Yoga, Career and Money
 Does the provenance of money matter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  06:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste

My parents are renting out a house. The renter was found through an agency. After the contract with the renter was already signed, the police came as they are investigating the renter's activities. They told my parents the son may be engaged in illegal activities (bringing people from his home country illegally to Europe).

The renter did not pay rent through the agency for a few months (this requires bank transaction). He came once with cash, but my father told him he should pay through the agency. After that, he came several times promising he would, but didn't, with some explanation (waiting for an inheritance).

The agency is not taking its responsibility to hire a lawyer and make a case of it despite several requests from my parents. My parents also talked to the renter reminding him to pay several times.

Now, as the renter is not paying and the agency is reluctant to take action, my parents called the agency again and they agreed upon accepting cash money. My parents would prefer the agency to hire a lawyer (as they are contractually required to take steps for making sure rent is paid; they are paid for that). Given that the agency does not do this and my parents are not looking towards pursuing the agency, my parents had another conversation with the agency and agreed to accept cash money from the renter instead of hiring a lawyer.

We do not know how the renter earned the money. Given that the police came and that he does not pay by bank there is a possibility that it is through illegal means suggested by the police. This is not certain however as the renter owns 2 legal activity companies also.

This makes me reflect on the importance of the source of money.
To the extent accepting money from a dubious source supports the dubious activity, accepting this money is not contributing to general welfare.
On the other hand, accepting the money can be seen as a transfer. And what matters most is where the money is eventually spent on.

Which matters most?
Any suggestions on how to make a sound decision looking at this from the yama/niyama perspective or another angle valuing global spiritual growth and global welfare?

Apart from the insecurity of the provenance of the money is the complication that the illegal activity is not necessarily "bad". Laws are dictated by a particular society's perceived threat of its values. In this case mostly protecting "own" inhabitants against financial poverty and potentially also protecting the foreign newcomers from performing activities which society does not approve of.

It may well be that these do not apply in this specific case; perhaps even that the renter has noble intentions. The renter originates from a country that has contributed to the upliftment of many of us and I have personally been blessed to experience its warm unconditional hospitality many a times (India); this does not mean the renter is living by those uplifting ideals, but it could.

Talking to the renter is a good option, which has been taken already. My parents talked to the renter after the police came and asked him to explain. He said he was not doing anything illegal. What else can we do? Should we trust or be skeptical?

And most importantly:
Can we take a decision that is beneficial no matter whether this person is honest and caring or not?

Thank you for sharing your well-considered perspectives.

Edited by - Ruben on Dec 02 2012 07:06:29 AM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  2:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You should just accept the rent money, and not worry where it came from. It is not our business to investigate the lives of other people and judge them. If there is something wrong with the way he is living, it will make itself apparent later, and you can deal with it at that time.
Until he over-steps your boundaries, there is nothing to be concerned with. There is an epidemic of people in power over-stepping their boundaries today and intruding into the lives of others. There is no need for us to become like them. At the time the renter moved in, he should have been asked who he works for, and that issue should have been settled and dropped at that point.
If the rental agency didn't do that, and aren't collecting the money, what do you pay them for? Time for a new agency.
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  3:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Etherfish. It is enriching to hear your perspective.

The renter owns two carwash companies. So, before the police came (after the contract had already been signed), it was assumed money came from these businesses (which may be valid indeed).

Choices have already been made by my parents, so as you suggest, it seems wise to let things unfold as they do and learn from whatever unfolds.

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

You should just accept the rent money, and not worry where it came from. It is not our business to investigate the lives of other people and judge them. If there is something wrong with the way he is living, it will make itself apparent later, and you can deal with it at that time.
Until he over-steps your boundaries, there is nothing to be concerned with. There is an epidemic of people in power over-stepping their boundaries today and intruding into the lives of others. There is no need for us to become like them. At the time the renter moved in, he should have been asked who he works for, and that issue should have been settled and dropped at that point.
If the rental agency didn't do that, and aren't collecting the money, what do you pay them for? Time for a new agency.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000