Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Help! Overdid spinal breathing & chandrabhedi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Geekyworld

India
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  01:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I did something very-very stupid three days ago & am in a very bad way because of it.

In the past I've tried doing many kinds of pranayamas like nadi-shodhan, kapalbhati, bhastrika etc. without any good result to speak of. I was beginning to lose faith in Yoga when I discovered spinal breathing. I did 15 rounds morning & evening for some weeks with very good results.

Spinal breathing was working out very well for me so I decided to increase the duration. I did it for the best part of 25 minutes!

After some time my whole body began to feel feverish. I was clueless about what to do. In my panic I decided to do chandrabhedi pranayama to try & cool down the system. I pressed my right nostril with my right thumb & breathed in & out only from my left nostril for about 20 minutes.

The results of this exercise were very disastrous. For the last three days I've had all the classic symptoms of flue like, headache, watery nose & eyes, inability to think clearly, unable to work, no stamina, aching body etc.

I would be very grateful if any of you can tell me what to do to get out of this mess.

Thank you very much.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  08:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Geekyworld,
Sorry about what is going on now. It will pass. Just make sure you don't do any pranayama till everything clams down and then you can add 5 min of spinal breathing back.

You sure you dont have the flu? If you think you have the flu please do rest. That is what will help the most.

If however you are sure you dont have the flu and it is a result of excess energy, then the best thing for now is to ground. If you have flu like symptom you may not feel like doing exercises, but as far as possible, try to move, get the energy to ground. Walk, exercise, go out and do things that will take you mind off this energy. The more you focus on the energy the longer it will stay. Eat heavier foods. Here is the FAQ on grounding http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2165

Also, in AYP, we don't do only Spinal breathing... we do spinal breathing along with deep meditation. They compliment each other and help balance our practices. So not sure if now is a good idea to add deep meditation, but you can try 10 min of meditation http://www.aypsite.org/13.html and see if it helps calm the energy. If you feel uncomfortable though, back off and rest for 10-15 min and then get up.

Later, when things have calmed down, please do add meditation to your routine along with spinal breathing.

Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  12:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try spending lots of time outdoors too! I understand what youre going through and just going outside and being active in nature seemed to calm the energy very fast. Hope it passes soon.
Go to Top of Page

Geekyworld

India
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  10:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti & faileforever, thanks a lot for your valuable comments.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000