Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Cramping in hand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  08:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ive not mentioned this, but it has been a feature of DM since starting out. My right hand goes into a cramped up state, not proper cramp, just a sort if rigid muscle spasm. Not paid it much attention, but wondered if anyone knew why, or if it was of any importance?

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  08:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
personally i feel electric shots in the palms and soles of the feet...sudden and a bit painful...energy circulating i suppose
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  10:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can relate to the cramp a bit, but not to any muscle spasm. On rare occasion, perhaps when I don't move one bit from sitting in DM, both hands tend to acquire a type of sleep paralysis type of feeling to them, even while in relaxed jnana mudra (old time habit). It's slightly pleasant to me even if it does feel a bit strange. Also, this morning's routine gave a split second of an enjoyable sensation in my hands, something that's never happened before.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Feb 26 2012 10:11:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  11:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl

Before coming to AYP, I have felt the left side of my body over-energized or feeling energetically heavy(inside).. Wondered about this right and left side of the body and asked few people, they said it might be due to make-up of body/karma/minor blocks. Now when I practise AYP samyama,sometimes I feel the body infused with energy (especially hands).

I believe it should not be a cause for concern unless it gives raise to painful symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  11:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sometimes is obvious enough to draw the attention during DM. I jut shift focus to the hand until my awareness gets bored and go back to the Mantra. It's not so much a cramp as a rigidity/ tension which I try and relax from time to time. I wondered if it was a right/left brain symptom.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  2:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get "cramping" (at least not that sticks around) but I do get a sharp, sudden "clenching spasm" with my left arm/hand pretty regularly during DM. I will often get a sudden burst of energy through the body which results in an arm/hand spasm, always on the left side. I don't know what this is, but I have always assumed it was the energy working it's way through a blockage that is somewhere in one of the energy circuits/channels involved in the left arm.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  7:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find that sometimes letting the hands and palms be quite open is really excellent. As Yogani says, when you connect the pointer fingers and thumbs, you're closing the circuit (which can be good, because you're containing the energy so it can circulate more thoroughly). But sometimes my hands want to relax even more (no fingers connected--just open, upward or downward palms), and this allows energy to flow out of the palms and fingertips. You can experiment with hand mudras (both with open and closed circuits).

My trouble lies in the legs. I've had to find the right custom sitting posture to accommodate the nervousness and tension, which is dissipating as time passes. Time is a great healer, you know, when combined with practice.

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  02:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
find that sometimes letting the hands and palms be quite open is really excellent. As Yogani says, when you connect the pointer fingers and thumbs, you're closing the circuit (which can be good, because you're containing the energy so it can circulate more thoroughly).

yes...i do that...it is excellent...it is chin mudra also called jnana mudra
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  12:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I get that too..jnana mudra. For me I use it as a signal that I've gone deep.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I just held pointing finger and thumb together, hey presto, sorted.
Where the heck does Yogani mention that? I'm going have to re- read everything at this rate.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's in the "Asanas, Mudras, and Bandhas" book:

An effective way to seal the flow of inner energies in the hands, arms and upper body, is to engage the hand mudras. These come in several varieties (chin or jnana), which involve completing an energy circuit between the thumb and first finger. During pranayama and meditation this can be done with the hands resting on the thighs or knees, with the palms facing either down or up. The result will be a smoother flow of the energy in the arms and upper body, and a tendency toward less physical movement. In other words, more efficient flow of ecstatic energy.

He also mentions that the hand mudras are more of an effect rather than a cause of spiritual progress. The need/desire arises naturally, as it is doing with you.

Seek and ye shall find!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  9:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi Tree: it is also in the easy lessons volumes somewhere, where it is suggested not to do it as it may be a distraction to DM, unless there's an urge to use it arising out of practice over time. Personally I find it a distraction not to because the habit is so familiar, but I don't yet feel anything from doing it.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  11:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
karl: Ah, it was a star lesson 135. I too would have to re-read that one as I can no longer confirm some of what I said above. Either way, jnana mudra or other things may fall into micromanaging. In the past, I used to get a bit of pain in my right leg while sitting in meditation. At some point, I decided to not sit on my wallet in daily life by carrying it instead in my front pocket, and the minor pain also ceased. So might be worth a look at ergonomics, sports, etc. that involve your right hand as a suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  03:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking back I remember seeing a film with someone sat in a classic pose with finger and thumb together.

I thought it was really just a Stereotypical pose as it wasn't mentioned in AYP DM, but I had a strange compulsion that it should be followed, but because it wasn't mentioned it seemed like it would be incorrect.

The sensation in my hand has become more distracting, which is why I posted. Seems it was meant to be.

I should mention that I do not use the cross leg heel pose as I have circulation problems, so I just have legs straight out in front. It occurred to me that someone bereft of legs would be unable to attain that position and I couldn't imagine that it would exclude them from practices, so it should be fine for me. AYP seems to be quite liberal in that respect.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  04:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I should mention that I do not use the cross leg heel pose as I have circulation problems, so I just have legs straight out in front.

I was wondering if it would be easy or comfortable to have a sitting position with erect spine, while having legs straight out in front. Have you already considered the option of sitting on a chair instead?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it's comfortable. I did use the heel position for a few months but it sapped concentration. Somehow a chair just doesn't feel right. I have meditated on planes........ha ha the mile high meditation club.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000