New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1229 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  02:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear all,

I thought I would drop a line here.

Whatever joy I was finding in January is long gone. For months now, I have been going through what is best expressed as "I don't give a f**k". No love, no compassion. The whole Covid19 crisis and not one single tear of empathy. I feel and see little difference personality-wise now than when I started all this. All my 'bad' habits are alive and rampant.

Work holds no interest. Luckily I am "working" from home.

I could sit and watch the light play on the flowers in my garden from sunrise to sunset; the butterflies that flit from flower to flower.

I feel the need to withdraw from society keenly these days.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  12:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, Nice to see your post. Sorry to hear you are in a bit of f funk lately. I hope things turn around soon for all of us with this frustrating virus and that you find your joy again.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  7:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I could sit and watch the light play on the flowers in my garden from sunrise to sunset; the butterflies that flit from flower to flower.

In doing so, you too are a butterfly, how lovely and worthy the moment is.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
723 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the shore became a distant view
like bird in the clear blue sky
once it appeared then it was gone
did the bird really appear

all thoughts and named things
are like the morning dew or dreams
evaporating once the mornings here
contemplate them in this way

freedom to decide my fate or which cross to bear
self denial or annihilation are habits hard to die
compassion and wisdom step hand in hand
but grasp in mid air and are afraid to touch

weary of the same old sun step into the shade
there are no shadows without the light
its not easy being the one like you
born maintained and finally transformed into dust

ready again to be blown by the wind
settling by the shore and becoming the view
in the bluest sky flown in by the rarest bird
contemplate all dharmas in this way
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1229 Posts

Posted - May 13 2020 :  01:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

That's beautiful Kumar

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
625 Posts

Posted - May 14 2020 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This dewdrop world-
this dewdrop world,
and yet, and yet...
Kobayashi Issa
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1229 Posts

Posted - May 16 2020 :  06:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly....

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1229 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  06:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have come across the Catholic Christian stages of spiritual progression.

[https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm - Extracts from the New Advent website - The Catholic Encyclopedia]

They are:
The Purgative Stage: The Purgative Stage can be summarized as where the sudden in-dwelling of the holy spirit enables you to turn from a sinful life to God.
“The first duty which is incumbent on man is to give up sin and resist concupiscence, which are opposed to charity; this belongs to beginners, in whose hearts charity is to be nursed and cherished lest it be corrupted...
The characteristic virtue of this state is humility, by which the soul is made sensible of its own weakness and its dependence upon the succours of the grace of God.”
The purgative way may be said to end in the purity of the soul. The purgative ways rely not only on avoidance of sins but also a lot on the practice of charity.

The illuminative stage:
Then there is the illuminative stage where the believer receives all manner of divine revelations.
“The second duty of man is to apply his energies chiefly to advance in virtue; this belongs to those who are making progress and who are principally concerned that charity may be increased and strengthened in them.”
“The fundamental virtue of this state is recollection, that is, a constant attention of the mind and of the affections of the heart to thoughts and sentiments which elevate the soul to God — exterior recollection which consists in the love of silence and retirement, interior recollection in simplicity of spirit and a right intention, as well as attention to God in all our actions. This does not mean that a person has to neglect the duties of his state or position in life, nor does it imply that honest and needful recreation should be avoided, because these lawful or necessary circumstances or occupations can well be reconciled with perfect recollection and the most holy union with God.”

The Unitive Stage:
And finally, the Unitive State where the believer experiences deification or union with Christ.
“The unitive way is the way of those who are in the state of the perfect, that is, those who have their minds so drawn away from all temporal things that they enjoy great peace, who are neither agitated by various desires nor moved by any great extent by passion, and who have their minds chiefly fixed on God and their attention turned, either always or very frequently, to Him...
Union with God is the principal study and endeavor of this state.”

Spiritual phases of consolation and desolation

Consolation and desolation may be said to be phases of the various stages or states of the spiritual life, rather than distinct states to themselves. The character of permanence does not usually belong to them. They succeed each other, as a rule, and devout souls have to experience both the one and the other, but as they may have sometimes a long period of consolation or desolation the term states may be used in a wide sense when treating of them. Speaking in a general sense, the sense of consolation is that in which the soul enjoys a spiritual sense or impression of close union and intimate converse with God. The state of desolation, on the contrary, is that in which the soul feels itself as it were abandoned by God. Consolation and desolation may be more easily understood when considered in opposition to each other."

..It would be a great mistake to imagine that spiritual desolation arrests progress in virtue or enfeebles the spirit of fervour. On the contrary, it affords occasion of heroic virtue and of absolute detachment from sensible pleasure, whether natural or supernatural. At the same time we may hope and wish that these interior griefs may be diminished or made to disappear, and we may pray God to deliver us from them, but if all our efforts are in vain, and God permits the desolation to continue, it only remains to resign ourselves generously to His Divine Will...
The three states or ways are not so entirely distinct that there may not appear in any one of them something of the other two...

Why am I pointing all this out? Putting aside the harsh Christian language of 'sin and evil' - it covers well what I have been going through in a way that AYP does not talk about. Consolation where life is flows and is filled with daily little miracles, where you feel you are God's special child and at the other end, phases of desolation where nothing goes right, no 'progress' is apparent or we even feel we are regressing but in truth it's just another phase and patience is required. And sometimes both happening at once. It is very hard to put into words my lament. I have tried a couple of times in this thread but failed to properly express my feelings.

I have a sense that it is now swinging again towards consolation for the past couple of days.

I am hoping this contribution assist others should they go through these feelings and become confused.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Join the Mail List:
News and Events
Near You

AYP PLUS PREVIEW

Direct Downloads

eBooks - PDF, EPUB
and MOBI-KINDLE

FREE eBooks with
MP3 AudioBooks

SAVE  with Bundled
Multi-Title Downloads

Preview
AYP Books

(PDF Books Flyer)

Easy Lessons

Advanced Yoga Practices Book

Spiritual
Adventure Novel

The Secrets of Wilder Novel

Enlightenment Series

Deep Meditation Book

Spinal Breathing Pranayama Book

Tantra Book

Asanas, Mudras & Bandhas Book

Samyama Book

Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli Book

Self-Inquiry Book

Bhakti and Karma Yoga Book

Eight Limbs of Yoga Book

Eight Limbs of Yoga Book

Questions & Answers

Public Home | Plus Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | Topic Paths | Interviews | Videos | Site Search | Links Section | Testimonials | AYP Survey | Books | Downloads | Contact