Yoga, Career and Money
 Yoga With Horses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  02:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Great news: I got my Arabian gelding, Sierra back! He had been adopted 2 months ago but I kept having dreams where he came to me and said he was unhappy and wanted to come home. I told myself it was just the monkey-mind messing with me, but finally decided to go visit him on Saturday so that I could see how happy he was with his new family and put it to rest. However, when I saw him he was clearly depressed, so I bought him back and brought him home. His mate Angel was thrilled to see him and they were SO happy to be reuinted! (They have been together for 13 years, since Angel was a yearling.) I decided they can never be separated again and I further decided to keep them despite the financial concerns, trusting that everything will work out somehow. I dropped it into the silence in samyama today and had a sudden inspiration: I can offer "Yoga With Horses" (a type of Equine Therapy/Enrichment activity) here at Lothlorien! Then the horses' food, etc. will be tax-deductible! Very cool. It's amazing the more I trust the Divine flow in life, I am finding all these options and possibilities, whereas previously I felt kind of trapped or limited...

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  05:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very happy for Angel & her/his mate.

Sounds a great idea.

All the best,will keep you in my prayer.

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  05:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  12:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yay! I love the idea of yoga with horses. I've wanted to go to one of those types of clinics but have not had time or money for it. I really hope it all works out for you.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  02:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for your support, my dears! Will keep you updated. I am currently in the process of trying to get liability insurance. Turns out I cannot use the word "therapy" since I am not a Licensed Psychologist in Florida. So I am going through the paperwork and red tape but confident we can do this. At the very least I can offer "riding lessons" and kind of weave the yoga into it...

By the way, speaking of "red tape," it is truly amazing all the obstacles and roadblocks that exist to prevent a person from making a living these days. Everything, EVERYTHING is so f*ing regulated in America that you either have to be rich or else find ways to get around it. (They say it is "to protect the public" but I highly doubt it; rather, it's to protect the bank accounts of the members of the lobbying groups who want to keep new people out of the field.) E.g., I can't practice Psychology with my M.A., but I just got certified as a "Holistic Wellness Counselor" which is not YET regulated by the State and which augments my Ministerial License, where I am getting certified as a "Pastoral Counselor," although it will NOT qualify me as a "Licensed Pastoral Counselor" in the State of Florida. etc., etc. Also I am not a "Certified Riding Instructor" although I met somebody who had been riding horses for only a couple of years and was able to get certified by attending a brief and very expensive program; I've been riding for 46 years and training and teaching off and on for at least 30...! oh well, it's all maya. I believe this will work out somehow.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  03:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful, Radharani. I'm also planning to start giving sessions together with my horse, working in a round corall. This woman has inspired me a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGcS88SEqok

Good luck to you! Horses are amazing beings!!!
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  03:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Riding lessons,discounted package for kids at junior schools or families.kids yoga class where kids can get a one round horse-back ride at the end of the class ...maybe team up with that "somebody" who has the qualification for a temporary business...till you can do it on your own

I'm sure something will turn up for you best Radha.

Love
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  4:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to have a certification to teach riding in Florida?? sheesh. I recently wanted to start teaching here on y farm but i need to get Instructors Insurance which I can't afford right now. Can be a bit tiresome all this regulation. Too many laws.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  01:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

You need to have a certification to teach riding in Florida?? sheesh. I recently wanted to start teaching here on y farm but i need to get Instructors Insurance which I can't afford right now. Can be a bit tiresome all this regulation. Too many laws.

Well, fortunately as of yet you don't technically "need" a certification to teach riding in Florida. I was able to get my instructor's insurance without it! BUT, you DO need to be a Certified Therapist in order to CALL it "Equine Assisted Therapy." So I had to get the insurance under "Equine Assisted Learning" which does not require a therapist license. Yes, the regulation is getting crazy. And yes the insurance is expensive - about $90/month - but it is fully tax-deductible, along with the horses' food and everything, which will help me a lot.

