Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 What to do now?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lovelyroses

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing some meditation, pranayama, Kriya etc since october 2011. Long story short, when I meditate or do my Kriya, I feel something rising from the base of the spine but it is not in the center. It is going towards my left side and it is powerful, I involuntarily hold my spine. A circuit kinda thing is formed from my base of the spine to the head and strong currents are felt, more like electricity.

I get goose bumps on one side of the body and sometimes in both and this happens during my Kriya sadhana. Can anyone tell me if it's okay? And what should I do when I feel this fear that something is happening to me? I am unable to sit straight when a strong force goes up. Again, I am not sure if it is kundalini or not... Whatever it is, it is not going in the center, that much is sure!

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lovelyroses,

Welcome to the forum. Can you say a bit more about what kind of meditation, pranayama and kriyas you are doing? Without knowing that it is hard to give any advice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

lovelyroses

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the welcome. I am a very religious person, so I do a proper Hindu puja, chant mantras, attend Satsangs at least twice a week,do Shambhavi Maha Mudra for 21 minutes every day (It is Isha's as taught by my Guru Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev) once a day (and to be truthful, I have missed my Kriya once or twice a week) but I am now doing it everyday. I'm sorry. I cannot talk about exactly what is involved in that as that is supposed to be only with disciples. I sometimes just sit silently (not doing any meditation, as it is but just be very silent until my mind quietens and I feel peace and electricity). That's my spiritual practices. I also constantly listen to devotional songs, read devotional books etc. I just have this problem where I feel possibly my "K" is raising but not in the center but diagonally towards the left and I am unable to sit still during such episodes. Also I have prana movements along the sushumna and the head. Sometimes very strong prana is there. Could it be a deflected K? I am not able to talk about it with the teachers or the meditators as such talking is kinda banned there as they say talking about experiences can lead to some attachment... They just asked me to do the practices twice a day but I do not have time or inclination for twice a day practice. Now I'm not sure what to do?!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  4:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lovelyroses,

Thanks for explaining your practices. The electrical sensations you are experiencing are kundalini. Unfortunately without knowing what your kriya practice is I can't give you much advice. This is because some kriya practices are dangerous and others are not. All I can recommend is that you read through the main lessons on this website, which will give you a good understanding of kriya practice, and what is safe and what is not.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  6:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lovelyroses

Hi Christi,

Thanks for the welcome. I am a very religious person, so I do a proper Hindu puja, chant mantras, attend Satsangs at least twice a week,do Shambhavi Maha Mudra for 21 minutes every day (It is Isha's as taught by my Guru Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev) once a day (and to be truthful, I have missed my Kriya once or twice a week) but I am now doing it everyday. I'm sorry. I cannot talk about exactly what is involved in that as that is supposed to be only with disciples. I sometimes just sit silently (not doing any meditation, as it is but just be very silent until my mind quietens and I feel peace and electricity). That's my spiritual practices. I also constantly listen to devotional songs, read devotional books etc. I just have this problem where I feel possibly my "K" is raising but not in the center but diagonally towards the left and I am unable to sit still during such episodes. Also I have prana movements along the sushumna and the head. Sometimes very strong prana is there. Could it be a deflected K? I am not able to talk about it with the teachers or the meditators as such talking is kinda banned there as they say talking about experiences can lead to some attachment... They just asked me to do the practices twice a day but I do not have time or inclination for twice a day practice. Now I'm not sure what to do?!

Hi Lovelyroses,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm quite familiar with the Shambhavi Maha Mudra - I practiced it for a very short while before I found AYP a few years ago. It is a good system that works for many, but didn't for me Also, many people I know who have practiced it have had issues of one sort or other. There are also many who are doing great with it - it is very individual.

My advice to you at this point would be to cut back on the kriya. If doing it even once a day is causing these issues, probably better to stop it for a few days. Some components of the kriya are "supercharged" - please take a look at lessons on Spinal Bastrika Pranayama and Chin Pump Jalandhara on the left.

Most importantly, scale back on devotional practices - too much bhakti can also "short circuit" the system. It is much more beneficial to live a very normal life and do ordinary things in between practices. Even though we would like to charge ahead and get enlightened already, it doesn't work like that. It is extremely essential for the inner silence and energy cultivated in practices (whatever they may be) to get integrated in our day-to-day activities. For me, exercise is absolutely essential to stay grounded. If you are not exercising in some form, try walking or swimming or dancing - anything that gets you moving. Get involved in your life with family and friends, watch movies, focus on hobbies/work, whatever. 24/7 practices or bhakti does not necessarily translate into "progress"

Please also read the lesson on Self-Pacing on the left.

All the best to you!

