Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Yoni mudra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone

Do you know if the index fingers should stay on the outer corners of your eyes during the whole duration of the mudra or just on inhalation? How about the tongue - should it stay in Kechari st. 1 for the whole mudra or just during retention and exhalation.

Thanks!

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

Hi everyone

Do you know if the index fingers should stay on the outer corners of your eyes during the whole duration of the mudra or just on inhalation? How about the tongue - should it stay in Kechari st. 1 for the whole mudra or just during retention and exhalation.

Thanks!

All right Lili, I'll do a deal. I'll answer this question and you'll answer my question on 'poor man's (or woman's) secret spot'. Deal? Good! Thanks!

The hands are normally kept for the full duration of the mudra. But, as you imply, I believe it is less important to keep them there during the exhalation, so if they are really tired or something, that would be a good time to rest them.

You can rest them between the inhalation -exhalation if you need to for some reason. After a while though, I think you won't need/want to.

Same for the tongue.

-david

P.S. only joking about the 'deal' of course!

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 07 2005 10:56:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I am going now to read the poor men's secret spot.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David,

I forgot to ask you whether you should pause after yoni mudra and before meditation or not. You know there is a recommendation to pause for a minute or two between meditation and samyama and I was wondering whether the same goes between yoni mudra and meditation.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  4:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

David,

I forgot to ask you whether you should pause after yoni mudra and before meditation or not. You know there is a recommendation to pause for a minute or two between meditation and samyama and I was wondering whether the same goes between yoni mudra and meditation.

Hello Lili,

what is natural is best here. I would always pause for a few breaths at least between Yoni Mudra and meditation, to settle down a bit. It depends on how much 'prana' is stirred up. You might want to wait a little longer if you feel the need.

If and when you move on to do the Chin Pump (which would replace Yoni mudra before meditation then, Yoni mudra then coming after meditation), which stirs up a lot more, you may see that Yogani is specific about the need for a little rest between it and meditation. See:

http://www.geocities.com/advancedyo...ces/139.html

It's a very natural thing, based on the need to settle a bit before you change gear.

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 08 2005 4:42:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

do we need to pause between pranayama and meditation too? I know ayp says so, but i never pause (if at all, may be for 5 seconds or so)

Near

The reason many people fail in spirituality is that they try but make no attempt - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  07:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  09:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

Hi David,

do we need to pause between pranayama and meditation too? I know ayp says so, but i never pause (if at all, may be for 5 seconds or so)
Near

Near,

I think it is the same thing. I think your few seconds are fine, if it is enough. Enough pause to settle. Maybe only a few breaths, if that is all that is needed. More if a lot was stirred up. Just to make suer I am not going off the AYP track, I wanted to see the place in the lessons where it says to pause between pranayama and meditation. I couldn't find it --- where is it?

Some would classify that 'pause' as the start of the meditation. Many schools say to begin mantra yoga with a pause like that, regardless of what has happened before.

Regards,

-David

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 09 2005 09:21:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone

When I open my eyes after Yoni Mudra I am getting an effect very similar to a retinal burn for example there is a doughnut of light in front of me that is quite blinding, this fades within a few seconds just like a retinal burn.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2005 :  10:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,

I get this after Yoni Mudra, but only if I rub my eyes. It doesn't hurt or anything I just see very bright white light until I stop rubbing.

Anthem

Edited by - Anthem on Nov 27 2005 11:29:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Hi Richard,

I get this after Yoni Mudra, but only if I rub my eyes. It doesn't hurt or anything I just see very bright white light until I stop rubbing.

Anthem

Hello there thanks for answering.

Yes I get that when I rub my eyes but what I am talking about is different, when I come out of Yoni Mudra it is just like I have been staring at a hundred Wat light bulb it only lasts for a short time but I wondered if it is caused by pressure on the eyeballs or something.

yours myopically

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  09:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by azaz932001
yours myopically

RICHARD

Richard,

be very gentle on your eyes. Very light pressure. Imagine you are holding a piece of paper against each of your closed eyes.

Do you have severe myopia, btw? (A serious question with a follow-up, if yes)

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 29 2005 09:40:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Richard,

be very gentle on your eyes. Very light pressure. Imagine you are holding a piece of paper against each of your closed eyes.

-D

Thanks David I use only enough pressure to move the eyes up and to the centre.

The myopic bit was supposed to be a joke

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2020 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

-D

Is there something to consider concerning yoni mudra and severe myopia? I indeed have severe myopia...
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  11:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Cato
Is there something to consider concerning yoni mudra and severe myopia? I indeed have severe myopia...

No, it does not matter in the least. The effects of yoni mudra are at a different level than physical eye sight.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  06:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

Yoni mudra is probably beneficial for your eyes. Many years ago I read in a book that sambhavi mudra (which is part of yoni mudra) and yogic eye exercises when practiced regularly reduce and may even eliminate the need for eyeglasses. I have tested this some decades ago: My myopia decreased after 6 months of practice, but I still need glasses. I used to do eye exercises and sambhavi 15-20 minutes every day.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  09:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,

thank you, this is good news, as my myopia really bothers me. It really is high myopia and it can go along with negative effects for the retina.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  06:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000