Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Restless Mind or Restless Body--one or the other?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  03:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For about five years now--ever since I started experiencing signs of kundalini, really--I've been noticing a lot of what you might call "automatic yoga" during my deep meditation sessions. Usually it takes the form of my head turning from side to side. Sometimes I roll my neck in circles or move my whole spine in a kind of undulation. Occasionally there are arm movements as well, usually taking the form of extending my arms and sort of waving my fingers or something of the kind.

I just chalked this stuff up to "energy movements" and have even thought of it as a good thing at times--i.e. a sign that something's going on. But over this long period of experiencing "automatic yoga" I've noticed a few things that cause a bit of concern. First of all, I notice that the more I let go of extraneous thoughts or points of concentration, the more the automatic yoga tends to get going. In particular, I think my throat area where speech, and to a certain extent, breathing are regulated, has long been one of my energetic sticking points--so when I let go of concentration on the breath or relax my throat area (feels like it's associated with a letting go of internal dialogues), that's when it really starts to get going.

Another thing I noticed--I realize that whenever I concentrate hard on something, whether on a mantra or on some task, like reading a complex essay or thinking of an idea for my writing, this tends to create a corresponding restlessness in my body. One common reaction is I'll jump out of my chair and start pacing up and down even as I continue to read my book or compose my sentences. If I don't do this then some other nervous movement invariably starts up--I shake my leg, tap my foot, start beating out a rhythm with my hand on the table or whatever.

Now as I think more closely about it. It seems that exactly the same impulse is at work as when I try to concentrate on the mantra in DM. It feels rather like, as soon as I quiet my mind and make it focus on just one thing, the restless energy moves right into my body and causes these random movements.

As I mentioned, I originally thought of the "automatic yoga" as possibly a good sign of energy movement or at least not a negative thing to be actively squelched, but now I wonder if I'm not just allowing my restlessness and inability to concentrate to manifest in a different way. It feels rather like trying to deflate a balloon with your foot and when you step on one end the other end just gets bigger.

Any similar experiences or tips on how I can make both my mind and body calm down and engage in DM more fully? I feel like I'm not getting much of the "deep" part of DM, since my body and mind never seem to relax and concentrate in tandem. Thanks. :)

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  03:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Practising Pranayama can help quiet the mind. If it is the whole body that is restless then grounding by gentle exercise often helps. You should also be aware that it could be overloading so should self pace. There are lessons on each of these from Yogani on the forum.

I often find that if movement in bed I intense that something needs attending to, usually a emotion or thought which has not been adequately dealt with.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  04:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo
Usually it takes the form of my head turning from side to side. Sometimes I roll my neck in circles or move my whole spine in a kind of undulation. Occasionally there are arm movements as well, usually taking the form of extending my arms and sort of waving my fingers or something of the kind.

How long do you stay in DM before these movements begin?

If they begin too early, it means the energy is grounding and does not wish to progress. There are blocks that need to be cleared first.

You should get your energy checked and balanced/synced by a Reiki master or a Yoga guru. Sometimes receiving a simple blessing does the trick. Ever had AYP Global healing samyama?

Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  08:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello tamasaburo,

I'm experiencing similar movements of my neck when I just relax my throat and put a bit attention there. So basically if I allow it, it happens all the time. Some gentle force inside me rotating it. There are times as well it actually doesn't happen when same gentle force just keep my neck straight. And those are the times I actually feel good around my neck area and don't get shortness of breath, muscle contractions or even coughing. So I think this movement happens as a side effect of a blockage or whatever it is. So I'm not sure if the movement itself is trying to fix the blockage or the blockage itself causing it to have movement and nothing to do with fixing it. Anyway, I found out that Chin Pump, slow tempo jogging with throat muscle relaxed and Acupuncture helps:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000