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

lovelyroses

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  05:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kami for your input. I am not looking for enlightenment ! ;D It is not like I have Bhakti for getting enlightenment. HAHA. It is not a cheap commodity like that. "Hey, I love you God, so now give me enlightenment!" :D I don't know much but I know this much. It is not like we can switch ON/OFF devotion! :) It is quite natural to be in a state of devotion and surrender, without expecting any rewards, enlightenment and having some fanciful wishlist. :) I am doing my practice as I am instructed to do. I just was wondering if there is anything I can do to make my practices smoother! :)

I know SMM is a wonderful process and it continues to work its wonders every day in some way for many many people and even for me, except for this small issue of me not being able to be still.

When we develop a higher taste, it may not be easy to go for a lower activity, sometimes it is just not possible. When you are in love with the Lord, can you imagine cutting down your love for your Lord or not sing His praise or read His glories?! Not possible... :) I can give up any remotely fanciful ideas of enlightenment... Who cares?

The question of why I do my 21 minute a day practice might come up now... It gives me that peace and I know deep down it is helping me tremendously. I guess I will surrender more to the Lord and may He do whatever He wants with me as I do my practices! :)

Thank you all!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  06:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah Fear. Fear is caused by resistance, resistance is the result of going too quickly. Regardless of how you recognise progress or devotion it is always leading to awakening. Awakening is a shock to those who are not prepared for it and so the fear cuts in to regulate progress.

Would you be any less of a lover of God in an enlightened or awakened state? No. You would be in unity with God. All would be in Unity. Love and Devotion flowing out and inwards at the same time.

Kami gives good advice. Take it slowly
Go to Top of Page

lovelyroses

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  07:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense, Karl. I am not looking for some awakening or enlightenment. Yoga, I hope, will help me surrender more fully to my God. That is my motivation. I already have Him very close but I want Him forever with me.

I want to be a lover of God, a servant of God, a child of God than to be "awakened" or "enlightened" any day. I want to be His beloved.

Meditation or Kriya is not more important to me than devotion. It is to help me love God more and more... and my idea is not to become God and declare "Aham Brahmasmi" pompously.

I am doing all the regular activities like taking a walk, watching a movie once in a while, working, spending time with family, etc. Devotion is deeper than any activity that one can do. Every act is devotion. That is offered with love at the Lord's feet.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lovelyroses

It is to help me love God more and more... and my idea is not to become God and declare "Aham Brahmasmi" pompously.

Hi lovelyroses,

Pompous declaration of anything is anything but "enlightenment"

As Karl hinted at so eloquently, every creature's deepest longing is for happiness in some form or other, devotion being one of them. Ultimately, every single form of life is seeking God/happiness/enlightenment/Oneness, whether we realize it or not, whether we announce it or not; it really doesn't matter what we call "It".. And each of us will walk our own uniquely perfect path to "get" there (which is nowhere but right here, of course ).

Having said that, I totally understand your fervor and wish you nothing but the best on your (beautifully perfect) chosen path! I hope your journey is smooth sailing.

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

Sanjeev

India
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  10:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I strongly recommend that you stop immediately and check my email.
I'm a Shambhavi practitioner myself. I do not wish to write here about Isha, so I sent you an email.

You are blessed, but you are in danger zone now. Continuing without guidance is not recommended.
You can start again when the symptoms become mild, so no need to give up forever, just pause it.

Go to Top of Page

lovelyroses

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  3:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sanjeev for your response. I appreciate your genuine concern for another human being. After a lot of thought and a strong recommendation from someone whom I greatly respect (a yogi), I think the best course of action is to improve the strength of my body and nadis by practising Hatha Yoga every day in addition to my SMM. I need a balance in my breath. Hope you are feeling better now Sanjeev... Listen to Brahmananda Swaroopa by Sadhguru. With faith and by God's will, we can overcome the obstacles.

I am trying to surrender more fully... You might want to try the same.

Love,
LR
Go to Top of Page

Sanjeev

India
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  3:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome. Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you all the best :)
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  09:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lovelyroses,

Great to see you are continuing your practises. Though my father was my first guru, who attained mukthi this year, I did start shambhavi about 4 years ago with Isha. Its a wonderful practise that allows us to reach new limits within ourselves at the same time experientially you would know what enlightenment is.

Enjoy and hope you are able to progress as much as possible. From my experience, just follow them, dont be deceived by any mean people. They all really love you. :)
Go to Top of Page

thetourist

India
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  1:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello lovelyroses,

I came on your post since I was interested to know reviews about Shambhavi Mahamudra.

-Did your issue get solved?
-Is there something to be concerned about the Shambhavi practice?

I'm really eager to know because I'm planning to attend the InnerEngineering class soon, within a month or so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000