Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 can enlightenment be contained
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  02:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
without specific sadhana aimed at containing it? it seems to me if the karmic bubble is dissolved your energies will just wander off. i've heard it say that 90% of people who reach enlightenment leave the body at the same time. i knew a christian devotee who died in a state refereed to as "being slain in spirit" by many protestants in the nearby area. he was of good health. at some point your energies will increase to a point they will go beyond the shape of a lingam and become formless once again. What exactly is being referred to as enlightenment. im under the assumption that enlightenment, mukti, jeeva samadhi, mahasamadhi, god-realization are all the same thing and that without knowing how to trick the body it can't be contained.

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gabe

Nice topic but not sure I understand where you're coming from... can you expand a bit? Are you saying it isn't easy or possible to contain enlightenment and therefore nearly impossible to remain in the body once enlightenment is realized? By containment do you mean at least some control over self realization?

The problem one encounters with this line of thought is that enlightenment itself is beyond thought. So if any 'control' is brought into the equation, it begs the question or 2 questions: 1) what exactly is controling or containing the enlightenment? and 2) how is containment engaged if it is done so by means other than the mind?

Means other than the mind....will or intent? And could this will or intent be construed as one's destiny or fate?

Interesting speculation. Once enlightenment more or less stabilizes, one may imagine that the mind no longer is effective in controling anything i.e., that one's entire life is in the hands of the divine, absolute, universe or however one wants to conceive of a higher power. Words would not be very effective in conveying what is at stake here.. Imo, our higher selves are in partnership with the divine in enlightenment. Our higher self may or may not have a say in one's fate. I believe we have a say and that we are at the helm in terms of navigating our fate (but that doesn't mean I believe in free will as it is usually defined).

So therefore I am inclined to believe that the timing of a mahasamadhi (exit from the body) may quite possibly be determined by the enlightened person. And, who knows, it may not be all that difficult to do so.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  11:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
from what i've been thinking from reading quotations of ramakrishna, sadhguru, and other sages is that once enlightenment happens you leave the body. not to say it is impossible, but takes a certain type of sadhana prior ro realization to prepare oneself for maintaining the body. or some other method must be employed: constantly creating a conscious desire, not cutting ones hair along with wearing certain metals.

“Then one reaches the seventh plane, the thousand-petalled lotus. When the kundalini reaches there, samadhi comes about. The Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute Shiva resides at the sahasrara. Here He unites with Shakti – it is the union of Shiva and Shakti. “When the mind reaches the sahasrara, one becomes absorbed in samadhi. In this state all awareness of the external disappears, and the person cannot preserve his body. If milk is poured into his mouth, it runs out.- ramakrishna

Edited by - adishivayogi on Aug 17 2013 1:46:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  2:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gabe Miller

from what i've been thinking from reading quotations of ramakrishna, sadhguru, and other sages is that once enlightenment happens you leave the body. not to say it is impossible, but takes a certain type of sadhana prior ro realization to prepare oneself for maintaining the body. or some other method must be employed: constantly creating a conscious desire, not cutting ones hair along with wearing certain metals.

“Then one reaches the seventh plane, the thousand-petalled lotus. When the kundalini reaches there, samadhi comes about. The Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute Shiva resides at the sahasrara. Here He unites with Shakti – it is the union of Shiva and Shakti. “When the mind reaches the sahasrara, one becomes absorbed in samadhi. In this state all awareness of the external disappears, and the person cannot preserve his body. If milk is poured into his mouth, it runs out.- ramakrishna

Hi Gabe,

That quote from Ramakrishna is a description of samadhi. It is a temporary state of meditative absorption where the consciousness goes deeper than the physical level so there is no longer any awareness of the physical realm or of the physical body. It is not a permanent state, but lasts only for some time. Afterwards the yogi becomes conscious of the physical body again.

It isn't enlightenment, but something that can happen on the way to enlightenment. It can happen many times on the journey.

There is a description of it in this lesson:

http://www.aypsite.org/199.html

All the best,

Christi
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  6:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gabe,

In my reading and experience with AYP, all of the practices are designed to be in harmony with bodily health, and also to be enlightening -- we are on a path of healthy enlightenment.

Namaste,

Be
Go to Top of Page

arti

Christmas Island
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  11:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It as per that quanta choice imo. Earth is more than it seems :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000