Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Advanced self pacing: Samyama, DM time, witness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 12 2023 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

Last year I practiced Samyama and I have had a break from it until last month. According to the lessons samyama could be practiced as long as there is some witness which I surely have attending in my life.

I am wondering if samyama is dependent on how much you practice too. Once I added samyama again I have the urge to meditate longer than my usual 10 minute DM even if I know that 10 minutes keeps me stable without it. Last year my balance would remain with longer meditation time as long as I also had samyama practice.

In other words, I'm asking if meditation time needs to be higher for Samyama or if the inherent bliss in the subtle nervous should be my only directive. More time in meditation brings more bliss in my life directly but ofc I remember the wise words of Yogani, 'less is more' in the long run. I feel Samyama is premature if I feel I need more bliss to compensate, but do I really compensate when I can comfortably add more practice time in tandem with samyama?

For context...Having now added samyama for a month the perspective changed. I am not as relaxed as with 10 min meditation only but I am more aware of what is happening which brings another type of calm. I feel more devoted but less interested and unopinionated about grounding every-day non-spiritual things.

PS. Happy experimenting and self pacing you who are walking the razors edge of sensitivity!

Edited by - Wil on May 12 2023 4:49:14 PM

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - May 13 2023 :  01:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wil

First of all, let me commend you for finding stability by disciplined self pacing. Regardless of how much yoga one does, a yogi must know how to ground, and incorporate it into the everyday, it is not a chore.

Samyama is a terrific practice for you, as over time it opens you to radiance, to feeling beyond the flesh. Each sutra is a prayer to the Divine, a touchstone to who we are, what we want to achieve, what we have gratitude for, and why we practice. For this yogi, if anything, this practice is very grounding, especially when followed by rest.

quote:
I am wondering if samyama is dependent on how much you practice too. Once I added samyama again I have the urge to meditate longer than my usual 10 minute DM even if I know that 10 minutes keeps me stable without it. Last year my balance would remain with longer meditation time as long as I also had samyama practice.

In other words, I'm asking if meditation time needs to be higher for Samyama or if the inherent bliss in the subtle nervous should be my only directive. More time in meditation brings more bliss in my life directly but ofc I remember the wise words of Yogani, 'less is more' in the long run. I feel Samyama is premature if I feel I need more bliss to compensate, but do I really compensate when I can comfortably add more practice time in tandem with samyama?

This is most likely Bhakti kicking in, now that you have stabilized. Once you have a conductive (ecstatic) body, less is definitely more because the yogi does not have to try hard to invite sensations, which in time purifies further. The nervous system is always evolving as we practice. Yours may be asking you to expand more.

Add minutes to DM and inch yourself along. You have a history to respect. DM is the core of our practices because in the vacuum of inner silence we are closest to our “true selves” while we exist on Earth. When the mind is not thinking, when we are doing nothing but tethering to the mantra, witnessing and surrendering whatever presents, all our other practices become enhanced as we purify there. In my humble opinion, more DM will probably help, and your samyama practice is an avenue for you to express your inside outside, and possibly grounding and maintaining your stability. You know your warning signs to back off if discomfort returns.

Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 13 2023 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing to hear Dogboy, it feels humbling to know that highly developed Yogis need sensitive Self-pacing. Self-pacing is a cornerstone I think makes AYP shine very brightly.

Speaking of resting, I have actually also bumped up my rest time to 10 minutes if needed to make sure that is not an issue.

I realized that I have done the "I thought-who am I?" in the end of my 5 minutes instead of Akasha. I'm going to leave that out for sometime before I do more DM.

With self pacing and adjusting the variables of rest etc. I feel like a scientist behind the levers, knobs and panels hehe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000