Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Excessive, spontaneous occurence of tears
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hyperion

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  10:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I was wondering if somebody could offer some advice.

My spiritual practice started back in February 2009. I made a move to the USA from the UK in August 2009 and spend a lot of time on my own in a new country. In September 2009 I experienced my first wave of, I don't know how to describe it so I'll just call it this, energy. This energy resulted in me suddenly gasping as if waking up from a nightmare and tears flooding out of my eyes.

The floods of tears never last that long. I allowed them and really felt them. This has happened about six times now, all in different situations. Each time it starts the same way, that "nightmare" gasp and then the tears.

I started meditating in August 2010. First I did just the deep meditation for 20 minutes, then about a month later I added the spinal breathing pranayama for 5 minutes prior to the deep meditation. I meditate once per day, immediately after I awake.

Since starting the meditation, the tears have become more intense. So much so that I was in a bar last weekend and something triggered it to happen. I spontaneously started having floods of tears, yet I felt quite happy and was not "crying" in the traditional sense. In fact, this was the most intense it has ever been, lasting about 50 minutes in total in total from the bar, the car journey home and sitting outside my apartment among all the trees and plants (where it reached maximum intensity).

I have searched the boards to understand what this is, or what could be causing it, and I do not know.

I am a little concerned as, to the person that does not practice spiritual matters (or maybe to that person too), it looks strange. It was quite embarrassing when it happened in public.

Does anybody have any ideas about what could be happening and/or how I should proceed from here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  03:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear hyperion
i also experience sudden tears...for more than one year now...but as you said " I felt quite happy and was not "crying" in the traditional sense"

sometimes it happens in public space...it happens to me whem i am at office...but i am not embarrassed about that at all...i just whip my tears and continue...work collegues and people in general dont notice ...

what is happening is emotional cleaning ...heart opening...it is very good to get rid of that "dirt"

u dont have to do anything about it...just let it be....let it all come out...dont worry

all the best
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also get this reaction, it is so cleansing. It does sometimes happen in public, a couple of times at Guild meetings (which are definitely not spiritual)and while I get a funny look now and then I simply say that sometimes I think of God and the others not only accept this, they have become supportive. This has led me to the belief that many people wish they could cry like this, for joy, for sadness, for the pure cleansing act that it is, they just do not know how. It feels good to cry, it cleanses my spirit, it brings me closer to Truth and so I surrender to it and let it go, let all of it go.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is purification and what Yogani calls "scenery" along the path. There are so many variations with different people. I get a truly crying feeling, usually from thought of a helpless being struggling, but often for no reason at all, no thought at all. fortunately I have learned to recognize it coming on, and am able to stop it when I'm in a meeting. never have experienced it for very long though.
But with all scenery, there is nothing to do but watch.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very well said etherfish...."for no reason at all, no thought at all."
and wooddragon so true lots of people dont know how to cry.....some repress the crying thinking wrongly that it is a sign of weakness....so this repressed crying usually reflects in the form of physical sickness.....let it all come....welcome..welcome..bring it on...tell the tears:my dear children what do u want? tell your story:))

Edited by - maheswari on Apr 20 2011 09:31:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

hyperion

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  03:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses. I was not sure whether it was "scenery" as Yogani described it. I did feel that it was a purifying process. As a result, I was a little scared. After reading your posts, I am not any more.

I was going to stop the spinal breathing and just perform the deep meditation to see if the crying eased off. However, if it is a good sign, perhaps doing that would be a step back?

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its time to turn your tears of water into tears of fire!

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  07:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hyperion

However, if it is a good sign, perhaps doing that would be a step back?

It's not a step back. It is like lifting weights. You can see the results, you can feel the difference, and good things are happening. But if your muscles are sore or strained and you continue lifting weights the exact same way as you always have, then you may hurt yourself. So you self pace, do a lighter routine till you feel the muscles have healed, and then go back to your regular routine. The soreness is a good sign, and yet not stepping back till the muscles are healed is not a smart move. Does this make sense?
Go to Top of Page

hyperion

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti

That does absolutely make sense. It is probably wise to scale back the spinal breathing until the tears subside or get less. I remember the spontaneous tears also came when I saw the beauty of the rain drops on the tree outside my apartment only a couple of weeks prior to my last experience a week and a half ago. I am going to stop the spinal breathing for two months and see if there is a recurrence. If there is not, I'll slowly bring it back into my practice.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  8:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you learn to stop it at will, then it doesn't matter how often it happens, right? It's been happening to me for years, and also anger and other emotions, and I just stop them when inappropriate, which is rare. Not sure how i do it, seems like shifting my consciousness higher in my head or something. Try experimenting with this.
I take it all as a good thing in general, just sometimes not good timing.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i cry when simetimes something is so beautiful...or when i feel an overwhelming connection or attraction to the Self
it is always very positive thing
Go to Top of Page

taopol

France
5 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tears happen to me all the time too. During the divine Liturgy, while listening to beautiful music or watching a film, during prayer or meditation. Not very "manly" for sure, but it feels good, and who cares what anybody can think about it. Repressing emotions is not a good idea !
Paul
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  02:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
during last night sitthing and this morning...tears came back...as if they disappear for long time lolllz...but today i felt like sharing....
i remembered this song... the lyrics remember me of ....kundalini

www.soundtracklyrics.net/son...-she-goes.htm

Edited by - maheswari on Jul 27 2011 02:27:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oooops it seems the link onl provides the lyrics...here is another link where u find the track being sung
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
www.last.fm/music/The+La's/_/There+She+Goes
Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice song!

I have experienced tears and crying like hyperion described. I've felt like I was being reunited with a long lost part of myself, and the tears are because I missed that part so very much. It's like finding a loved one that you have longed for.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
. It's like finding a loved one that you have longed for.

that is it! ...so true...i did not know how to express it...txs dear
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  2:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
today was doing hatha yoga..was completely thoughtless and focused during the session...then when i reached Pashimottanasana a thought came out .."it is Him that i miss"... tears started to roll down on my checks for a minute...
then continued the class...
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
crying is awesome.

i am learning to cry again, it is powerful healing, one day it will be like laughing yoga only you cry :)

i was praying the anabecho'ach prayer the other day and i just burst into tears, everytime i went back to the prayer i just broke down again, i didn't even understand the words of the prayer.

i guess it's the deep longing for God that makes us cry sometimes.

i'm almost in tears now just thinking about it.

bhakti baby :D

Joe

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  12:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The weeping song by Nick Cave and the Bad seeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqhOVY58zIo

nice lyrics too
http://www.mp3lyrics.org/n/nick-cav...the-weeping/
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  02:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i was talking to Swami Vimalananda,current president of the Sivananda Divine Life Society in rishikesh/india...at the end of the email He said to me:God bless you...
usually i am not into those kind of sentimental sentences....but this time i felt it was so genuinely said ...that i started to cry ....not for long few minutes....my usual time dose of crying
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2020 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Additionally to this topic I want to share my experience, I call this occurence the crylaugh.

It has occured several times now during the past month, mostly out of nothing at all just my stomach cramping and I have these emotional spasms. Spasms which seems to be the same as when I laugh. I feel like the Joker because I laugh with a sense of crying or cry with a sense of laughing and it is ALWAYS accompanied with a sense of seeing how beautiful nature is. Certainly tears I wouldn’t believe I would have before AYP.

As some fellas mentioned above, this crylaugh also seems to be involved with a feeling of an innocent helpless...perhaps a shadow of past me.. Yes, it also end up filling me with relief and Bhakti.

This topic is awesome!!! Reading through and sharing this with someone, great. Next up, evening practices.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000