Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 a book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  01:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A few days ago I found a book that's been on my shelf for a long time. It caught my attention because it fits in to what I've been thinking about lately, and it addresses some of my creative pursuits that have until now been vague. The book is very short, but it opened me up wide and gave me a view that I hadn't yet seen. I feel like I'm seeing something for the first time, and wondering what took me so long to get here. I highly recommend it. The book is 'The Heart of Understanding' by Thich Nhat Hanh, and it is a commentary on the Heart Sutra.

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  12:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
awesome book
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  04:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg
I have read some of this book some time ago and placed it in the library we have at our sangha.
Coincidently I have been thinking only last night and this morning of having a "day of mindfulness" with the theme as "mindfulness and the heart sutra".
Through my own practices I have developed a theme for the day, but I had forgotten completely about this book.

Thanks for the timely reminder

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Meg for recommending this book.
Really awesome.
Grew up with the knowledge.. there is no birth.. no death..(the Gita).. now I understand... did not know I could learn so much from a leaf and a cloud and a rose and garbage.
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be glad to read this book if I can find a copy of it. I came to this site to exchange ideas regarding Kundalini/estatic conductivity, so I'm always open to these types of recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  2:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maatsuah - The Heart Sutra is profound, and what TNH writes about it is illuminating, but it's not informative on the kundalini process. He's a Buddhist; kundalini emerges (slithers?) from the Hindu tradition. I came to AYP in search of info on kundalini as well, and there's a wealth of info in Yogani's lessons. Have you bought his book with the lessons? It's available at Amazon (or online, but I don't like reading online). I highly recommend it, as it's extremely informative and well written. As soon as you start reading about or experiencing Shakti, it's not long til you're reading and experiencing Shiva, and there's good info on that as well.

Another book that I found very helpful was "Kundalini and the Evolution of Consciousness" by Solomae Sananda. She's a bit of a quack, and the book is terribly written, but other than that (!!) it helped to understand some the process that one goes through during a kundalini awakening. That's the only book by her that I'd recommend, btw.
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have much knowledge about Buddhism but I was taken with the title and will probably get it anyway, but thanks for the clarification Meg. By the way, I already have "Kundalini and the Evolution of Consciousness" and I agree with you. I didn't really care for the small amount that I read and it is sitting somewhere in my closet covered with dust.

Sometimes I do better talking to people of like mind regarding what type of books to buy than just looking in book stores. I want more knowledge of kundalini but I am also looking for books that have a quiet, profound meaning. A commentary on the Heart Sutra sounds very enriching to me and if the book is small it won't be intimidating and I can read it several times until it speaks to me. This is the type of reading that I am not doing a lot of because I don't know what to buy so I still appreciate the suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  5:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another excellent book is 'Shakti, an introduction to Kundalini Maha Yoga' by Dhyanyogi Madhusudandasji available on Amazon.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  08:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestion riptiz. I'll look it up later today. I can't seem to read enough lately. I have lost interest in the tv which I used to watch a few months back so reading is all I do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000