Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AYPmod

31 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  01:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Posted by dancer303

I can only speak for myself and go with my guts. I don't trust Jaggi Vasudev.

He is not a guru for me. The yoga practices he teaches are not of his origin as he always claims. For instance, Shambhavi Mahamudra, is just a compilation of several known yoga practices (hatha-yoga and pranayama technics) which can be found in, for example, Bihar Yoga School books. But he always praises the kriyas and practices as a big secret in order to sell Isha course better.

If you would have ever visited a sathsang of his organization "Isha" you would know, that more than 30 % of sathsang's time is wasted for promotion for several Isha-courses. Also he claims that you may not learn yoga especially, kriya yoga, from books or on yourself, you have to learn exclusively from Isha otherwise, he pretends, yourself would be harmed very much. Also he and his volunteers pretend if you reveal any Isha practices to uninitiated you would harm them and yourself very much.

My opinion is clear in that matter. A realized and enlightened guru would not act this way. Would Buddha or Jesus sell his teachings? I don't think so.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  06:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AYPmod

Posted by dancer303

I can only speak for myself and go with my guts. I don't trust Jaggi Vasudev.

He is not a guru for me. The yoga practices he teaches are not of his origin as he always claims. For instance, Shambhavi Mahamudra, is just a compilation of several known yoga practices (hatha-yoga and pranayama technics) which can be found in, for example, Bihar Yoga School books. But he always praises the kriyas and practices as a big secret in order to sell Isha course better.

If you would have ever visited a sathsang of his organization "Isha" you would know, that more than 30 % of sathsang's time is wasted for promotion for several Isha-courses. Also he claims that you may not learn yoga especially, kriya yoga, from books or on yourself, you have to learn exclusively from Isha otherwise, he pretends, yourself would be harmed very much. Also he and his volunteers pretend if you reveal any Isha practices to uninitiated you would harm them and yourself very much.

My opinion is clear in that matter. A realized and enlightened guru would not act this way. Would Buddha or Jesus sell his teachings? I don't think so.

Hi dance303,

I feel compelled to respond to your post as I felt your criticisms to not be pertinent.

About the secrecy:
Everything needs to be understood in context. From a historical perspective, these practices used to be secret. Yogani also refers to the historical secret aspect of practices. Sadhguru is an Indian teacher. Indian culture has a lot of respect for tradition and history.
It's only in modern times with the rise of technology that information is being shared so abundantly and hardly anything is secret anymore nowadays. That doesn't make the statement of the historical context of practices invalid.

Regarding the promotion:
I was at the ashram a few years ago and attended a satsang with Sadhguru himself. There was 0 per cent of time wasted on promotion.
Even if there were more promotions nowadays, there is nothing "unspiritual" or "unenelightened" about sharing a message that supports people's spiritual growth and using the modern day approach as an effective tool for doing so.

Buddha and Jesus lived in a time where there was no modern marketing, so obviously there is no way to say what they would do today if they were here. Probably they would do whatever is helping promote their message and if that can be done more efficiently than by walking and speaking, I don't see why they would not use the technology available.

This platform also relies on technology to spread the word.
Selling practices to those who can afford it serves two goals amongst others:
1. Many people want to learn in a context of comfort, this comfort has a price. Why would Isha only teach practices in a jungle free of cost if he can share practices with more people by teaching them in a modern context?
2. Isha has countless projects, such as reforestation. These are sponsored by the selling of valuable, ethical and environmentally friendly products, many of which support the local Indian community.

Note that Sadhguru is visiting villages across India and teaching for free to those who cannot afford his programs. The more expensive products are sold to those who can afford it and need to receive teachings in a modern way.

There is an analogy also with AYP again. AYP has both a free platform like this one and a paid platform (AYP Plus). Which makes perfect sense as offering this platform is not free of cost and it is only fair that those who benefit from it and can afford it, contribute. If you wish to attend an AYP retreat, you will also contribute to the cost of organizing it.

If we are to discredit teachers for not sharing free of cost in this modern time, there won't be many teachers left. It will only diminish the supply of teachings and that would be a pity. Our planet is in a process of raising its vibration and there is a larger need for spiritual teachers than ever.
Even AYP has a membership fee now for those wishing more support. Sharing has a cost. Isha has countless projects of reforestation etc. These projects benefit the world at large. Again, poor people in India are given time and practices for free. And even more affluent people still receive plenty for free through social media.

On the secrecy:
The last point on secrecy also needs to be understood in context. Secrecy has been the norm for most of history of the existence of spiritual practices. Jesus and many others sacrificed their life for being open. Yogani talks about this in one of the lessons.

Isha indeed discourages sharing practices if one has not received training in the methods. It is not an open system like AYP. I don't see that as a valid argument for undermining a teacher.
There is a certain cautiousness with sharing some practices and I believe it makes sense in the context of teaching that Isha is operating in. It is getting very well known and then could be misused easily. In this context cautiousness seems recommended. The control also has benefits in that resources can be allocated for global goals such as reforestation.

yogani has been very wise and unique in addressing the cautiousness aspect: AYP has caution inbuilt in the self pacing approach which is emphasized throughout and in sharing everything on a public platform. AYP is pretty unique in this.

Hope that helps you understand the some of the operatings and appreciate the innumerous sharings by a very wise and valuable spiritual teacher that our planet is blessed to have in its midst.

There is much more to this than written here. Bringing spirituality in daily life entails an active involvement in the world on all fronts, to the extent one has a capacity to do so.
Old souls such as Sadhguru and Amma are a blessing for our planet with a transformative uplifting power beyond your wildest imagination.

Edited by - Omsat on Jan 17 2019 06:31:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Join the Mail List:
News and Events
Near You

AYP PLUS PREVIEW

Direct Downloads

eBooks - PDF, EPUB
and MOBI-KINDLE

FREE eBooks with
MP3 AudioBooks

SAVE  with Bundled
Multi-Title Downloads

Preview
AYP Books

(PDF Books Flyer)

Easy Lessons

Advanced Yoga Practices Book

Spiritual
Adventure Novel

The Secrets of Wilder Novel

Enlightenment Series

Deep Meditation Book

Spinal Breathing Pranayama Book

Tantra Book

Asanas, Mudras & Bandhas Book

Samyama Book

Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli Book

Self-Inquiry Book

Bhakti and Karma Yoga Book

Eight Limbs of Yoga Book

Eight Limbs of Yoga Book

Questions & Answers

Public Home | Plus Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | Topic Paths | Interviews | Videos | Site Search | Links Section | Testimonials | AYP Survey | Books | Downloads | Contact