Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Alternate nostril breathing and root to crown SBP?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  07:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree. Bhakti and regular meditation are all you really need. Nothing wrong with all the other practices of course. but those of us who don't do all the other practices don't have to feel like we will never "get there".
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chiron

Sometimes I wonder whether it really matters which practice we do, as long as the intention and bhakti are present..

Agreed a 100%.... just have to add to that, consistency with practices. Sticking with one set of practices over time is more effective than trying something new often.
If you want to strike water, keep digging in one place.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2022 :  5:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

If you are attempting to establish a superiority claim of one teaching over another, it will not go far here, because all practitioners are encouraged to find what works best for them, and it is not always going to be the same thing for everyone. We accept that fact in AYP, and do what we can to provide flexibility for the practitioner through extensive application of self-pacing and alternate approaches available within the AYP baseline system.

One size does not fit all. Yet, we all have to pick something, and stick with it for the long term if we expect to find significant results. That applies to any system.

What anyone "thinks" about one system versus another is of little consequence. The question is, are you practicing daily for the long term? If you are, using a time-tested approach, then all the answers will be there for you, and you won't have to be asking others to tell you what you can only find out in yourself through direct experience.

I just came across this thread and a question popped into my mind (regarding "One size does not fit all"). After years of practice and still lacking much of the direct experience mentioned in the text, can a system (such as AYP or an arbitrary other one) be trusted as working (for everyone) given enough time and patience? Or should the sails be set to another shore when direct experience still does not show up after a prolonged time?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2022 :  11:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

Everyone has their own path. If one path is not working for you, after giving it your best shot, then you should certainly try something else. The measure of success of a spiritual path is in how you feel during the day. Do you feel better than you did a week ago, or last month, or last year, or three years ago? Do you feel more peaceful, more forgiving, more loving? If the answer is "no", then I would suggest trying another path. After all, the only purpose of a spiritual path is to bring about an improvement in our lives.

If you do try out something different, do keep us posted on how it is going for you.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2022 :  02:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cato, I know you have long-time sensitivity issues and hope things are smoother for you. Whether a particular system works or not may also be influenced by what you brought with you. AYP was my first and only meditation practice, and I can report it works as advertised, but I know for many here, in particular those in premature awakenings, AYP may prove to be too much. Even if AYP is not for you, at least you have a better understanding of what it takes to become accustomed to an ecstatic body, from the hefty amount of knowledge provided in the free lessons.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2022 :  12:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
True.

Tbh, momentarily there is no other path that speaks to my heart. Be it TM, zazen, SRF, or else. Guess I'll keep going and see what comes along the way.

Enjoy the end of the year!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2022 :  12:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

What is your current daily practice routine? And do you manage to practice every day, or does your practice fluctuate?

Are you still experiencing energetic overload symptoms?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2022 :  8:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Christi,

after several years of AYP, I felt the urge to make a digression and dip into the teachings and practices of SRF. I did that for a few months. I very much like the writings, teachings and thoughts of Yogananda, but the practices felt kind of rigid. I had to do that step for myself after thinking about it for a while and came back to AYP.

Like the time before, I'm doing 15 minutes of DM and 5 minutes of rest. I do the practice twice every day. I cannot satisfactorily answer your question concerning overload symptoms as I started the practices recently. I will do my routine for a while and get back to your question.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2022 :  9:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

perhaps one more question along the way: In DM (mantra meditation), my body repeatedly tenses slightly. Even though the mind gets calm, the body tenses. Every time I realize, I try to relax. Probably those things should just let be with favoring the mantra. Is that correct?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

Yes, if you notice things happening in your body during meditation, simply easily favour the mantra over anything else that is happening. The body will take care of itself. The same thing would apply, for example, if someone notices that they have stopped breathing. They would simply come back to the mantra. The body will start breathing again on its own.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2023 :  12:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  05:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Cato,

When I notice my body tensing like that, I take a moment to breathe (one breath is sufficient) and let go, to release the straining. It is usually indicative that I am straining on the mantra as well instead of easy favoring. Then I resume favoring the mantra.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000