Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 begging bowl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  1:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently translated this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3t...ture=related

"Begging bowl"

I came here with a begging bowl
O Lord my Master
O Lord my Master
A microcosm of bones, muscles, nerves
and blood contained in the body

I came here with this begging bowl
O Lord my Master

were mother and the father behind this ill
was it the ancient flaw which we call fate

A small toy amidst life
I seek to realize the truth

I came here with the begging bowl
O Lord my Master

when all the wealth is with you
where should i go for begging

when all the wealth is with you
where should i go for begging

all i have is the vessel
which was made with your chisel

It wasnt once or twice
you gave me innumerable births
facing new karma or the old lies
every moment you made me suffer
the need for meaningless alms
is still haunting me rough
your grace your grace
so i call out loud
look me with your compassionate eyes
support me with your feet
would your holy arms embrace me with mercy

O Lord my Master

A microcosm of bones, muscles, nerves
and blood contained in the body

I came here with this begging bowl
O Lord my Master

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  10:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Do you post these some place (other than the forum )?

I have been thinking of starting a blog with song translations... Swan has worked on a few Bengali songs (did a very good job)... so was wondering if you or anyone else would be interested in starting a blog/website with Swan and me on translating songs into English.
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Very nice!
Do you post these some place (other than the forum )?

I have been thinking of starting a blog with song translations... Swan has worked on a few Bengali songs (did a very good job)... so was wondering if you or anyone else would be interested in starting a blog/website with Swan and me on translating songs into English.

Shanti,

Absolutely, if I could be of any help... As you could see, I am not very consistent, I drift into this forum for sometime and then I drift off, go do something else... But I am totally available to take any passive role...
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sivasambho
Absolutely, if I could be of any help... As you could see, I am not very consistent, I drift into this forum for sometime and then I drift off, go do something else... But I am totally available to take any passive role...

Hi sivasambho,
Sounds good. We just published Swan's first translation here: http://bengalisongtranslation.wordpress.com/
I was thinking of getting a website together with a menu for different languages and on clicking this, it will take you to songs with translation in that language.
But it will take some time I guess...
If you have any more songs you have worked on please do send them to me (along with what language it is in... I am not good at identifying south Indian languages... I know my friends reading this will be shaking their heads and laughing at me ). Or if you'd like to post them yourself, we can work on that as well.

Anyone else does song translations (any language is fine... not necessarily Indian languages only)... please feel free to share it with me... Click on my name and you can send me an email with the original lyrics to the song, translations and if possible a web link where the reader can hear the song. Or if you'd like to help with the website, let me know.
And I lets skip "Gangnam Style".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000