New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  06:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They are indeed different by the location in the body they belong to. What do you feel? It may be a little pain at the location f the different mantras.

Axel
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  5:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi all,

Not wishing to quibble, but...

There is a slight difference between the Sanskrit mantra AIM and the English word I'm. AIM has a slightly pronounced short 'i' in the middle of it. Imagine the English word aisle and then taking the 'sle' bit off the end and putting an 'm' on, that would be pretty close.

This is why I AM and AIM are not the same... AIM has a short 'i' and I AM doesn't.

You can hear it in the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJ4eqHSCFs

Christi

Hi Christi,

I don't hear it, which might explain a lot.

If only you Brits would speak English like the rest of us ...

"But Seriously" ... it's all good. I just wasn't delving into quite that level of nuance, and (also) wasn't aware it existed.

The "Ai" in Aisle, and the "I" in I'm sound essentially identical to me, but, then again ..... I am American in general, and Californian in particular, and our manner of expression along with the accent thereof, is often, like, totally unique.

My main "quibble" was the distinction between one syllables and two -- and regarding that quibble, it seems we agree.

For what it's worth (to all) here's a Sanskrit alphabet pronunciation guide, with audio, for each letter.

Go to Top of Page

Shivadas

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste, friends

As Yogani has explained, it is the soundlike quality and the vibration of the mantra that is important, how it effects our minds in meditation and leading us to inner silence and the witnessing awareness that is "I". At the same time I can relate to the topic of autenticity and the need to verify the mantra with outside sources In that regard I want to present the following where David Godman (suitable name ), a long time devotee of Sri Ramana Maharshi presents the Maharshi's comments on the AYAM mantra. This might be interesting information for the Self-Inquiry enthusiast out there

I am - The First Name of God
(First published in The Mountain Path, 1992, pp. 26-35 and pp. 126-42.)

"In the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad there is a verse that describes how, at the beginning of the universe, the Self became aware of itself as 'I':

"In the beginning this [universe] was the Self aloneā€¦ He [the Self] reflected and saw nothing but the Self. He first said, 'I am He'. Therefore He came to be known by the name aham ['I'].(1)

"'I' thus became the first name of God. Bhagavan corroborated the sentiments expressed in this verse when he told a devotee, 'The one, infinite, unbroken whole [plenum] became aware of itself as ''I''. This is its original name. All other names, for example Om, are later growths.'(2)

"On another occasion Bhagavan, commenting on this famous verse from the Upanishads, explained how, due to a felicitous combination of letters, the name aham not only denoted the subjective nature of God but also implied that it encompassed and constituted all of the manifest universe:

"The talk then turned to the name of God and Bhagavan said, 'Talking of all mantras, the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says 'aham' [I] is the first name of God. The first letter in Sanskrit is 'A' and the last letter 'Ha' and 'aha' thus includes everything from beginning to end. The word ayam means 'that which exists', Self-shining and Self-evident. Ayam, atma and aham all refer to the same thing.(3)

"The name aham merely indicates that God experiences himself subjectively as 'I'. When one adds the word 'am' to the name there is the further implication that God is, that God is being itself. Bhagavan expounded on this idea in Guru Vachaka Kovai and then went on to say that 'I am' is not merely the first name of God, it is also the most appropriate..."

Source: http://davidgodman.org/rteach/fnofgod1.shtml

Prem from Shivadas

Edited by - Shivadas on Jun 27 2012 07:15:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

davesiddha

South Africa
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  03:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victors orginal mantra the chamundayee mantra is om aim reem kleem chamundayee viche, in india it is actually pronounced as 'I'm'. If this sound 'aim' is to be used for meditation, it should be sounded as 'ayim' which is a two syllabicated original beej mantra which will give good results.

But Victors contention that 'Aim' is the same as ' I am' is totally false. One is pronounced 'ayim', another is pronounced 'ayam'.

It does not really matter which one you use, but lets not confuse the tow. Lets put this matter to bed.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  5:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for you input. There appears to be more subtlety to this than I had realized. I do see the difference between ayeeem and ayaaam if it is expanded that way.It has felt helpful to explore this if for no other reason than to help those who did not see the Ayam mantra as legitimate or traditional. It gives them something to go on.

Edited by - Victor on Aug 16 2012 5:27:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000