Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Different lengths AM and PM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JackHenry

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  6:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends

Forgive me if this question has been dealt with before; I'm not so handy with the search function on this site.

For the last 4-5 months or so I've found myself paring the practice right back, reducing time and letting go of any ambition to add practices beyond basic SB and DM. This seems to be right given the feedback I've been getting internally; or as I sometimes think of it: the feedback I've finally listened to instead of battling. I think i'm really only now learning to self pace.

So I've been doing shorter but more effective sessions of just SB and DM -more effective I think because I've learned to really let go in the process in ways I can't really describe in a short post - it's like I'm much more sensitive to it than I realised before and I can only take either practice in modest gulps, then stop and rest within the practice as soon as I feel discomfort, then start again when the discomfort is gone...and like this I'm carrying on and it seems to be going well.

A few months ago I got it down to 5 mins SB and 10 mins DM twice a day, but found that even that was making me frazzled emotionally. So I decided to go on a diet and take it all the way to 5 mins DM twice a day preceded by a couple of minutes SB. I did that without a trace of discomfort for almost a month...then edged up to one session in the morning of 5 mins SB and 10 mins DM, then a couple of weeks later I tried the same in the evening.
It became clear quickly that it was still too much though - a high followed by an irritable low the next morning, and I've backed off to 5 and 10 in the morning followed by roughly 2.5 and 5 in the evening.

Does anyone see a problem with having uneven lengths like this - should I be doing only 5 minutes twice a day or only 10? I feel doing only 5 is too little, but that could be impatience on my part - and 10 twice a day is obviously too much. But what I'm doing just now seems just right - only very occasionally I feel a bit on the edge, but mostly very smooth.

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

Jack

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 21 2013 7:53:16 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  7:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Ramakrishna

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  4:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've recently cut back my practice substantially. I only do 3-6 SBP at a time now with good results. I also us siddhasana, shambavi, and kechari throughout my entire practice.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  07:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,
I don't see a problem with how your routine is right now. I have done an uneven routine for several months earlier without any discomfort. In my case evenings were a time constraint and therefore a shorter practice.
Go to Top of Page

JackHenry

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  05:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs
[br
In my case evenings were a time constraint and therefore a shorter practice.

Hi mathurs,

Thanks for replying. Well there's also that for me too; my life is very full up just now with work and parenting so it helps to be able to do a very short one in the evenings and feel that it is still ticking me over. It has felt fine to me to be doing it that way - but I couldn't see any mention in Yogani's books or the forum of that possibility, so I wondered. I do have a vague plan that eventually I'll bring my PM session up to equal AM, but my feeling is it will maybe be quite a while, maybe as much as a year, before I'm ready.

Ramakrishna - Hi there, that's interesting, it does seem like a lot of people around the forum are cutting back!

Edited by - JackHenry on Jul 26 2013 07:25:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  11:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack,
I don't think this is a problem. It is a matter of maintaining the habit of twice daily meditation.
All the best with managing your routine as best as you can.

Edited by - mathurs on Jul 26 2013 11:45:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000