AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Self Enquiry combined w./Asanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  8:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to share an extremely useful, easy practice. I credit Gary Weber (Happiness Beyond Thought) with this idea.

I do a set of Yoga Asanas every day, following my routine (5 mins SBP, 20 mins DM with mantra enhancement).

Mountain -> Forward Fold (Hold forward fold for 2-3 mins allowing the body to completely relax sinking down) [repeat 10 times]

Downward Dog -> Upward Dog (Hold upward dog for 2-3 mins) [repeat 10 times]

Life nerve stretch (Hold part where bent forward for 2-3 mins, then straighten so torso is vertical) [repeat 10 times)

I perform each movement incredibly slowly, as though moving in slow motion. Attention is entirely rooted on bodily sensations, and thoughts are barely occurring.

During each movement, I will very subtly think of the question "What Am I?", and then allow total attention to be on the sensations arising in awareness, allowing a sort of searching to occur, as though awareness is searching the sensations to see if the sensations are its identity.

One might ask a more blunt question "Am I these sensations? Or am I the awareness within which they appear?" It's my sense that this question may sometimes get a quicker realization, but it doesn't cut as deep. I sense the "What Am I?" question seems to penetrate the "I am the body idea" deeply on a karmic, mental, emotional and physical level. The former question appeals more to just the mental and physical, (particularly mental) because it's illogical to take sensations for oneself, and there's an element of autosuggestion - therefore it can smash a mind-made belief quickly resulting in a flash of realization. But thereafter, what am I is more deeply penetrating.

It seems to me that in the neurobiological structure of the body-mind, the "I am the body-idea" is present as the sense/feeling of there being a "localized me" entity that is in the body. This practice gradually destroys that sense of localization, which I find percolates out through the entire body-mind system, bringing peace, happiness and freedom from bodily tension - restoring the body to its natural state as a vibration in non-local awareness.

I find this practice can be done even during times where I cannot do AYP proper due to overload, and have to simply do breath meditation and these asanas. Of course any asanas could be used, done extremely slowly, holding position for a time.

Edited by - mr_anderson on Sep 07 2013 8:26:53 PM

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2014 :  11:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr Anderson

I have been experimenting with this too . It just kind of came on naturally since I am already applying Self-Enquiry throughout my day while driving, cleaning the kitchen etc. During asanas the body awareness is so acute it just seems the perfect time to address the question "Who am 'I'?"

This body...this bundle of biological processes infused with thoughts, memories and personal history we cherish so much and are constantly, habitually reaffirming without even being aware...becomes so much more "obvious" during asanas.

I sometimes think I might be complicating or diminishing pure asana practice by adding on the mental process of Self-Enquiry. But Self Enquiry has become such an engaging part of my practice that it's hard not to.

Be Well

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2014 :  03:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting MA,

There is definitely something to asanas. They may be a new invention, but it is a powerful practice. Since we are working with dense vasanas in asana, it may be that the self inquiry helps shake those patterns loose.

Il have to give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2014 :  08:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Josh,

Can totally relate to this. I had described how this had happened here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=13921

An interesting phenomenon occurred two days ago. For the first time in months, I went to the studio for a yoga flow practice. When the class began, remnants of a conversation I'd had were going through in my mind. But, with gentle samyama-like remembrance, there was opening into vast spaciousness. The vinyasa became exquisite, as each sensation arose and faded when no name was given to it. Sometimes the sensation, say of pain in certain postures, was quite strong calling for modifications, and these also just happened.. Interestingly, when observed, none of the sensations could be pinpointed to be "in" the body.. The boundary between body here and out there had ceased. They were in the same "location" as thoughts - no specific place.

Agree about the power of asanas to facilitate inquiry.

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2014 :  9:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes isn't that interesting Kami? Sensations now can't be pinpointed sometimes here either when investigated. Like the body and the world are not material but slowly flowing energy.

I tried to respond to you in that other thread but it deleted my text.

Basically, these vipasyana techniques are just crazy. Apply them anywhere and the world starts to dematerialize. Nothing is what it seems. Everything is one thing. But its only a thought within consciousness. But consciousness is just a field. Mind blowing stuff.

Obviously a healthy dose of stillness must first be stabilized within daily life to receive these blessings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000