like. Usually at this point it will change or move, which tells me it is working. Then it goes away. This can be used for any pain.

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 24 2013 07:51:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  08:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
EtherfishYes, I tried this and is true. When i tried to do the same after reading about the process on the net, it definitely did move, kept changing places.Guess have to persist with the process for a longer time for it to succeed.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  8:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you have to keep all of your attention on it. Then if it moves, it will usually fade out.

If there is a physical reason for the pain, it will keep coming back.
I broke my wrist, and kept killing the pain in this way for months, then I found out it was broken and got a cast put on for it to heal. so be careful of re-occurring pain. But for things like headaches it works great.
Go to Top of Page

Arim

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  6:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Food with Magnesium or Magnesium supplements would probably help.
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  02:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually had a headache today. I take reishi mushrooms in the evening. Reishi got rid of the majority of my headache!

I took half a teaspoon of extract. I actually could have taken more. Probably would have fully taken care of the headache.

I love Reishi!!
Go to Top of Page

hritpadma

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  6:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You have to get a handle on what type of headache you have.

Some are from work and stress related, building up over days.
Some are from deadlines, where you have a crunch, you work very hard to meet the deadline, then it hits you the next day after the pressure is gone.
Some are triggered by caffeine (or lack there of), chocolate, alcohol, .....
Some are triggered by pranayama beyond your capacity, when a lot of energy goes to your head.

You mention dhauti (internal cleansing by swallowing a cloth?). A possible explanation is that the cleansing is working and as a result of the different biochemical equilibrium in your blood, you get a headache. The cleansing is big change in your gastro-intestinal tract and forces your body to re-establish an equilibrium. This is the whole point, toxins and chemicals in your blood pass into your GI tract because it now has lower concentrations than your blood.

It might be dehydration, you could weigh yourself before and after to put some numbers on it.

It might be sleep related, is your regular sleep pattern interrupted as a result?

You might consider moxibustion (a combination of acupuncture and ayurvedic medicine) where burning herb bundles are moved along the meridians of your temples to drive the headache energy out of your head.

Instead of dhauti, you might consider shankhaprakshalan, where you drink metabolic salt water, do 5 specific asanas, go to the bathroom, repeat in a cycle, until crystal clear water comes out.

You have to carefully examine your diet, sadhana, and lifestyle to figure out what makes dhauti a trigger for a headache.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  4:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Any form of exercise, especially cardio, might be worth trying if you haven't yet. To me it has a protective effect for whatever reason, maybe related to the endorphins and changes in the body. Also, I'd look at possible causes to try to prevent them in the first place if that's possible, like with simple things such as staying hydrated, relaxing head and neck throughout the day, etc. Good luck!

I was going to say just the opposite. In the rare cases where I had a headache, being still (and if possible sleeping) helped.

Specially, focus on the breath and place your attention far from the head (i.e. the feet, first chakra or belly to attract the energy out of the head). Pranayama of short breath as per Ennio's book helps a lot, pivoting in the first chakra. That is, if your type of headache is the type of too much energy or pressure in the head.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000