AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Hero's Journey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  7:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The Hero's Journey is a well-known formula for myth that Joseph Campbell came up with back in his day. I imagine that many of you are already familiar with it. If not, I suggest doing a bit of reading on it because it is quite interesting in terms of the spiritual experience.

I came upon Campbell's books on the subject back when my own spiritual journey started, and even though it's always been in the back of my mind, I'm astounded at how closely the external events of my life mirror the monomyth of the Hero's Journey. Especially when looking at the milestones and dramatic events.

I wonder if others here have felt the same? Have you experienced the Hero's Journey in your own spiritual journey in some way?

Thankfully, the best part of my hero's journey, the end of the cycle, is just around the corner. Or maybe not! But I look forward to that day and it's the hope that keeps me going.

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  08:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had always thought that the Hero's Journey was a well understood metaphor in all the ancient mystery schools, and not a modern phenomena at all.

And I agree - My life, and that of most fellow seekers seem to follow that mythic formula.

Yes, thankfully, the end of the cycle is just around the corner, and the destination is just over the next hill ... but more than that, the scenery is .. immeasurable.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  11:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a few hours of his Bill Moyers interview, so I only have "baby knowledge" about his work. But I found him wise and authentic. He speaks from a mythic place and I feel he lived the Hero's Journey.

quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

I wonder if others here have felt the same? Have you experienced the Hero's Journey in your own spiritual journey in some way?

In some ways, yes. I can recognize many of the phases in my own life, but haven't contemplated where I am in that model.

But it's the human story, no? I wouldn't be surprised if all human beings passed through this great mystery. Being aware of it or not is the question.

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Beatrice

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  3:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BuddhiHermit

I had always thought that the Hero's Journey was a well understood metaphor in all the ancient mystery schools, and not a modern phenomena at all.

It's massively a modern phenomena and used by ALL modern films, yes ALL.
See http://www.clickok.co.uk/index4.html

Namaste.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  7:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm a fan of Joseph Campbell too, and upon reviewing the stages of the Hero's Journey, it certainly resonates with my experience. There's definitely some kind of archetypal pattern woven into our genetics. Star Wars is a prime example of a story that embodies the formula. Thanks for sharing this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000