Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Kundalini yoga spinal energy series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheSeeker

Sweden
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  04:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!

Iam new to this site and to these lessons you have here, but I have to say that I love what I have been reading so far and I appreciate this incredible work that everyone of you guys is doing.
And Yogani, you are awsome man...God bless you.
I was just wondering one thing, I have been practesing meditation for a very long time now, and I also use to take som kundalini yoga classes where I learned a lot of good things like the "yoga spinal energy series" which I have in this link:

http://www.pinklotus.org/-%20KY%20K...ies%20fp.htm

I use to do these and meditate immediately after that for about 20-30 minutes. And I feel like this series is actually enhancing my meditaion, making my go deeper in my meditation.
My question is can I combine this exercies with the lessons on this site, so that maybe I can do them before doing pranayama? can I do these instead of the yoga asanas that you have here?

Thank you in advance!

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  2:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TheSeeker, and welcome!

I'm not familiar with the kundalini spinal energy series you mentioned, but from the diagrams and descriptions at the link, they seem to involve breath work and some application of mudras and bandhas. There could be some "doubling up" if you are also doing AYP spinal breathing pranayama and any other of the AYP practices (mudras, bandhas, kumbhaka) involving similar elements. By "doubling up," I mean doing twice as much of particular elements of practice, which can lead to energy excesses.

It is not easy to predict what will happen when mixing practices from more than one system. Barring experiences reported by others with a particular combination of practices, there is only one way to find out if you really must know -- Try it, with prudent self-pacing, and let us know how it goes. Around here, we call it "research on modifications to a baseline system of practice." The combinations for variations on practice are practically unlimited. Here is a lesson that discusses it: http://www.aypsite.org/384.html

Wishing you all the best on your path!

The guru is in you.

PS: Keep in mind that some practices or combinations of practice can have a delayed energetic effect, so it is good to take small steps and allow time for any changes to settle in before making more changes.

PPS: Regarding using the series you mentioned instead of the light set of asanas provided in AYP, again, the focus would be more on energy awakening than light stretching to prepare for meditation. The series you provided is much more breath/pranayama oriented. Nor does it include any inversion or partial inversion postures. Not that these are essential, but they are part of a balanced routine of yoga postures. So there are questions about the intensity and balance of the series you mentioned when combined with another system that may include the same elements in different parts of the routine. Again, be mindful about doubling up on similar elements of practice. In this business, more can be less and less can be more.

Go to Top of Page

TheSeeker

Sweden
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  2:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you dear Yogani!....I think I will just stick with the AYP practies...Its the best to keep it easy and safe (:

Have a nice day

TheSeeker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000