Edited by - Radharani on May 09 2012 01:35:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  01:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Beautiful, Radharani. I'm also planning to start giving sessions together with my horse, working in a round corall. This woman has inspired me a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGcS88SEqok

Good luck to you! Horses are amazing beings!!!

emc, awesome!! thanks for sharing that video, it is a lot like what I had in mind. I'm so glad we are both doing this!
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  01:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Delara

Riding lessons,discounted package for kids at junior schools or families.kids yoga class where kids can get a one round horse-back ride at the end of the class ...maybe team up with that "somebody" who has the qualification for a temporary business...till you can do it on your own

I'm sure something will turn up for you best Radha.

Love

Delara, yes, I am definitely going to offer riding lessons for kids (my Arabian is great with kids). I was able to get insurance to cover riding lessons and "Equine Assisted Learning" (but NOT "Therapy"). Sadly, because I am not a Certified Therapist, the insurance will not allow me to work with the handicapped. But, at least I can still work with everybody else. So, the business is happening! Thanks for the encouragement.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  1:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yay! Please keep us updated on how things go.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  04:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

Yay! Please keep us updated on how things go.

I will! Tonight we were out on the back porch and the horses came up to visit. Sierra reached up over the railing to kiss me, and seeing that sweet horsey face, I am SO THANKFUL he is home! I know he and Angel will be a blessing to the kids who come here.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  11:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So here is the update, my friends: Got my liability insurance in May, Hawk & I built a lovely round pen, and I did TONS of advertising! The result: ONE call from a mom who said her daughter needed "horse therapy" and was quite excited to begin, until told it would cost $25 and promptly hung up, which was odd since "regular/ nontherapeutic" riding lessons here in town cost the same or more. And one call from a person wanting to be hired. That's it, nothing came of it, nada. The only upside is that I am deducting the horses' living expenses on my taxes, which is helpful.

Meanwhile since last December when I was sure I was being led to sell the farm and open my new studio on the beach where I kept getting so many calls, 3 new studios have opened on the beach, which charge from zero to $5-7 and offer childcare. Now all my students are too broke for yoga classes, except for those who have more than 1 job and/or work on-call many hours and therefore often have to miss class. I had been struggling to keep my trailer-home clean enough for students who may or may not show up and it just wasn't worth it.

I investigated and was turned down for bankruptcy, debt relief, refinance, etc., and as a result my property was audited by the County and my property taxes were raised by 43% and I lost my homestead on the new house we built! Meanwhile, the same day my step-mom died from chemo, I quit my job in oncology; I couldn't stomach it anymore, the work was sporadic anyway and didn't pay nearly enough to be worth the aggravation, especially since it was night-shift.

So I'm like, WTF? how am I ever going to make a living??!! Sobbing as I cleaned my bathroom (I find cleaning therapeutic as it provides a victory, albeit temporary, over entropy), I thought of my first job, when I worked as a maid at age 17, and it suddenly dawned on me, "A maid, I can do this!" God knows I would rather scrub toilets than be chained to a desk typing reports of cancer patients being burned and tortured. With a friend, started a new company called "Clean & Green by Design" www.cleangreenbydesign.com Friend had to back out due to not being able to find childcare for her 2 kids. So far I've only had a few jobs, some cleaning but mostly painting. It is enjoyable, really hope I can make a living.

If this doesn't work don't know what I will do. Hawk and I actually were offered an opportunity to do our own x-rated videos online, which we would love to do (tastefully, although I realize many would argue against it) - we would have full writing/production rights and could do whatever we want, but we decided against it due to the recent scandals in the yoga community and the fact, as Jenna Jamison has pointed out in her autobiography, people WILL find out...

So the current plan is to do the cleaning/design and then in May when my tenant moves out, I will move into the new house (thereby reclaiming my homestead) and use it as my new yoga studio and get the advertising going again. Recently learned that Hawk could qualify for food stamps and all kinds of government assistance, especially if he gets custody of his kids, but ONLY if I move out. So I guess that's what I will do. and if THAT doesn't work, beats the hell out of me WTF I am going to do to make a living, but since I've pretty much lost my ability to worry about the future, I guess que sera sera, whatever will be, will be! I am just extremely grateful that all this bullsh*t is happening NOW, after my reality shifted, because if it had happened previously I would never have been able to handle it...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000