Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Correct way to do Spinal Breathing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  11:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I have been doing 10mins Spinal Breathing Pranayama followed by 20mins Deep Meditation twice daily for nearly 2 years now. I am one of those people ho doesn't get much happening during my sessions, apart from maybe a little relaxation - definitely no crazy energy sensations or scenery of any kind.

Although Yogani mentions so many times that we shouldn't be concerned whether we have energy sensations or scenery or not, because it is the practice which gives results, I still often wonder if I am not doing something right - particularly with Spinal Breathing.

Over the last few Pranayama sessions, I have attempted to flex my PC muscles a little more than normal and draw them up - normally I would only very lightly do this, and it would be more an intention as Yogani has mentioned as opposed to physical. It seems that as I do this, an involuntary and VERY noticeable fluttering of these muscles occurs which is quite distracting while I am tracing the nerve up and down. I also find it harder to expand my stomach outwards on inhalation while flexing the PC muscles.

My question is, should I be applying this pressure to the PC muscles during Spinal Breathing in order to stimulate prana at the base a bit more, and is the fluttering a sign that I am doing it more correctly than not noticing anything during SBP?

Any suggestions will be most appreciated!

Kind regards

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  04:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The pc muscles shouldn't be contracted firmly but rather gently lifted to resist downward pressure from the contained breath. I would also not try to expand the abdomen during the inhale or retention, but expand the ribs instead. In the case of the abdomen, as well as perimeum, the softness of the tissue can yield to pressure if the breath is held, and thats why the bandhas are there to resist this pressure, and keep the pressure contained more internally. Both of these bandhas are really for use during retention of breath. I would allow the inhalation to come passively and receptively and then use the bandhas as the breath is retained (if you choose to retain it)
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah dont flex hard. The way you are doing earlier (just an intention) works fine

If you have the interest to do more or make progress then try these

- First you can add Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka between Pranayama and Meditation
- After this read the lesson on Chin Pump or Dynamic Jalandhara and add it
- After the above two, using good self-pacing add Spinal Bastrika Pranayama

All of those AYP practices help in bringing up the energy

- Near
Go to Top of Page

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  10:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great, thankyou both for your help.

I might give the Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka a try and see if that gets things moving a little (but hopefully not too much though!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000