Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Moolabandha and Constipation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  10:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Something else I notice is that I get very constipated after doing siddhasana and moolabandha.

I have been away from my practice for a while, for various reasons, and since restarting I have noticed that my bowel movements, which normally are smooth and without issue, now have become very dry and difficult to pass.

The only modification I have done in my daily routine is that I have restarted my practice.

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YC,
Assuming other influences unchanged (food, water, breathing, regular habits etc.), you might need a higher cushion then, or two thin ones, in order to keep the lower spine more vertical, preventing it from arching a little forward (I've noticed that such an arch tends to disturb digestion; leaning forward is nonetheless a very common mistake in most meditation postures in classes, ashrams or meditation centers).
In Tantra, you might also use the three locks (mahabandha) when approaching the 'edge', to create a sensation of vacuum in the belly which pulls your kundalini and your body fluids up to the anahatha area instead; this sensation too is stronger without the arching (it's the same body, on the mat as off the mat ).

Vajrasana (buttocks on heels) is a good meditation posture to enhance digestion whenever there's food inside, partly because it's easy to elongate and straighten the spine to make room for the digestive organs, partly because of the angle of the upper legs.
Best of luck !
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  6:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ycloutier,

quote:
Hi,

Something else I notice is that I get very constipated after doing siddhasana and moolabandha.

I have been away from my practice for a while, for various reasons, and since restarting I have noticed that my bowel movements, which normally are smooth and without issue, now have become very dry and difficult to pass.

The only modification I have done in my daily routine is that I have restarted my practice.

I also experienced the same effect from those practices. Essentially the practices are designed to create an upward flow of energy through the body and this can affect the process of digestion which relies on a downward flow. One simple way to solve the whole problem (at the lower end anyway) is to use colonic irrigation, or basti in Sanskrit. It is covered in this lesson:

http://www.aypsite.org/315.html

There was a time when I needed to use this practice daily to overcome the effects of the upward flow of spiritual energy caused by the spiritual practices I was doing.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  6:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You could be gripping the anal sphincter in mulabadha excessively. try relaxing that area more and see if it helps.
Go to Top of Page

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How strong should mulabandha be? Just a gentle tug, or a stronger forcefull contraction? How many PSI
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
definitely not a strong forceful contraction. More a gentle direction of lift
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  2:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ycloutier2000

How strong should mulabandha be? Just a gentle tug, or a stronger forcefull contraction? How many PSI

In learning: you can use strong full bandhas (a.k.a. 'therapeutical') to train the muscles and the control.
Then, when applied during asanas or lovemaking: much softer, 'just enough strong' to activate (sligtly more than 'felt-only' or visualized) to be able to sustain them for an hour or more. It's also useful to train the ability to activate small areas selectively, so moola bandha affects just the mooladhara area, contracting the perineal muscle; the sphincter Victor mentioned is a separate exercise (Ashwini Mudra) although there are a couple of yoga schools where these two are intermixed.
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2021 :  12:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI,
I am continuing AYP practises daily and my current practise is twice a day:15min asanas, 10 min SPB and 20 min DM. I meditate on a cushion about 12 cm height with burmese position. I used to have slouched position when meditating, but about 5 weeks ago I just could not continue with this posture and my body just straighten up in a vertical posiition ( result of continous body stretching and energy flow). Although this posiiton makes me a little bit tense to keep it, it is much more natural than slouched version. Approximately at the same time I observed couple side effects which probaly are connected with this transition ( but I cannot be sure this is the reason)SInce about 5 weeks I got very constipate.I have never had any constipation in my life and now for 5 week it is constant.Addtionally I feel very cold ( although it is quite warm weather ) and very tired. I am using macrogol and fiber husk but it does not help me too much.I already have bought enema (basti) kit but did not use it yet. So I have couple of question maybe you can help me? IS there something I should do about position or maybe about moolabandha or energy flow which probably causing this? I don't want to slower practises but I am also a little bit hesitant to enemas, because of safety reasons so please let me know what safety measures should be done when using enema very often. How often is it safe to do this in a long term and should one take suppliements like probiotics and electrolites, because I don't know if it is ok to supply them for a long time or maybe these are not so necessary? I was looking for information in the internet but I couldn't find any direct instruction actually by practioners who use enemas for a long time. I also have to mention that I am now between vaccine injections so I don't want to make experiments that could probably influance my system additionaly- that is why I did not start enemas yet. I appreciate any tips.

Edited by - JJJ on Jun 05 2021 01:27:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2021 :  01:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
JJJ

Christi has linked lesson 315 above. That will give you Yogani’s advice. You certainly should talk to your medical practitioner and review your diet. I have done both the bulb syringe and the hanging bag, neither is too traumatic, undignified, for sure. Enemas are always a good place to start.

So far as mulabandha, my advice is the same as with using a yoga strap, or touching your toes: lighter is always better. Once you surrender that gripping instinct, your life suddenly comes easier.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2021 :  07:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ,

Basti is a process of simply allowing water to enter your colon under the pressure of gravity, and then letting it out again. This is done a number of times in a row, like 3,4, or 5. When you are finished your colon will be empty. It can be done frequently, such as every day if necessary and it can be done over a long period of time. There is no need to take supplements, probiotics or electrolytes.

At some point the upward flowing prana and downward flowing prana (Apana) will balance out and basti becomes unnecessary.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  3:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy, Christi
Thank you for tips !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000