Enlightenment Milestones
 Hobbies/interests and enlightenment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2023 :  11:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been pondering something for a long time. I have certain hobbies and interested and goals that I'd like to to achieve in this life. Very ordinary life things. One thing I'm working towards, for example, is getting a car that I would dedicate to racing around on race tracks, working on in my spare time, etc. I've always loved driving and this would be the ultimate expression of that for me.

My curiosity is this: if at some point I manage to progress enough in this life towards enlightenment, what will happen in these areas? Are my hobbies likely to fall away as a result of a detachment?
Do romantic love relationships have a tendency to undergo unexpected changes? My fianc? has no interest or belief in anything "spiritual". This doesn't bother me now, but I don't know what to expect in the advanced spiritual states.

I'm sure I'm asking very naive questions here, but it just seems impossible to get any sort of real understanding of what actually happens as we transition to the enlightened states.
For whatever reason, my "ego-driven" interests and goals feel important to me as they have been with me for many years and yet to be fulfilled.

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2023 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy, I have been considering these very issues recently. There does seem to be a movement towards deconstructing one's life as we move along. If we are to truly be free of ego attachment, we likely will shed a lot of what we've prioritized. This process is not always easy as one door has to close before another opens creating transitions in our life when we can feel ungrounded. In the later lessons Yogani digs deep into this topic in his exploration of non duality. I recently came down with Covid, my first time. Being stuck in bed, uncomfortable without being able to connect with people and activities I enjoy made me feel a lot of anxiety yesterday. This served as a mini teaching opportunity for me as I wasn't able to completely accept my circumstances with equanimity. On the other hand, I do find I am growing in my capacity to bounce back quicker. A firm commitment to the journey (fueled by Bhakti) does help it's just a slow process. With respect to your romantic relationships, you answered your own question..."have a tendency to undergo unexpected changes". People change. Circumstances change. Surrender and acceptance ultimately are our tools in navigating this difficult territory.
Go to Top of Page

andy

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2023 :  01:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul.

I'm mostly thinking about this from a very "un-enlightened" place. My love for my fiance has been growing steadily, I love progressively unravelling the mystery that is her and building a stronger and stronger bond. And with the car racing thing, I just haven't explored this enough to be satisfied that I've explored this interest enough. Both are very important to me and I definitely have an attachment to keep both around and not just lose interest as a result of practices.

I get that the only constant in life is change, and yet...

Thanks for pointing to the later lessons. I haven't made it all the way through yet, but I think I'm getting close to the lessons you mention, so I'll look forward to reading through those.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2023 :  03:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Andy

My sense is we don't worry about stages we are not in yet but be fully present in our lives, relationships, and activities that bring us joy while our practices prepare us to move beyond duality. What we love will endure and propel us forward. Yogani says it nicely in lesson 334:

quote:
We cannot play this game from the point of view of a state of consciousness we are not in yet. In other words, it is not useful to take the point of view of an advaitin if we are operating outside stillness, or even engaged relationally seeing ourselves as increasing stillness in action. We will do best to be honest about where we are and operate from there. As soon as we project in mind outside our present reality we are nowhere (out of our "now"), and this is where the difficulties arise.

Therefore, it is much better to be fully living the life that is before us, while engaging in practices and moving steadily toward higher stages of consciousness. We will be making choices along the way, even when our choice is active surrender to the divine flow coming through us, and finally choosing non-duality, where we see the choices occurring as part of our essential nature which is eternal stillness. This is "stillness in action."

When we reach the advaita (non-dual) stage as an ongoing direct experience in our life, we see that all is happening automatically, and we are the eternal awareness (void) behind it and in it. But this cannot be imagined. Those who try and live it in the mind will be in a disconnected state, much worse off than the "unenlightened" person making an honest effort to move ahead by every means available.

The suggestion is to be where you are, make the best choices you can for betterment, and by all means, enjoy the ride!

Always put in your honest efforts in what ever you care about, inviting in the silence as much as possible in your daily routines. It is the truest way to realize the future you desire.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2023 :  3:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy, Regret is a toxic energy. I agree with Dogboy on living your life with passion now (and the Yogani quote is an excellent reminder). Enjoy your partner. Explore your passions. I'm reminded of how passionate I was about woodworking years ago. For about a decade I created many nice pieces of furniture. One day I woke up and realized the passion was gone. I still have the option to build I just prefer focusing on other things. Worry about what might be is a time based anxiety projecting oneself endlessly into an imaginary future.
Go to Top of Page

andy

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2023 :  11:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both. That all makes sense and is great advice.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisG

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2024 :  10:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy,

Love this.

I too used to think about this a lot. I listen to a lot of Mickey Singer's talks (they've been life-changing) and he frequently talks about this topic.

His response to this is very simple: When the ego falls away you still do all these things in life (have relationships, create, hobbies) but it's out of pure enjoyment and expression of our true nature. After all, we are all made in the image of God. It makes sense that wouldn't a little of the ultimate creator rub off on his children. From the looks of this planet and the universe alone it seems God had a lot of fun creating all of "this" and God is egoless.

I'm sure you know your handful of people that became doctors, lawyers etc, just out of pure ego. I know I do. Heck I even dated one back in the day. I often wonder myself how many people truly from the bottom of their heart became what they are without going at it from a place of ego.

In a nutshell, we still can do everything and function in this world, but it comes from a place of sharing the beautiful essence of what we truly are, rather than coming from ego.

Blessings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000