New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  05:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David

quote:
I don't understand.......why are the labels so important?

So that people know what they are talking about. So that when they use the same words they are not meaning different things and talking at cross-purposes.

quote:
You aren't necessarily missing something if you just don't find it interesting. Maybe this conversation is just not for you.

Thanks, David
I am still laughing at myself

I love it when things are simplified this way. It is so obvious then!

You are a breath of fresh air, David - thanks for clearing that up for me

May all your Nows be Here
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  07:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I don't have as many decades left as I used to have for fumbling around. That's why I'm here and AYP is my practice.

Love it Ranger. Thanks for summing it up in one simple sentence.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  3:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kumar said:
All yoga schools,as you call them, borrowed techniques from kriya yoga.Yes, people label their yoga as kriya yoga for marketing purposes without knowing full aspects of kriya yoga.people have distorted kriya yoga since the times of paramhansa yoganada

Kumar, the marketing did not start only after Parahamsa Yogananda's death.

Here's a story:
At a certain point, a bunch of Yogis started trying to give an 'exclusive' kick to their teachings. So they mythologized it. They called it 'XYZ yoga'. They presented it as 'the original yoga', and cultivated the notion that all others forms of yoga are derivative or even distortions of this pure knowledge.

How ofen has this happened? In other words how often has this 'story' I mentioned become history? My guess is 'thousands of times'. For 'XYZ yoga', substitute in any number of spiritual practices and systems throughout history. I've seen it being done in the last century by a number of organizations coming from India.

Ever wonder how come so many different organizations have the One Original and Authentic Answer that leaves the others in the dust? Well, it is great fun for the school.... It's very appealing for the ordinary folks. It's exciting in a 'magical' way. But it has it's dark side, unfortunately. It tends to produce sectarian results: "We have it, you don't" or, "To the extent to which you have it, you borrowed it from us", or alternatively, "We're entitled to teach this, you aren't".

The truth is that Advanced Yoga knowledge has been indigenous in India for thousands of years, and in Tibet and other places, at least for many centuries, but at any time, it was only known well by a relatively small number of people. These people were not organized into any sect or group, and were not unified by any trademark or label for their practice.

What these people had in common is that they were Strong Yogis, that's all. Those are the people to whom we owe the development and preservation of Yoga. Thousands of often individually unremembered figures, spanning many diverse groups over a long period of time. Those are the 'Authentic Yogis', and they have never belonged to a single group with a label, or taught practices unified by some exclusive label.

Here at AYP we are priveleged to see the fruit of their work, compiled here for all to see for free.

Regards,

-David

Edited by - david_obsidian on Apr 26 2006 5:51:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

paw

52 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit paw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I have a question about this topic, a point of clarification. In this quote from the Gita, is Krishna referring to spinal breathing? or some other technique? Thanks.

"offering inhaling breath into outgoing breath and outgoing breath into inhaling breath,the yogi neutralizes both these breaths,he thus releases the life force from the heart and bring it under his control".Thus the yogi arrests decay of his body by an addition of life force and arrests mutations of growth in the body by apan(eliminating current).Thus nutralizing decay and growth by quieting the heart,the yogi learns life control"
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  01:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paw. How's Ma?

Yes, in the Kriya Yoga I practice that is the merging of breath practiced while performing kundalini pranayama. Others here will have to fill you in on the A.Y.P. method and whether or not that is employed. Or you may find it in the lessons.

Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  3:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by satinder kumar

In his 'autobiography of a yogi' paramhansa yoganand called kriya yoga airplane route to God realization.There is some mystery surrounded around kriya yoga that doesn't allow someone to know about it.Gurus of this line of yoga don't impart this technique unless someone has taken proper initiation and are not allowed to make it public.My question is..,is someone familiar with kriya yoga and how many yoga techniques AYP has borrowed from kriya yoga?

i'm not sure if AYP has borrowed any techniques from KY. here are some techniques used in KY from various gurus flowing down from Lahiri Mahasaya initiated in 1861 by Avatar babaji of Nagaraj. i must say that Lahiri Mahasaya initiated many with different techniques according to their uniqueness(dosha,karma,desire,mentality,physical ability,etc.). Lahiri Mahasaya also told them to not compare what techniques they have. although their are some KY-techs common among the sadhakas. with that being said,here are some KY-techs/mudras:

1. mahamudra
2. yoni(jyoti) mudra
3. navi(nabhi) kriya
4. khechari mudra(talabya/talavya kriya)
5. kriya proper
6. thokar kriya
7. omkar kriya
8. sambhavi mudra
9. bhramari kumbhaka
10. japa(mantra) kriya
11. mulabandha
12. siddhasana
13. mulavandha mudra(mulabanha w/perineum heel pressure)

hope this list helps.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blackmuladar,

I know that AYP incorporates no.s 1, 2, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 from that list. It also includes kriya proper (no 5) without the visualization of chakras no.' 2, 3, 4 and 5. It may include more kriya yoga techniques, I don't know. Yogani seems to have left out Thokar kriya, Navi Kriya, and Omkar kriya, presumably because he feels they don't add anything to the overall practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi see here for what yogani says about navi kria
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi and Blackmuladar:

Chin pump (dynamic jalandhara) is similar to thokar, navi kriya is covered in AYP lesson 275, and we use deep meditation after spinal breathing pranayama (similar to "kriya proper") instead of omkar. Omkar is OM nada (listening for OM). In AYP we do not use that due to it's on-again off-again nature. OM does occur in AYP practitioners, as many have experienced. We regard it to be primarily effect from our practices rather than cause, and favor our practices instead. Then we get more ecstatic OM as effect!

OM is the vibration of ecstatic conductivity and radiance rising in our nervous system, giving way over time to merging with inner silence, and becoming outpouring divine love -- stillness in action.

AYP is not kriya yoga, but does use some similar methods, plus other techniques in ways not occurring in kriya yoga which produce more effects in less time, with prudent self-pacing of course.

No long sittings in AYP -- lots more time to go out into daily life and play in our inner silence and ecstatic bliss.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000